Sign in to follow this  
simfan37

PLEASE remember...

Today, October 20th, marks a particularly dark day in the worlds of Music AND Aviation...

36 years ago today, the chartered Convair CV-240 with "Southern Rock" super group Lynard Skynyrd on board, crashed in a swampy marsh area near Jackson, Ms. while attempting an emergency landing after the aircraft declaired a "Low fuel situation". The exact origins of the problems, and indeed, ultimate causal factor of the crash, can be found here: http://www.airdisaster.com/reports/ntsb/AAR78-06.pdf  Killed in the crash, lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist/vocalist Steve Gaines, backing vocalist Cassie Gaines (older sister of Steve), assistant road manager Dean Kilpatrick, pilot Walter McCreary and co-pilot William Gray were all killed on impact.Guitarist Allen Collins suffered two cracked vertebrae in his neck, and both Collins and bassist Leon Wilkeson nearly had arms amputated as a result of crash injuries. Wilkeson suffered severe internal injuries, including a punctured lung. Drummer Artimus Pyle, the only band member who was ambulatory, crawled out of the plane wreckage with several broken ribs, and hiked some distance from the crash site through swampy woods with road crew members Kenneth Peden, Jr. and Marc Frank. The three injured men finally flagged down farmer Johnny Mote, who had come to investigate. Varying accounts have Mote either firing a warning shot into the air (believing the bedraggled men to be escapees from a nearby penitentiary) or actually shooting Pyle in the shoulder — no report is completely reliable. Pyle claimed in a February 2007 appearance on Howard Stern's Sirius radio program that Mote had shot him; Mote has always denied shooting the drummer. In 1996, Pyle called Mote to thank him for his help after the plane crash. 

As to the flightcrew of this aircraft, I'm certain each and every one of my fellow 'real world' pilots reading this, no matter if you're a 3 hour student pilot, or an 18,000 hour, ATP rated Captain, at some point, have the "But for the grace of God, there go I." moments each and every time you read one of these crash reports. Of all the questions and uncertainties surrounding this event, IMHO, one thing is not questionable at all. It was a tragic, FAR too early end to life for extremely talented, brilliant musicians who's futures contained nothing but the brightest of promises, and endless possibility. When you have a spare 12 minutes, do yourself a favor, if so inclined, have a good look & listen as they play (to perfection) arguably one of the most well known and universally liked songs from their catalog, and IMHO the VERY best rendition of "FreeBird" you have ever heard, or they ever played, a mere three months before their most untimely and tragic departure, here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odA8mKyT_Zw  Rest their souls. Hope I didn't bum you all out too much, but we shouldn't forget these events, people, times, places and things. Just doing my part to keep memories alive.

May your logbooks always contain the proper ratio of takeoffs to landings,

Robert

I still play their music, They weren't exactly fans of Neil Young were they! Great talents one and all.

They had some good tunes for sure. Many talented artist die to early.

I still play their music, They weren't exactly fans of Neil Young were they! Great talents one and all.

LOL! I don't think there was ever really any love lost between Ronnie Van Zant and Neil, that's for sure! Although I did read something (more scanned over it) while fact checking that little blurb I wrote, and if the article is to be believed, Neil Young actually served as a pallbearer at Ronnie's funeral. Depending on the side you look at it, it was either the ultimate in "Getting the last word in." OR a very classy and respectful way of letting bygones be bygones. OR BOTH...And yes, I couldn't agree more, tremendous talents, every last one. I still listen as well! I like to think I have now heard every last thing they did, ALL the legendary "Muscel Shoals Sessions" (I don't live but about an hour away from that historic studio, and have been by there, just to say I have). SO many GOOD musicians from that era though, I sometimes feel (especially when listening to the radio today) that REAL Rock & Roll died with the likes of Ronnie, Jimi, Janis, and the list truly goes on...What tragic, senseless wastes of immeasurable talent. Thanks for reading my little "In memory"! Take care, and see ya 'round the ranch,

Robert

They had some good tunes for sure. Many talented artist die to early.

Almost ALL of them do. I forget whom, but somebody from 'back in the day' making the statement about how they'd much rather "burn out than fade away." It is SO often said we are ALL here for a reason. Perhaps it boils down to they just fulfilled their goals or 'mission' or what have you. They leave their mark on history, make a HUGE impact on their industry, and then what? Another interesting fact I read, was that Aerosmith was preparing for a tour in the Summer of '78, and in preperation, had looked at this very same Convair! The article was also very quick to mention that Aerosmith's chief of flight operations, AND their head of security had BOTH said "Absolutely not, no way, never! NOT. Gonna. Happen." Although what I read wasn't very specific on just why both those guys were so quick and certain with bringing an end to the Convair talk once and for all. I'm going to look into that more and find out what those guys saw that obviously the Skynyrd management people didn't clue into. Take care, and see ya 'round the ranch!

Robert

Well Lynard Skynyrd got the last word on that one.....Why????

Because this Friday or Saturday you could go to your local pub in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK or USA and you will hear that song Sweet Home Alabama.

I can't remember the last time I heard a Neil Young song in a pub.....LOL

I think Neil was just very young and opinionated when he wrote Southern Man and has well moved on by now. Bygones be bygones. I have seen him live in concert and he was great.

Matthew Kane