Sign in to follow this  
ronnie.d

Landing Problem - PMDG 737-800 (Ryan Air)

Hi, I am sorry if this question sounds a bit stupid but I am a rookie trying to learn my way round PMDG aircrafts. During my ILS approach at EGNT (Newcastle) 8 out of 10 times I am finding it very difficult to land as the aircraft makes a sharp right/left turn to align with the runway at the very last minute. I haven't really checked the distance but by very last minute I mean about 1 - 3 nm or so - Yes it's that close! I tried to land on both runways (07 and 25) but had the same problem every time.

Also I had the same problem at EGCC (Manchester) runway 05L but I had no issue landing on runway 05R and 23R.

I followed the FSX route planner....

So what am I doing wrong here?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ronnie.

Hi, I am sorry if this question sounds a bit stupid but I am a rookie trying to learn my way round PMDG aircrafts. During my ILS approach at EGNT (Newcastle) 8 out of 10 times I am finding it very difficult to land as the aircraft makes a sharp right/left turn to align with the runway at the very last minute. I haven't really checked the distance but by very last minute I mean about 1 - 3 nm or so - Yes it's that close! I tried to land on both runways (07 and 25) but had the same problem every time.

Also I had the same problem at EGCC (Manchester) runway 05L but I had no issue landing on runway 05R and 23R.

I followed the FSX route planner....

So what am I doing wrong here?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ronnie.

Are you following a STAR? Are you using ILS or LOC? Have you updated the NAV database by any chance?

Hi Jeremy,

Apparently there is no STAR for EGNT approaches. I am sure I selected ILS landing on the FMC. Sorry haven't updated NAV data, I don't know how to do it but I don't think it's an issue as I have checked the recent airport charts etc.

Ronnie.

No SIDS or STARS available for EGNT

http://www.vatsim-uk.co.uk/EGNT/

No SIDS or STARS available for EGNT

With no STAR available you need to vector yourself onto an intercept heading, about 30 degrees off the runway heading, aiming at the final approach fix (the waypoint on the ILS begining "FF"). Use the ND map to help you steer to this approach angle using HDG mode. For EGNT 07, you would want a heading of either 040 or 100, depending on which side you approach from. For EGNT 25, the heading should be either 220 or 280. With an approach like this, the autopilot has a chance to capture the localiser properly, with no large heading changes required.

The autopilot isn't magic, it has to be given a chance to work properly. The localiser capture law assumes that the intercept heading will be within such limits, it will not work properly if they aren't.

The other thing you need to check is that the ILS course is correctly set. It must be the same as that shown on the FSX map. If you aren't sure, the NGX has an option to let it set this for you automatically (the real aircraft does not do this).

ki9cAAb.jpg

With no STAR available you need to vector yourself onto an intercept heading, about 30 degrees off the runway heading, aiming at the final approach fix (the waypoint on the ILS begining "FF"). Use the ND map to help you steer to this approach angle using HDG mode. For EGNT 07, you would want a heading of either 040 or 100, depending on which side you approach from. For EGNT 25, the heading should be either 220 or 280. With an approach like this, the autopilot has a chance to capture the localiser properly, with no large heading changes required.

The autopilot isn't magic, it has to be given a chance to work properly. The localiser capture law assumes that the intercept heading will be within such limits, it will not work properly if they aren't.

The other thing you need to check is that the ILS course is correctly set. It must be the same as that shown on the FSX map. If you aren't sure, the NGX has an option to let it set this for you automatically (the real aircraft does not do this).

Thanks a lot Kevin! That makes it clear why the aircraft was turning at the last minute giving me no chance to get used to the gliding slope. I am pretty sure I chose the ILS course right but didn't set the headings right. Hopefully it will solve my lading problem this time. Will keep you posted. 

Best,

Ronnie

Also make sure that you enter in the frequency for the localizer beforehand.

Thanks a lot Kevin! That makes it clear why the aircraft was turning at the last minute giving me no chance to get used to the gliding slope. I am pretty sure I chose the ILS course right but didn't set the headings right. Hopefully it will solve my lading problem this time. Will keep you posted. 

Best,

Ronnie

Glad to be able to help, best of luck.

ki9cAAb.jpg

There are no official approach paths on the UK AIP ( http://www.ais.org.uk ) for EGNT that follow what airliners use (If from the south west, they'll approach via P18 / UP18 and if heading for 25, turn east and fly over Washington then over the coast (I think there's an old NDB at Souter (SJ)) before making a turn onto the localiser)

There's a chart on the egnt website that shows the general approach and deparature routes used. www.newcastleairport.com/flight-paths - but I doubt those intersections can be found in the PMDG FMC.

There are no official approach paths on the UK AIP ( http://www.ais.org.uk ) for EGNT that follow what airliners use (If from the south west, they'll approach via P18 / UP18 and if heading for 25, turn east and fly over Washington then over the coast (I think there's an old NDB at Souter (SJ)) before making a turn onto the localiser)

There's a chart on the egnt website that shows the general approach and deparature routes used. www.newcastleairport.com/flight-paths - but I doubt those intersections can be found in the PMDG FMC.

Thank you so much!  ^_^ Even in real life I have noticed flights usually fly over the coast and then make a left pattern to land on 25.