Sign in to follow this  
gforce96

Help! FSX won't work with Windows 8.1 (official 8.1 release).

Just upgraded to Windows 8.1. Now FSX repeatedly crashes, usually after I click any any option using the drop-down menus. I've tried running it in both Vista and Windows 7 compatibility modes. Here's the error info:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: atiumdag.dll, version: 9.14.10.984, time stamp: 0x522fc960
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00024c81
Faulting process id: 0xd58
Faulting application start time: 0x01cecdbb18fa9ac8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\atiumdag.dll
Report Id: 97046b5d-39ae-11e3-bea1-d43d7e38f527
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any help would be appreciated!

This is a known problem with your ATI drivers.  Downgrade your drivers to 13.4.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "WIN8 OS Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

This is a known problem with your ATI drivers.  Downgrade your drivers to 13.4.

Best regards,

Jim

Windows 8.1 doesn't work under CCC 13.4.

I've been desperately looking for a solution to this problem... but apparently, there is none as of yet.

Works for me,except I was getting ntdll.dll errors when using Alt+Enter.

(with Ulautomationcore.dll installed).

Clearing the scenery cache seems to work (so far).

I'm wating to install all my scenery before using Steve's fixer

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Call Microsoft and complain that their product won't run on their operating system. If enough people call and annoy their reps they will have to fix it or issue a statement that FSX is "no longer supported".

I've been running FSX (Nvidia card) on a clean install of 8.1 for about three weeks now and it's been absolutely fine.

I've been running FSX (Nvidia card) on a clean install of 8.1 for about three weeks now and it's been absolutely fine.

Good to hear.

Microsoft hasn't been responsible for FSX for quite some time-since they closed their game section so I wouldn't expect much help from them.

after much messing around with the .cfg and trying dx10 which I normally run , I find if I use ftx scenery with a small a/c like caronado stuff it works fine but combine ftx with even the airbus extended and after a while a ctd is a certainty reduce the scenery  or the a/c to something less demanding and it works ok . So am trying to turn off some services to increase the VAS to see if that helps. However I think the problem is something more fundamental

Nigel Porter

simhaven. group see: https://www.facebook.com/groups/493455508243014

This makes sense because the Airbus extended is known to take up more resources.  Don't know if you own the PMDG 777 but they put a blurb in their 777 Intro manual saying their aircraft takes about 700-800 MB of VAS and suggest reducing some of your FSX settings and, if you own things like photoscenery, you need to disable the photoscenery you do not need for your flightplan.  Just one suggestion.  They also recommend not turning off Services as you may create more problems.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I had that "it crashes as soon as I try to change anything" issue right from my upgrade to Win8.1 . Today I decided to reinstall FSX/A completely and... I am unable to get it to run, it crashes to desktop every time I hit the "Start Flight" button...