Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan23

Tweak suggestions?

Ok reading a tweaking guide felt quite overwhelming so I am hoping perhaps I can get a paired down list of what are the super important ones that I must have.

The ones that I have done are the highmemfix, bufferpools, I know the affinitymask is a big one but I can't figure out how to compute that for 6 cores. Not really sure what it even does. 

Aside from those are there any major ones that are must haves?

I thought about just buying a FSX config booster type thing that I read about but I dunno if they are worth it or not. Of course the reviews say they are amazing and everything but I dunno. 

I feel like I have this computer but yet I have basically zero clue how to optimize it for FSX. 

So the most recent test I did was the 

PMDG 737 at JFK, the only add-on scenery I have is ORBX global and FS global 2010 right now. 

In the VC at JFK I was getting about 14-18 FPS with the graphics all maxed. I lowered the auto gen and it stayed around 20 in the VC. Is that considered acceptable for that view in that area or do I need to go even lower or something? 

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!!

I believe that Highmemfix is considered to be one of the most important tweaks, and that's the only one I remember putting there myself (except for a few other lines/changes but those aren't exactly performance tweaks, but only adress some things that annoyed me). As for Bufferpools and Affinitymask, I'm afraid I can't help at all, I don't understand what those do myself, so I left them out. I simly believe that if I don't understand what something means/does I'd better not use it (but that's only my opinion).

it stayed around 20 in the VC. Is that considered acceptable for that view in that area or do I need to go even lower or something?

It will depend on whom you ask - I would probably say that is great, and I definitely wouldn't change anything about it, if I have 20 FPS at JFK, but there are other who will say that FPS below 25 is bad. But the question should rather be: Are you satisfied with it? If so, don't let others tell you what is acceptable and what not. If you can live with it, I'd say anything's fine!

I believe that Highmemfix is considered to be one of the most important tweaks, and that's the only one I remember putting there myself (except for a few other lines/changes but those aren't exactly performance tweaks, but only adress some things that annoyed me). As for Bufferpools and Affinitymask, I'm afraid I can't help at all, I don't understand what those do myself, so I left them out. I simly believe that if I don't understand what something means/does I'd better not use it (but that's only my opinion).

It will depend on whom you ask - I would probably say that is great, and I definitely wouldn't change anything about it, if I have 20 FPS at JFK, but there are other who will say that FPS below 25 is bad. But the question should rather be: Are you satisfied with it? If so, don't let others tell you what is acceptable and what not. If you can live with it, I'd say anything's fine!

All the tweaks I really don't understand what any of them do. It just seemed like there was a consensus about a few that need to be in there. 

I mean I guess to me I guess it would come down to whether the added changes would have a big impact or not. If the few changes I made are the only ones that really do anything then I will just settle for what I got in that test I did. I just want to try and make FSX as best as it can be so if that means adding 100 tweaks or adding those config boosters then that is what I would like to do. 

Haven't you heard? Nobody 'tweaks' any more. It's considered passé. HIGHMEMFIX=1 is all you need.

There now follows a deluge of 'must have' tweaks. :lol:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Haven't you heard? Nobody 'tweaks' any more. It's considered passé. HIGHMEMFIX=1 is all you need.

Ha, yea that was the #1 tweak that I saw mentioned. I should probably read about what these tweaks actually do. Do the FSX booster things do anything helpful or am I better off doing all tweaks myself?

There are many tweaks out there. Highmemfix is mandatory. The other one that I find indispensable is Usepools=0. Speaking in regard to my system only, it gave me 4-6 FPS.

Also before trying a slew of tweaks, might also want to manage your sliders within FSX a bit. A ton of road traffic, extremely dense autogen, and High 2x water can kill performance. Play with the FSX sliders until you find a balance of performance and scenery to your liking (if you have not).

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

There are many tweaks out there. Highmemfix is mandatory. The other one that I find indispensable is Usepools=0. Speaking in regard to my system only, it gave me 4-6 FPS.

Also before trying a slew of tweaks, might also want to manage your sliders within FSX a bit. A ton of road traffic, extremely dense autogen, and High 2x water can kill performance. Play with the FSX sliders until you find a balance of performance and scenery to your liking (if you have not).

Yea I have found an increase in FPS from the tweaks I did. I haven't messed much with the sliders in the game though. I kinda figured I would be able to basically run the sliders pretty much close to maxed out with my system but perhaps that is not the case. 

I have no idea what your specs are, so it is very difficult to recommend any .cfg tweaks.

HIGHMEMFIX=1 is not a tweak, it is a fix. The major tweak as far as performance is concerned is BP=0, but whether to use it is highly dependant on your CPU "and" your GPU.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I think it is more the word "tweak" that has become passé rather than some tweaks themselves. From my limited experience and knowledge, there are some let us say additions to the FSX .cfg that definitely do enhance both performance and fluidity compared to a vanilla .cfg, without a doubt.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

I have no idea what your specs are, so it is very difficult to recommend any .cfg tweaks.

HIGHMEMFIX=1 is not a tweak, it is a fix. The major tweak as far as performance is concerned is BP=0, but whether to use it is highly dependant on your CPU "and" your GPU.

Regards,

I have a I4960 4.3 GHZ, 32 GB RAM, Geforce780 if that helps you. 

I have a I4960 4.3 GHZ, 32 GB RAM, Geforce780 if that helps you.

I am not familiar with your CPU, but if it is at 4.3g and you have a GTX780, the tweaks below should be a good starting point. (As I posted earlier, HIGHMEMFIX=1 is actually a fix)

[bUFFERPOOLS]

Poolsize=0

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14. (If your CPU is a quad core)

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 (or 2048 or 1024 whatever works for you)

[DISPLAY]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

If you want to go further, Google Word Not Allowed's FSX tweaks.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Yea I have found an increase in FPS from the tweaks I did. I haven't messed much with the sliders in the game though. I kinda figured I would be able to basically run the sliders pretty much close to maxed out with my system but perhaps that is not the case. 

First thing I would do, is reduce the traffic and autogen sliders, until you get at least 20-25 fps in busy places.

Try turning freeway traffic to zero as a start.  You can always turn them higher..

A solid 30 fps outside major airports is a sign of a well tuned system.

I'm assuming you also have Vsynch set to 1/2 refresh rate in Nivida Inspector, that adds to smoothness (a lot).

Bert

I am not familiar with your CPU, but if it is at 4.3g and you have a GTX780, the tweaks below should be a good starting point. (As I posted earlier, HIGHMEMFIX=1 is actually a fix)

[bUFFERPOOLS]

Poolsize=0

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14. (If your CPU is a quad core)

[GRAPHICS]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 (or 2048 or 1024 whatever works for you)

[DISPLAY]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

If you want to go further, Google Word Not Allowed's FSX tweaks.

Regards,

Yea that was the guide that I found. And I did I think all of those except for the Affinitymask setting because I have 6 cores I didn't know what to put. 

First thing I would do, is reduce the traffic and autogen sliders, until you get at least 20-25 fps in busy places.

Try turning freeway traffic to zero as a start.  You can always turn them higher..

A solid 30 fps outside major airports is a sign of a well tuned system.

I'm assuming you also have Vsynch set to 1/2 refresh rate in Nivida Inspector, that adds to smoothness (a lot).

Ok I will be sure to lower those first. I actually haven't DL'd Vsync or Nividia inspector but I assume I should haha. 

Ok so a little update. I did DL Nvidia inspector and set the refresh rate to 1/2 also set the FPS limiter to 30 and set the in game FPS to unlimited. I think I read that is a good thing to do. 

The addons that I am running now are. 

Rex+ overdrive

PMDG 737

My traffic pro 5.4

xtreme FSX pc

DX 10 fixer

Still yet to add are Radar contact 4, FS2crew as well as the add-on scenery that was suggested. 

I have airline traffic at 70% road at I think 12% boats and the other boat setting at 15% not sure if that is a good number or not for those but that is what I used for the test. I have auto gen complexity maxed with auto gen density at dense

Ok so with all those programs running with FSX with the PMDG at LAX I got anywhere from 18 to 24 in the VC at the gate but it jumped to close to 30 while taxiing but once I took off it jumped almost instantly to over 40 FPS and was around 40 to 50 while I was flying. 

It would appear FSX is functioning quite well at least from what I can tell. Maybe it could be even better if I dropped down the airline traffic or something. 

The only issue I am having still is I can't get Ezdok to work in FSX. I can set the views fine and everything but in the VC I just can't get the Ezdok views to work unless I am in windowed mode manually clicking on the Ezdok views. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated. 

Another add-on that was suggested was FSUIPC4? Is that a must have add-on? I am not quite sure what it does really but I have seen it mentioned quite a few times. 

UsePools=0

Has a very significant impact on my system Big increase in frame rate. But ONLY with a heavy weather scenario. Test it with FSX Grey and Rainy weather scenario.

AffinityMask=14

I have it, but haven't tested it thoroughly enough to comment.

HIGHMEMFIX=1

A fix, put it in, you need it.

That's it, all I have, FSX runs superbly.

One thing I have noticed is that with the frame rate limiter set to unlimited, I get a HUGE increase in frame rate. Something like 37%. And luckily for me, I don't get many stutters.

Bare in mind though, that my needs are different to many. I don't go in for hyper detailed airport add-on's, and keep sliders at a sensible level. I go for the systems, not so much eye candy.

3770K GTX 580 [GTX 770 SC 4 GB arriving today, because I need a second card]

This is with a 120 Hz monitor. I don't use any 1/2 or in my case 1/4 refresh rate settings.

For anisotropic filtering, I find that NI set to application controlled works best. It eliminates the frame rate drop over REX water. I discovered this quite a while ago and posted about it on the REX forum.

I use REX, GEX, and UTX.