Sign in to follow this  
TrafficPilot

Reassurance requested re FTX Global

I bought FTX Global last week but am now rather concerned about installing it again after reading about all the files it changes in FSX.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears as though there is not way to switch between FTX Global and the original FSX textures? There was no option to switch back in the "FTX Central" program.

I installed it on my new SSD after a brand new FSX install and wasn't happy with the results/FPS. There also appeared to be no way to uninstall the product until I found a file on their forums at the weekend? An uninstaller should be packaged within the original program surely?!

So I've now installed FSX afresh AGAIN and everything is running smoothly. Quite worried about FTX Global ruining my new sim experience. Is it any good? Is it worth me losing the default textures for the new ones? I couldn't see much difference on first run.

Feeling as though I've just wasted £60 so would appreciate any reassurance from you if you own FTX Global!

Thanks

Adam

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I thought they had added an installer with update 1?  Me myself, I've held back from buying until they release the corresponding LC packs.  There are just too many conflicting posts about how good / bad textures and object placement are right now.

Reverting back to default ground textures, when FTX regions are installed, has to be accomplished manually, in parts. You can google the necessary manual uninstall steps on the www (after running the automatic uninstaller, which is a separate download from the FTX-G package).

So far, incompatiblity issues reported with other sceneries are only a few.

I thought they had added an installer with update 1?  Me myself, I've held back from buying until they release the corresponding LC packs.  There are just too many conflicting posts about how good / bad textures and object placement are right now.

No uninstaller with the file I downloaded on Saturday morning. Had to go searching for it via Google. That did not inspire me with confidence about the product.

FSUK.jpg

I suggest that you read the very many discussions on FTX Global on both the ORBX forum and search on that topic here at AVSIM.  Would guess that there are hundreds of threads on actual user experience that address your issues.  Personally I have had FTXG since the week it came out, have used it in hundreds of flights, am happy with the results (including FPS) and it has never occured to me to uninstall.  But you will see in these many threads much information is available that you may find answers your concerns further.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I was one of those on the fence regarding FTXG and decided to get it after getting the A2A 172.

I have no regrets at all, FTXG looks great day and night. I also haven't noticed any loss in frame rates.

Good luck.

I would never go back to default textures, stop worrying :lol:   FTXG is amazing.  FSX is like FSXI with FTXG.

I started a thread very similiar to this one a while back that got moved to the Avsim Orbx forum. I had the same concerns and after reading numerous threads and comments, I declined to purchase FTXG for the same reasons you stated. I have used GEX since FS9 without these kinds of issues so I stuck with that.

Jay

I coulnd't imagine flying without FTX Global. Sure, it would be nice if they had implemented a texture switcher (like REX uses) where you could change from Global to Default, but at the moment that isn't possible. I fly with FSX default textures, and use ORBX scenery in exclusively in P3D.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I would never go back to default textures, stop worrying :lol:   FTXG is amazing.  FSX is like FSXI with FTXG.

I've got to agree.  Why would you want to go back to the default textures?

It's been out how long and we've yet to experience that flood of add-ons that Nick predicted woulldn't won't work with it due to any file changes that FtX made.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Default fsx textures are just dreadful. The installer advises you to back them up prior to instal so you can revert back if needed. I did extensive research and testing prior to purchase and am pleased overall. It has not conflicted with my airport payware and does a far better job than default fsx scenery, especially in Europe, Asia, and South America. My recent flight into MROC (San Jose, Costa Rica), where I had saved a screenshot using default fsx scenery prior to installing FTX Global, confirmed what a huge improvement it is. The upcoming region specific LC and Vector products should improve this even more. Regards

Thanks for all your replies. I'll likely reinstall into my new FSX this week and try again once I've done some more AVSIM searches on it.

Cheers

Adam

FSUK.jpg

Thanks for all your replies. I'll likely reinstall into my new FSX this week and try again once I've done some more AVSIM searches on it.

Cheers

Adam

I would suggest you do a bunch of screen shots (maybe a few videos) and performance testing benchmarks before you install FTXG. Coming from UTX Canada/USA and GEX NA, I have a few reservations about FTXG but removing it after the fact to do comparisons against GEX or default FSX is cumbersome.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I'm sure to expose my bias here LOL! but I'm eagerly awaiting the upcoming free Iceland demo form ORBX which combines FTXG+LC+Vector+TerrainMesh to give people an Idea of the potential. I spent 13 years in Iceland and am very familiar with the landscape so this should be a real treat. Regards

FTX Global is outstandng, I bought it and installed it pretty much on the day of release and no problems whatsoever.

What with the better textures, outstanding lighting and zero performance impact, it's worth every penny. I can't wait for the openLC and Vector stuff.