Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DylanM

Anyone care to share your favourite REX textures for OPUS

Just got OPUSFsx and love it - the speed and accuracy of the engine is just amazing.

Now to settle on a texture set to complete the experience. Would anyone running REX care to share your favourite set of cloud textures?

Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Dylan,

Here are a few options for you:

1. It's easier for me to quote the words from the REX User Manual:

With REX EDGE you have the ability to share your customized texture themes with the whole REX Community. If you create that killer look and would like to share it with others, you now have the ability to do that. Or with the simple click of a button you can install another user’s customized texture theme in a matter of seconds.

We have added categories to texture themes so that you can search by creator name or texture theme category.

Select BROWSE on the TEXTURES page and the window in the sample above appears. You may search, select and load

texture themes that other REX users have created.

Once you choose a texture set to experiment with, click the THEME ID number to automatically load the desired theme into your REX. You may narrow the available criteria by using the SEARCH function. You may exit this screen at any time by selecting CANCEL to return to the main TEXTURES page. You must select the INSTALL button for textures to install into FSX/P3D.

2. On our Facebook page we have a series called Inside The Shot, showcasing what textures were used, examples, and how to obtain them.

Fantastic - thanks Tim! I'll hunt around and see what's been posted up.

There is one texture set I found in the area Tim refers to and it is submitted by REX (May be by Tim) and it is titled ??? If I remember ( not at my FSX rig). Anyhow, I use it and it is a really realistic set.

Regards,

Fantastic - thanks Tim! I'll hunt around and see what's been posted up.

Cheers Dylan!

How do you browse through the oh so many user subitted themes in a meaningful way? As far as I'm aware I can only browse through them by text categories (fair weather + user title). A different design with perhaps a snapshot photo would make it a bit easier to find good themes? Also, a user rating would be good as well.

Andreas,

Thanks for your questions and suggestions. We have thought about this already and we're planning to incorporate that in a future update. At this time however, you can simply filter them by weather 'category' or type in a keyword etc. via the text field/dropdown menu, or you can simply filter the list by clicking on THEME ID, CREATOR, THEME, CATEGORY or the CREATED column headers.

I recently got REX Plus and I am trying to learn how to use it correctly. The weather engine needs to be on all the time while flying correct? And , is there a way to select different weather conditions from the REX console (storm, rainy day, foggy conditions, etc) like we do within FSX ?

I recently got REX Plus and I am trying to learn how to use it correctly. The weather engine needs to be on all the time while flying correct?

Hi Mark,

If you use the REX weather engine, then yes, it will need to stay 'on' during your stay within FSX/Prepar3d. If using REX for just textures, turn OFF 'Enable Weather Download' within the REX/CONFIGURATION MANAGER/WEATHER ENGINE tab. This will ensure REX will start and be immediately available without wait.

is there a way to select different weather conditions from the REX console (storm, rainy day, foggy conditions, etc) like we do within FSX ?

There is no way to do that from within the weather engine popup screen, however, you should check out the Random Weather feature in REX. Do yourself a favor and read the user manual that comes with REX, there's MUCH to it!

Andreas,

Thanks for your questions and suggestions. We have thought about this already and we're planning to incorporate that in a future update. At this time however, you can simply filter them by weather 'category' or type in a keyword etc. via the text field/dropdown menu, or you can simply filter the list by clicking on THEME ID, CREATOR, THEME, CATEGORY or the CREATED column headers.

Tim,

Thanks for your response! Much appreciated :)

Search in REX for 'NyxxUK'. NyxxUK is a member from this forum: he didn't create the set himself but it is based on his selection of textures (which he once posted on this forum) and uploaded by someone else. I've been using his selection of textures for quite some time now and I can't imagine using another set. Take note that I only use REX for sky textures and cloud textures but I am sure the rest of the set is great too. It gives me very realistic skies (at least for Europe, where I do all my flying) together with OpusFSX.

Search in REX for 'NyxxUK'. NyxxUK is a member from this forum: he didn't create the set himself but it is based on his selection of textures (which he once posted on this forum) and uploaded by someone else. I've been using his selection of textures for quite some time now and I can't imagine using another set. Take note that I only use REX for sky textures and cloud textures but I am sure the rest of the set is great too. It gives me very realistic skies (at least for Europe, where I do all my flying) together with OpusFSX.

cant seem to find these textures :(.  Might they be under a different name?

Thanks Jeroen, but I can't seem to find that set either :unsure:

Jeroen, I can't seem to locate NyxxUK on our REX Edge server. Are you certain this is the name that was used? I tried both the OverDrive and non-OverDrive version as well.

yep that's me but someone else upload the set after like Jeroen they loved them. They did say they called the set NyxxUK.

I Still use the same set so I can look it up if the set is no longer there.

I never used the actual set but copied all settings from the post NyxxUK made way back then. And I as David said, someone else created a set of it and named it like that. But since no one is able to find it, I think it would be best if David posted his settings once more or (maybe even better) creates a new set and upload it himself. ;) Anyway, sorry for the confusion and for letting you all search in vain...

EDIT

This is the post I got the textures from:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/391714-orbx-eng-a-complete-waste-of-time/?p=2525816

(I thought it was a lot longer ago but that doesn't matter.) I use all those textures apart from the Sun and Wave animation (which I both have at default with DX10).

EDIT 2

And here is the post from the guy who uploaded the set!  ^_^

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/391714-orbx-eng-a-complete-waste-of-time/?p=2541596

He called it a winter set because at that time NyxxUK said he used these textures for winter and he might post some other settings for summer, but imho the texture set is PERFECT all the year around.

Theme ID 1865

Creator LawnDartLeo

Theme NYxxUK's winter set
Category Snowy weather

Maybe this helps to find the set...? Or maybe the uploader removed it (if possible, I don't know).

And your right I used them all year round. But I now use the water setting that I think is called carm.

Summer the only change would be a little darker blue sky. But not a lot darker.

Thanks again for the kind words

Maybe this helps to find the set...?

Thanks Jeroen, will try again.

Fantastic - thank you again gents!

[flurry of config changes commences]

Thanks for your question

I have a question that hopefully you can answer. I have REX installed on one PC but it turns out I am going to be getting an additional PC so I am wondering is it possible to transfer REX to that computer off this computer or do I just need to buy REX again?

I have a question that hopefully you can answer. I have REX installed on one PC but it turns out I am going to be getting an additional PC so I am wondering is it possible to transfer REX to that computer off this computer or do I just need to buy REX again?

Hi Sportsfan,

You may transfer it to the other computer with no problem at all, no need to buy it again.

Hope this helps.

Hi Sportsfan,

You may transfer it to the other computer with no problem at all, no need to buy it again.

Hope this helps.

Great thank you very much.