Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

How to record a video

I would like to record one of my flights and put it in my Facebook page, maybe even a screen shot. I've heard of people talking about FS Recorder, do I use that ? Does that install into FSX drop down menu ?

I see no one has replyed for you yet ... ive done a bit of video work but not alot ... to answer for you ...

Alot of people do use FS Recorder

and

Yes FS Recorder, once installed, is available from the drop-down menu.

Some people recored FS at very slow rates then adjust the playback speed when playing back for recording or adjust the playback speed during editing to get good smooth playback/frame rates ... recording FSX can be an art in its self.

FS Recorder is a great little tool ... fab for recording a flight and then play back as traffic and you can then fly in formation with yourself, great for WW2 bomber flights or fighter formations. If you keep on recording while playng back multi 'play as traffic' you can create mass formations ... takes a wile but cool to do. 

Enjoy your videos

Rich

I have experimented with this (but only a little) - used FSRecorder to record the flight then used ezvid (http://www.ezvid.com/) to make the video and upload it to YouTube - the nice thing about this combination is that FSRecorder records the flight as an FSX flight (only viewable in FSX) but when you play it back (for recording for general viewing) the recorder (ezvid, in my case) records what you do during the playback phase.  So - you can make the flight and then while playing it back you can show specific things, get specific views (I have TrackIR and the views you get are what you see on playback, so I can for example look out the side window and get that view during playback without the need to do that while I'm trying to fly the aircraft - same is true with outside views, tower views, etc).

Here's my first attempt at this - a simple ILS approach (no narration at this point, just playing with the video part) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JX4aobGx0&feature=em-upload_owner

I've recorded a number of clips by now using a combination of FS Recorder (not in my latest clips though), a video capturing program called Action! made by Mirillis which is far better than many other similar programs since its footprint on FPS is very low and I finally use Sony Movie Studio for the final touch making transitions etc. I also use a great utility called Virtual Audio Cable that let me re-route audio in such a way I can mix and record sounds from several sources simultaneously such as the main sound from FSX, the sound from FS2Crew and Vatsim ATC.

If you're interested you can find my Youtube channel quickly with a Google search for my name (Richard Åsberg). Should mention though that the last maybe 10 clips or so is in Swedish. If you're interested in some nice visual effects made with FS Recorder check out my ESSA-EKCH flight in particular.

Richard Åsberg

I would like to record one of my flights and put it in my Facebook page, maybe even a screen shot.

I use Fraps, very easy and simple to use (records and takes screenshots) ... I usually record real time as my flight progresses, but I've also used Fraps to record the default FSX "replay".  Be aware the on some systems the FSX replay introduces some "jitters" in the outside view ... this is apparently a known bug and I've never figured out how to work around it.

You can get Fraps here: http://www.fraps.com/

Fraps native output will work directly on YouTube, you don't need to convert, just upload.  Fraps also supports RGB lossless recording and upto 7680 x 4800 screen resolution @ 60 fps.  If you plan to record at anything above 1080p (1920 x 1080) you need really fast hard drives (SSD preferred) and A LOT of free space (my recorded file sizes are often 20-30GB just for a few minutes).

But as has been mentioned FSRecorder and EZDOK are two additional alternatives for flight recording, but you'll still need some type of capture software.

Rob

Rob --

The jitters you describe in outside view may be because you are NOT in *locked spot* view. Always record with FRAPS using *locked spot* view. Also you can record segments with FS Recorder and then go back and replay them using FRAPS to record video clips during the replay. FS Recorder will record AI objects which will appear in the FRAPS clips, FS instant replay does not have AI objects so FRAPS clips won't have AI in them.

Bruce

FSRecorder, FRAPS, Windows Movie Maker, Your done! :lol:

I've just downloaded a freeware recorder (SMRecorder) and it allows for recording a flight with sound. It can output the result as avi however to get the sound into the file I have only been able to do this by choosing the microphone option from the dropdown menu, place the mic. near my speakers and have the 'Record Sound" option ticked. This can be a plus as you can dub commentary into the recording whilst flying. Plus no afterflight editing is needed if you choose the partial screen option. My PC displays through a large TV so I have room for a big FS window plus other windows beside it.  Put FS into windows mode and select the area of the screen inside FS window to be recorded i.e. dont include menus or bottom 1-2 cm so as to keep out pause messages etc. Also use the hide cursor option. End result is not perfect but ok for something you dont have to pay for. The installer site I used gives the option of downloading SMConverter which enables conversion of the avi file into a myriad of other formats. Other installers probably do the same. (plus think about saying ok to all the other bits of software they want to to say yes to during the installation process.)

There's also a program called Bandicam that I think gives you a few more options than FRAPS does.

Cheers,

Jeff

One thing worth checking out is Open Broadcasting Software which is actually meant for streaming but it will capture to a file as well if that's all you want. When I compared it to Fraps I didn't see any substantial difference in performace, and it's free.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

That looks good. What are the basics steps when using the 3 applications?

FSRecoder: Records and plays back in FS ONLY

FRAPS (or other recorders): Records and plays back screen capture

Windows Movie Maker: Low end editor (but free) to edit, complie, and export finished movie

I dont use FSRecorder since it's for FS only, I use FRAPS, but the basics are:

Use FSR to record you video, then play it back and use FRAPS to record only the sections you want.

Once you have the segmets recorded, use Windows Movie Maker to add them together to make the completed movie and decide what format you want to save them in, depending on what your final destination is, web, Youtube, email, etc.

You can do the same thing without using FSRecorder and just using FRAPS, the drawback is file sizes.FRAPS records as AVI and you can plan on about 1 GIG a minute with normal settings (adjustable) so you need plenty of HD space.

Jay

FSRecoder: Records and plays back in FS ONLY

FRAPS (or other recorders): Records and plays back screen capture

Windows Movie Maker: Low end editor (but free) to edit, complie, and export finished movie

I dont use FSRecorder since it's for FS only, I use FRAPS, but the basics are:

Use FSR to record you video, then play it back and use FRAPS to record only the sections you want.

Once you have the segmets recorded, use Windows Movie Maker to add them together to make the completed movie and decide what format you want to save them in, depending on what your final destination is, web, Youtube, email, etc.

You can do the same thing without using FSRecorder and just using FRAPS, the drawback is file sizes.FRAPS records as AVI and you can plan on about 1 GIG a minute with normal settings (adjustable) so you need plenty of HD space.

Thaks ,free is good :-) will give it a whirl

ZORAN

If you have an Nvidia card, you may be able to use the new Shadowplay.

I don't know if the older cards support it, but it has worked like a charm with my GTX780.

Very easy to use, and very little drop in FPS, if any.

B.