Sign in to follow this  
MajorMike

Questions from potential purchaser

I was recommended this piece of software on as it would

1.improve frame rates and make the simulation smoother

2.reduce the chance of OOM problems with advanced aircraft such as the PMDG 777

3.make the scenery sharper

At present I do not use DX10 preview and it is not clear whether if you use this software that you need to have set FSX to DX10 preview first.

Any clarification on these issues would be appreciated

Michael

The best advice - is to first remove enb series if you have it or any FXAA injector as they will crash DX10.

Then select DX10 preview mode in FSX and see what you think.

Nothing in the product impacts any of the things that you mention, it merely removes annoyances such as flashing runways, opaque fences, jagged VC shadows and assists with some sceneries that don't work.

Dear Steve,

Excuse my ignorance but please could you clarify what are 'enb series' and  'FXAA injector'

Thank-you.

Michael

Dear Steve,

Excuse my ignorance but please could you clarify what are 'enb series' and  'FXAA injector'

Thank-you.

Michael

I also did a 1. 'manual installation' of Bojotes-shader (shsa3mod.zip)

2. installed Steve's Shader Release v3.2.2

3. applied a DX10 Rain fix per http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0sOk3J3tc4&list=PL24AC0C34D4E41439

Do I have to do something about these already applied fixes B4 I install the DX10 Scenery Fixer...?

Dear Steve,

Thank-you.

Michael

If I may, if you don't know what they are, they are unlikely to trouble you.

As a matter of interest, they are software designed to affect the appearance of FSX.

Although many people like what they do, if certain remnants of them are left after their

uninstallation, they can prevent FSX from running at all.

If you follow Steve's advice and you like what you see, his fixer will remove

the well documented shortcomings of the Dx10 preview mode left by Microsoft.

If you have never used the DX10 preview mode before, be aware that FSX will add a second

[DISPLAY.Device.xxxxxxxxx .0] entry to the fsx.cfg file.

You will find that any changes you have made in the Settings\Customise\Graphics page will

not be there in Dx10 preview mode and you will have to set them again.

Many people have judged Dx10 by the first impression and ditched it, not realising that it only looks as poor it does because their settings from Dx9, such as antialiasing and filtering, have not been set.

In my experience,

it does 1.improve frame rates and make the simulation smoother

it does 2.reduce the chance of OOM problems with advanced aircraft such as the PMDG 777

it does 3.make the scenery sharper but only because one can use a higher level of detail

radius without affecting performance.

I don't see sharper scenery but I do see more of the scenery sharp.

With all due respect, I do think that it is pretty clear that the "Dx10 preview" must be set.

It might otherwise be called the Dx9 fixer?

I would also recommend this piece of software to you.

Regards,

Nick

"With all due respect, I do think that it is pretty clear that the "Dx10 preview" must be set.

It might otherwise be called the Dx9 fixer?"

The Fixer automatically enables DX10 so you don't need to put a check in the Preview box. 

Thanks for that, the OP is being recommended to try the DX 10 mode at this stage and even if he does decide to buy the Fixer, Dx 10 still needs to be selected on the control panel.

Regards,

Nick