Sign in to follow this  
bönan

Turboprops - have I missed any?

I love to fly mid-size turboprops in FSX. This kind of one-hour hops are so much more interesting than 4-hour flights in the NGX, no matter how well-designed it is. Just wondering, if I have missed any high-quality turboprops I should try? I'm always intersted in expanding my virtual hangar! ^_^

I have these already:

Majestic Dash8

PMDG J41

Rick Piper's freeware BAe 748 (rather good, try it!)
Carenado B200 (a bit too small for my taste, though)

Any more I should try? Right now I'm really, really looking forward for the Metroliner! :lol:

Maybe they're all too small for your taste, but try the Flight1 King Air B200, the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended or the Realair Beechcraft Turbine Duke.

The ATR is a port over...  but still a good bird for its time.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Turboprops are definitely a lot of fun! The trick to finding good airplanes is to look beyond the "Best Sellers" pages of websites.

Tim Conrad has several great freeware aircraft, including a few turboprops, from the A-29 MIL trainer, to the Russian An-32 airliner (and a few others in between, such as the PC-6).

VirtualCol also has some decent turboprops, such as the Fokker 50 and ATR-42/72. The VirtualCol aircraft, while not amazing in any particular area, are not bad either, or anything close to it, and are also non-expensive, at around $10 each. Certainly worth it if you can spend $10 and want a turboprop.

One you might try, and a favorite of mine, is the Saab 340 by FFS. It includes the Saab 340 Argus (AEW/C), the Argus without radar, the 340A, 340A Cargo, and the 340B, along with just about every (real) livery you can imagine. The external model is great, the 2D panels look nice, and the VC has good enough modelling and textures to keep me satisfied. More importantly, the flight modelling and systems are very realistic, and it does a good job representing a turboprop (Majestic currently has the only "true" turboprop for FS, though).

The tricky part is acquiring the Saab. It is not officially distributed anywhere, meaning it must be downloaded from a third party source. The legality is a "grey area", and as such, I cannot endorse acquiring it this way. That said, it is certainly a great airplane, and worth looking into if you like turboprops.

Another great freeware bird is the IL-18. It has a nice model and textures, well done flight modelling, and a good panel. The VC is also really well done, with a very realistic systems simulation.

Hope you enjoy these fun turboprops,

I see you have the carenado 200 but I would really recommend the Flight 1... awesome plane.

As said above the Razbam Metro should be good.

Other then that, not much different from above

Realair duke

JS41

Don't have the Twin Otter but it should be good.

I second the advice on Milton Shupe's Dash 7, it's an awesome freeware plane, and from the visual qulaity you wouldn#t really believe this one was actually modelled for FS8 or FS9. A nice plane for very short strips, if you like that challenge!

How do you rank Carenado's Caravan? I watched the Discovery series about Era Alaska and I came to think that this plane could be among the Christmas sales list.

The Caravan is my favorite of theirs (the Skymaster a close second). Especially if you throw in the updated FDE and a RealityXP GPS.