Sign in to follow this  
Guest B1900 Mech

A Tribute To My Friend Scott

Guest B1900 Mech

Scott was the captain of Colgan 9446, On 8-26-03 He lost his life along with his 1st officer Steven Dean. Scott was a great guy, Who was also an A&P Mechanic, So he gravitated towards "Us Grease Monkeys" He was the consumate employee, who would go out of his way to make his passengers comfortable! For example, On a hot day in KLGA, He would drag the filthy air conditioning hose from the jetway, and stick it in the cargo door to precool the A/C Because he cared. He could have said thats a ramprat's job, But that was the way Scott was! He was on a Indy Pit crew, And I was on a SCCA Pit crew, So we Bonded instantly, And spent long hours talking of racing ;) He would give me all his outdated Jepps, Because He knew I was a flight sim nut, Two days before his death, I brought my computer setup into work, along with my CHProducts Yoke & Pedals, And I played controler/instructor while he flew. He loved it, and said it handled better than our level-D 1900D sim! Colgan Air will be a lonely and empty place with out them. Our Thought's And Prayers Go out to Scott and Steve's Familys. Jim Driscoll, A&P Mechanic...Reporthttp://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20030904X01459&key=1 Photo Of 240 CJ By Rudy Chiarello 6-03 In KBOShttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/37213.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/37214.jpghttp://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=2...904X01459&key=1http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/37215.jpg

I hear the Colgan guys going into Rutland All the time on the scanner.... I probably heard your friend Scott some time if he did any of those runs.Brian

Guest Motormouse

Condolences on your loss from a fellow 'techie'.We forget,sometimes,how unforgiving aviation can be.PeteUk A&C

Guest B1900 Mech

Thank's Guys, The realy frustrating thing is not knowing what caused this crash. As I was the dayshift guy available the NTSB used my tools and knowlage of the A/C to assist in the removal of components from the wreckage. It was very sad helping in this task, Having worked on this A/C many times. I wish I could comment on specifics, But I can't at this time. And yes, Scott flew into Rutland often.

Guest FS_freak

My condolescense goes to you Jim, and to the pilots' families. Isn't it obvious it had something to do with the elevator trim? After takeoff the trim was rapidly set to progressive negative values. The actuators had just been replaced as well as the forward trim cable. Trim continuity to the pedestal could not be confirmed. What really scares me is that this is the same type that went down in January at Charlotte NC with around 20 pax on board in a very similar accident. Maybe a design flaw?Heads up Jim, they are in a better place now. We're just further back in line...Mauricio

Guest B1900 Mech

All I can say is that because of the Fwd. cable change, The elevator trim portion of the DFDR was MEL'd,Pending data dump,and calibration, And the trim positions cannott be counted on as being accurate.

Guest Motormouse

>All I can say is that because of the Fwd. cable change, The>elevator trim portion of the DFDR was MEL'd,Pending data>dump,and calibration, And the trim positions cannott be>counted on as being accurate.I take it(from the above) that the fdr on the 1900 is one of those that needs positive engine oil pressure,&/or both generators on-line and aircraft (not) on ground signal before it starts recording??:-wavePete

Guest B1900 Mech

The battery switch must be on with bus ties closed, And it doesn't matter as far as air/ground sensing. It is powered by 115 V AC. Also the CVR is powered by the triple fed BUS as in the above DFDR. It does not require engine driven generators or oil pressure.

Guest Motormouse

Ok, thanks,115vac is one hell of a load on batt power!!Thats' why I asked, last small turboprop I worked,(Jetstream) had to have both engines running and gen on-line before dfdr would start recording.Cvr would start as soon as batts 'on'.:-wavePeteUK A&C

Guest B1900 Mech

Whenever I work inside the a/c, Esp. when removing or replacing seats,(which requires a lot of rubber mallet slamming,profanitys, etc.) I pull the CVR Breakers;)