Sign in to follow this  
aldox62

LOC and APP do not "always" arm when pressing the buttons

Huh - a runway can only have one set of localizer/glideslope transmitters. Even if the approaches are different, the ILS for a particular runway will have the same frequency.

Just for clarification: Runway 25R in EDDF has 2 frequencies, thus 2 transmitters. 109.75 for the Y and 111.35 for the Z approach. The reason is that the Y uses a steeper 3.2 degree glideslope whereas the Z has the standard 3 degree slope..

There's an update (user-to-user) for MA EDDF available, including both the Y and the Z ILS transmitters (plus some - optional - photoscenery to make the 07L/25R patch less ugly):

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/62328-ma-frankfurt-eddf-fsx-neue-afcad-und-photoscenery-fur-07l25r/?p=441454

Huh - a runway can only have one set of localizer/glideslope transmitters. Even if the approaches are different, the ILS for a particular runway will have the same frequency.

Not true:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1311/00443LDAD19.PDF

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1311/00443ROSSLYNLDA19.PDF

Two different frequencies from two different arrays.

Additionally, there's this:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1311/05100IL1R.PDF

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1311/05100IL19L.PDF

Two different array, same frequency.

You could technically install two arrays on the same side of the runway if you really wanted.  Interference would be an issue, but they only turn one array on at a time.  IAD (above) is an example.  If they had both arrays on it would cause indication errors, since both arrays use 110.1.

Kyle Rodgers

Correction for my 'G/S gradient' statement: The indications actually are slightly different when changing frequencies close to the threshold (don't do that IRL! :P). If it's not because of the positioning, it must be due to the gradient then.

Hi all,

on some flights but not on a regular basis I noticed a behavior that appears really odd to me: LOC (and also APP) modes do not arm as expected when the buttons are pressed, i.e. I see no green light on the button and no FMA indication that the modes are armed 

Aldo

Maybe the following is your problem?

According the manual you can arm the approach at any time.

However the LOC can not capture untill your track is within 120 degrees of the inbound course and the GS can not capture untill within 80 degrees of the inbound course.

It seems however that in the PMDG you can not ARM LOC/APP mode untill within those limits either.

To be honest I dont think this is simulated correct but I am not 100% sure now.

Normally you dont ARM the LOC/APP mode untill cleared approach and this would be on your last vecor and thus well within those limits.

Anyway, if it happens again, just wait a little untill you are 80 degrees or less from the inbound course and then try again.

On a side note; If you fly on the ILS with Lnav then you might end up paralleling the ILS. Arming the LOC might then not capture the LOC (it will stay armed).

You can prevent this by intercepting the ILS with HDG/TCK mode.

Rob Robson

That would be the course setting, not heading, which the 777 doesn't have anyway.

It does, just it's in the FMC  :P

Maybe the following is your problem?

According the manual you can arm the approach at any time.

However the LOC can not capture untill your track is within 120 degrees of the inbound course and the GS can not capture untill within 80 degrees of the inbound course.

It seems however that in the PMDG you can not ARM LOC/APP mode untill within those limits either.

To be honest I dont think this is simulated correct but I am not 100% sure now.

Normally you dont ARM the LOC/APP mode untill cleared approach and this would be on your last vecor and thus well within those limits.

Anyway, if it happens again, just wait a little untill you are 80 degrees or less from the inbound course and then try again.

On a side note; If you fly on the ILS with Lnav then you might end up paralleling the ILS. Arming the LOC might then not capture the LOC (it will stay armed).

You can prevent this by intercepting the ILS with HDG/TCK mode.

I just tested and was able to ARM the LOC/APP mode on any heading. I dont know where I came up with the above idea, but it seems to be simulated correctly. so disregard my comment about the LOC/APP ARM mode being simulated incorrectly please. The rest of my post is ok though.

Rob Robson

There's an update (user-to-user) for MA EDDF available, including both the Y and the Z ILS transmitters (plus some - optional - photoscenery to make the 07L/25R patch less ugly):

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/62328-ma-frankfurt-eddf-fsx-neue-afcad-und-photoscenery-fur-07l25r/?p=441454

Thanks for posting this update. I just noticed it. I was able to D/L the AF2_EDDF file, but not the EDDF photo one. Not sure if that 2nd one is required anyway.

Where exactly do I place the AF2 file? In my FSX/Aerosoft/Mega Airport FRA folder, or FSX/Add-on scenery/scenery folder? 

Many thanks.

Thanks for posting this update. I just noticed it. I was able to D/L the AF2_EDDF file, but not the EDDF photo one. Not sure if that 2nd one is required anyway.

Where exactly do I place the AF2 file? In my FSX/Aerosoft/Mega Airport FRA folder, or FSX/Add-on scenery/scenery folder? 

Many thanks.

I placed mine in

FS X\aerosoft\Mega Airport Frankfurt\scenery

and it works!