Sign in to follow this  
MatthewL

Autopilot Disconnect Alert won't shut off

So I can't seem to get the AP Disconnect alert to shut up. On the ground I can clear the warn message fine, but when flying the message doesn't seem to be clearing. 

Any help? Thanks. 777 Btw.

Have you tried the disconnect button on the yoke or key press CTRL + SHIFT + Z, once to disconnect, then again about 3 seconds later to cancel the warning?

Issue Tracking Thread:

- Master warning siren/wailer doesn't turn off.

• This is a realistic feature that is an option on the airplane. Look for RESETTABLE SIREN in the EQUIPMENT section of the aircraft options in the FMC.
  • With respect to the autopilot disconnect form of this sound, it takes two presses of the AP disconnect button/key to silence it. The second press must come at least 1.5 seconds after the first. Again, accurate to the real world airplane.

Any help?

Sure, reading the introduction manual and the tutorial might help...

Bad habit that was discussed in the PIC767 addon manual in the year 2001.

Don't press the "disconnect 'bar' " on the MCP. This hard disconnects the autopilot by literally cutting the computer linkages circuits. The Disconnect alarm will not stop sounding while this bar is in the down position.

The only time the pilots should use this method to disconnect the autopilot is if it has failed and is not turning off properly.

(I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that 'excessive G force' can also pull the MCP disconnect bar down, ie during periods where the autopilot is well out of parameters and about to destroy the aircraft... not sure about that one, haven't seen any documentation to support it)

Instead, use the disconnect buttons on the yoke. (to do this, assign the ctrl+shift+z keypress to a yoke/joystick button, or literally press ctrl+shift+z)

PMDG 777 also has the "TOGA screw" clickspot. A right-click on this clickspot will disconnect autopilot as if you pressed the button on the yoke.

A second click (yoke autopilot disconnect button press) at least 1.5 seconds later, will cancel the warning.

if you click it too soon, it won't cancel the warning.

Don't use simple "z", as this just toggles between "Autopilot on" and "Autopilot off". So you will click once, starting the alarm, and click a second time, turning the autopilot back on in an endless loop. lol.

So I can't seem to get the AP Disconnect alert to shut up. On the ground I can clear the warn message fine, but when flying the message doesn't seem to be clearing. 

Any help? Thanks. 777 Btw.

Read the manual!

Also be aware of another issue that has been identified and is being corrected by PMDG. No matter what method you use to disconnect the A/P, it is not possible if you have used your own "saved panel" to begin your flight. It's fine if you use a pre-set panel status but not one you have created yourself (i.e Ready to taxi etc).

I am curious about why in this aircraft the AP cannot be disconected by just pressing the AP button and unlit it.-

I am curious about why in this aircraft the AP cannot be disconected by just pressing the AP button and unlit it.-

Because the real airplane doesn't work like that perhaps?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Also be aware of another issue that has been identified and is being corrected by PMDG. No matter what method you use to disconnect the A/P, it is not possible if you have used your own "saved panel" to begin your flight. It's fine if you use a pre-set panel status but not one you have created yourself (i.e Ready to taxi etc).

I have a startup state I created, and I have no such problem.  As long as you don't use the PMDG-supplied C&D startup as your starting point, you shouldn't have a problem.  I created mine from the default engines-on state and have flown many,many flights beginning with my created startup state with no problems attributable to the startup state. 

Edit:

Just realized you were referring to saved panel states.  Haven't had a problem with those either.

Everyone, just to repeat, you need to map a key or button for autopilot on and another one for autopilot off.  Use the PMDG key mapping feature in the CDU. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Because the real airplane doesn't work like that perhaps?

I remember a long time ago (2002) when some of the actions of the hijackers of the September 11 planes, namely the United 93 one, included trying to turn off the autopilot several times, then re-engaging it (at which point it returned to it's cruise altitude and course).

Apparently on the 'transmissions' they made over the ATC frequency (telling the "Air Traffic Controller" to sit down and remain calm and remain seated) there was the Autopilot disconnect horn going off in the background.

This was also shown in Paul Greengrass' movie United 93 with the actor playing Ziad Jarrah (UAL93 hijacker pilot) trying desperate to silence the Autopilot alarm by pressing random buttons, (Including the "engage autopilot" Button) and not getting anywhere.

The alarm continues wailing for several minutes through the cockpit scenes in the movie.

Later he decides that he will "Descend to speed up", thereby increasing the aircraft's Indicated airspeed (into Overspeed clacker warning) but ultimately decreasing the aircraft's Ground speed and Mach (ie: he actually slowed due to not understanding what Indicated Airspeed is).

Maybe these details make me more annoyed/angry at n00bs than I would otherwise be, since they seem to have the same misconceptions about the operation of airliners that the movie (and possibly real) UAL93 hijackers did.

Everyone, just to repeat, you need to map a key or button for autopilot on and another one for autopilot off.  Use the PMDG key mapping feature in the CDU. 

Just one for Autopilot Off is enough. Use the mouse to get autopilot on ;)

There's actually 3 options.

• (Best): Map a Joystick button to "Autopilot Off"
  • (okay): Use right mouse button to click the bottom left screw on the MCP (The one which prompts TOGA Thrust with a left click)
  • (hard): Press Ctrl+Shift+Z twice.

Remember the disconnect (one of the 3 options above) needs to be pressed once (Which causes disconnect and alarm) then after 1.5 seconds a second press (of the disconnect key) will silence the alarm.

If you use the disconnect bar, the warning will continue "forever" (till the bar is replaced, and one of the 3 options is pressed).

If you press the Autopilot CMD button (the one you press to turn on the Autopilot with the mouse) nothing will happen. The button will be pushed into the solenoid, the computer will recognize that the autopilot is already on, and leave it on. No warnings, no disconnect.

If you press Z once, you will toggle from Autopilot On state, to Autopilot off (and alarm warning sounding) state. A second press of Z will toggle from Autopilot off (and alarm sounding) to Autopilot back on.

ONLY one of the 3 options will work. No other methods will.

My suggestion: Joystick (or yoke) button near your (left) Thumb.

Just one for Autopilot Off is enough. Use the mouse to get autopilot on ;)

There's actually 3 options.

• (Best): Map a Joystick button to "Autopilot Off"
  • (okay): Use right mouse button to click the bottom left screw on the MCP (The one which prompts TOGA Thrust with a left click)
  • (hard): Press Ctrl+Shift+Z twice.

Remember the disconnect (one of the 3 options above) needs to be pressed once (Which causes disconnect and alarm) then after 1.5 seconds a second press (of the disconnect key) will silence the alarm.

If you use the disconnect bar, the warning will continue "forever" (till the bar is replaced, and one of the 3 options is pressed).

If you press the Autopilot CMD button (the one you press to turn on the Autopilot with the mouse) nothing will happen. The button will be pushed into the solenoid, the computer will recognize that the autopilot is already on, and leave it on. No warnings, no disconnect.

If you press Z once, you will toggle from Autopilot On state, to Autopilot off (and alarm warning sounding) state. A second press of Z will toggle from Autopilot off (and alarm sounding) to Autopilot back on.

ONLY one of the 3 options will work. No other methods will.

My suggestion: Joystick (or yoke) button near your (left) Thumb.

Thank you Mike777 and Hopskip but I have been trying all your options for weeks but I cannot stop the A/P alarm from sounding. I have reassigned keys, joystick buttons both inside the FSX menu and the PMDG cdu but nothing solves it. I really hope that maybe PMDG could confirm if my problem is an error of my own making or not.

Thank you Mike777 and Hopskip but I have been trying all your options for weeks but I cannot stop the A/P alarm from sounding. I have reassigned keys, joystick buttons both inside the FSX menu and the PMDG cdu but nothing solves it. I really hope that maybe PMDG could confirm if my problem is an error of my own making or not.

Press once = Autopilot turns off and alarm starts.

If you immediatley press again, nothing happens, alarm continues.

After alarm sounds 3 or 4 times, a second press of the disconnect options will silence the alarm.

No double clicks. Disconnect, Listen to 4 alarm sounds (Bwaarp Bwaarp Bwaarp Bwaarp) Then press once to silence the alarm. you MUST listen to 4 "cycles" of the alarm before attempting to silence it.