Sign in to follow this  
maukro_1990

How to proceed step climbs with 777´s?

Hi!

Is there an option in real 777´s (and in the PMDG T7) to proceed automatic step climbs, like it was possible with the MD-11? I´m just asking because if fly a real time longrange route, i usually leave my computer and sometimes i´m not there if have to proceed step climbs. Usually i just enter the new altitude (From 360000 to 380000 FT for example) and after that i change the MCP altitude and after that the aircraft starts with the step climb. The step climb method in the MD-11 is much more comfortable... 

PS: I don´t mean the auto step climb optio in the fmc, which is a part of time acceleration etc. 

Auto-step climb has nothing to do with time acceleration, if it's on in the CDU it will automatically step climb regardless of the time acceleration setting.

You CAN manually enter step climbs into waypoints in the FMC, and it will calculate cruise performance and fuel prediction based on those manually entered step climbs. With PMDG's "auto-cruise" feature (and the "auto step climb" option) engaged the airplane will automatically select the step climb altitude in the MCP once the FMC step climb points are reached.

To do this you need to enter "XXXS" into the altitude part of the Legs page.  e.g. If I want to step climb to FL390 at waypoint N61W030, I'll enter 390S into the altitude part of N61W030 waypoint.

CCdNjwO.jpg

Source

If you don

You CAN manually enter step climbs into waypoints in the FMC, and it will calculate cruise performance and fuel prediction based on those manually entered step climbs. With PMDG's "auto-cruise" feature (and the "auto step climb" option) engaged the airplane will automatically select the step climb altitude in the MCP once the FMC step climb points are reached.

To do this you need to enter "XXXS" into the altitude part of the Legs page.  e.g. If I want to step climb to FL390 at waypoint N61W030, I'll enter 390S into the altitude part of N61W030 waypoint.

CCdNjwO.jpg

Sour

Thanks Avantime so let me get this straight if I do not activate the auto cruise and the also the step climb from pmdg fmc and I enter the step climbs manually xxxx/s the aircraft should do

the step climb correct or do I have to enable it on the fmc....forgive me guys but I'm a bit confused.

Atb...

Thanks Avantime so let me get this straight if I do not activate the auto cruise and the also the step climb from pmdg fmc and I enter the step climbs manually xxxx/s the aircraft should do

the step climb correct or do I have to enable it on the fmc....forgive me guys but I'm a bit confused.

If either auto cruise or auto step climb is NOT enabled, the 777 will NOT do a step climb on its own. the FMC will ask you to move the autopilot MCP altitude knob to the new step climb altitude.

If auto cruise and auto step climb are enabled, the 777 WILL climb on its own based on the automatic step climb profile - derived from the FMC's default most optimum settings. (Note RVSM = 2000ft steps)

If auto cruise and auto step climb are enabled, and step climb positions and altitudes are manually entered into the FMC, the 777 will climb on its own just before the aircraft arrives at the pilot-entered step climb waypoints. This is IMO the most realistic way to fly with time compression as ATC generally will not allow you to climb as per the FMC default optimums. Well how do you know which waypoint to do a step climb? Have a look at your paper flight plan. (PFPX has them, and so does internet resources like Flightaware)

If either auto cruise or auto step climb is NOT enabled, the 777 will NOT do a step climb on its own. the FMC will ask you to move the autopilot MCP altitude knob to the new step climb altitude.

If auto cruise and auto step climb are enabled, the 777 WILL climb on its own based on the automatic step climb profile - derived from the FMC's default most optimum settings. (Note RVSM = 2000ft steps)

If auto cruise and auto step climb are enabled, and step climb positions and altitudes are manually entered into the FMC, the 777 will climb on its own just before the aircraft arrives at the pilot-entered step climb waypoints. This is IMO the most realistic way to fly with time compression as ATC generally will not allow you to climb as per the FMC default optimums. Well how do you know which waypoint to do a step climb? Have a look at your paper flight plan. (PFPX has them, and so does internet resources like Flightaware)

Thanks for explaining the process... I clearly understand the options now and also I do

have PFPX will give it a go tonight.

P.s thanks for the quick response.

Atb

Giancarlo

I could swear that, the T7 performed auto step climb at one of my flights .....probably the tutorial flight.....I should get back to the manual  :)

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

During VATSIM cross the pond I had a pilot 1000ft under me accidently leave his auto step climb on.

Let's just say I was glad I was on SLOP 1nm Right offset, because that 777 popped up out of FL350 through FL360 like a rocket!

It's gingerly cautious decent back out of FL370 looked like it was hanging it's head in shame, hoping nobody noticed lol.

Ok..!! So if i don´t use autostep climb opton: Isn´t it possible that i add a new altitude to a specific waypoint and after i reach the Initial cruise alt, i Change the MCP alt to the "next" altitude? I mean after the airplane reach the waypoint with the next alt, shouldn´t it climb automatically?

For an "automated, non-auto-step-climb step climb"(?!?) you have to

- set the MCP to the highest CRZ FL (after your last step climb)

- define the correctly placed waypoints in your FMC flightplan (correctly placed for performing the step climbs)

- and assign "at" ALT restrictions to each of them (building a chain of increasing "at" restrictions with every next waypoint)

Basically your flightplan becomes a loooong SID on which your A/C "climbs the ladder".

But you shouldn't use ATC - neither offline nor online!!!   :lol: