Sign in to follow this  
MatthewL

Autopilot Disconnect Alert won't shut off

Just to clarify my problem once again. If I fly using a pre-set panel status (long, short etc) I can turn the A/P Disconnect siren off. If however I use my own "ready to taxi" panel (for when I have limited time to fly) I simply cannot turn off the siren. No matter which option I try. It appears that the creation of your own "saved panel" status causes this problem.

This problem is a pain after landing and turning off the runway. I taxi to my gate with the siren blaring. No problems in the 737, you simply press the button that is flashing and off goes the siren.

If however I use my own "ready to taxi" panel (for when I have limited time to fly) I simply cannot turn off the siren. No matter which option I try. It appears that the creation of your own "saved panel" status causes this problem.

Not at my computer now, but there is an option to allow the alarm to to be shut off. Probably in your ready to taxi state that option is not checked. So the alarm cannot be silenced. If you find that option and check it, and save the state again, that should fix the problem.

In the  http://forum.avsim.net/topic/418750-pmdg-777-issue-tracking-thread-read-before-posting/thread it says:

"- Master warning siren/wailer doesn't turn off.

• This is a realistic feature that is an option on the airplane. Look for RESETTABLE SIREN in the EQUIPMENT section of the aircraft options in the FMC.
  • With respect to the autopilot disconnect form of this sound, it takes two presses of the AP disconnect button/key to silence it. The second press must come at least 1.5 seconds after the first. Again, accurate to the real world airplane."

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Not at my computer now, but there is an option to allow the alarm to to be shut off. Probably in your ready to taxi state that option is not checked. So the alarm cannot be silenced. If you find that option and check it, and save the state again, that should fix the problem.

In the  http://forum.avsim.net/topic/418750-pmdg-777-issue-tracking-thread-read-before-posting/thread it says:

"- Master warning siren/wailer doesn't turn off.

• This is a realistic feature that is an option on the airplane. Look for RESETTABLE SIREN in the EQUIPMENT section of the aircraft options in the FMC.
  • With respect to the autopilot disconnect form of this sound, it takes two presses of the AP disconnect button/key to silence it. The second press must come at least 1.5 seconds after the first. Again, accurate to the real world airplane."
Mike

Hi Mike. Sorry but I have never found an option re A/P Disc siren. You can change it from wailer to siren and there is a resettable siren for the master warning but that's all.

Just to reconfirm again, I have waited 1.5 seconds, for 4 blasts of the siren, as advised but still no joy.

If anyone from PMDG reads this could they offer their thoughts?

There are two issues here:

1. Not following proper AP disconnect procedure - if you don't do so, the alarm will continue to go off.  This is a realistic behavior.
  2. An acknowledged bug (so PMDG has already essentially offered their thoughts).  The C/D Panel state and some user states will cause issues.  Using the default Short/Long states should be fine until the update comes out.

Always, always, always, always check the stickies.  You'll note one says "READ BEFORE POSTING."  There's an acknowledgement of the in there.  It's not quite fair to ask a small team to answer each post individually, particularly when the issues has already been addressed there.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Mike. Sorry but I have never found an option re A/P Disc siren. You can change it from wailer to siren and there is a resettable siren for the master warning but that's all.

Just to reconfirm again, I have waited 1.5 seconds, for 4 blasts of the siren, as advised but still no joy.

Hi,  Jon,

The general resettable siren option includes the autopilot siren. 

See if this fixes the problem:  Be sure to load an aircraft that you know is giving you a problem.  In the 3rd CDU (open with Shift-4) choose the Menu button on the keypad, then PMDG SETUP>AIRCRAFT>EQUIPMENT then scroll down until you see "Resettable Siren".  If "Yes" is not lit up in green, click so that it is.  See if that fixes the problem.  You may have to shut down and restart FSX.  Be sure to load the same exact aircraft, as this option is aircraft specific.  See if it works properly after the reload. 

You also need to have a key mapped to the "A/P L" (Autopilot-left) command.  I have  the following:  Z is mapped to Autopilot on/off IN THE FSX CONTROLS MENU.  Ctrl-Z is mapped to "A/P L" (Autopilot-left) IN THE PMDG CONTROLS MAPPING.  This may not be standard, but it works for me.  With this setup, Z turns off the autopilot and starts the siren.  Another press on Z a few seconds later stops the siren.  Ctrl-Z turns on the autopilot.

To find the PMDG mapping, again open the 3rd CDU, click on Menu, then PMDG SETUP>OPTIONS>KEY COMMANDS .   Click on Autoflight.  Scroll down to A/P-L.  Set the command there to ctrl-Z.    I think this will work for all panel states, but never hurts to save your panel state, close down, start up, etc . 

Mike

Not following proper AP disconnect procedure - if you don't do so, the alarm will continue to go off. This is a realistic behavior.

Kyle, I think maybe then there is a bug.  When I click on the Autopilot disconnect bar, the bar moves down, the siren sounds.  When I then press Z  (see my setup in previous post) after a few seconds, the alarm stops. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Kyle, I think maybe then there is a bug. When I click on the Autopilot disconnect bar, the bar moves down, the siren sounds. When I then press Z (see my setup in previous post) after a few seconds, the alarm stops.

If you think there is a bug, then it should be reported.

Kyle Rodgers

There are two issues here:

1. Not following proper AP disconnect procedure - if you don't do so, the alarm will continue to go off.  This is a realistic behavior.
  2. An acknowledged bug (so PMDG has already essentially offered their thoughts).  The C/D Panel state and some user states will cause issues.  Using the default Short/Long states should be fine until the update comes out.

Always, always, always, always check the stickies.  You'll note one says "READ BEFORE POSTING."  There's an acknowledgement of the in there.  It's not quite fair to ask a small team to answer each post individually, particularly when the issues has already been addressed there.

Thank you Kyle for all your kind advice.

Hi,  Jon,

The general resettable siren option includes the autopilot siren. 

See if this fixes the problem:  Be sure to load an aircraft that you know is giving you a problem.  In the 3rd CDU (open with Shift-4) choose the Menu button on the keypad, then PMDG SETUP>AIRCRAFT>EQUIPMENT then scroll down until you see "Resettable Siren".  If "Yes" is not lit up in green, click so that it is.  See if that fixes the problem.  You may have to shut down and restart FSX.  Be sure to load the same exact aircraft, as this option is aircraft specific.  See if it works properly after the reload. 

You also need to have a key mapped to the "A/P L" (Autopilot-left) command.  I have  the following:  Z is mapped to Autopilot on/off IN THE FSX CONTROLS MENU.  Ctrl-Z is mapped to "A/P L" (Autopilot-left) IN THE PMDG CONTROLS MAPPING.  This may not be standard, but it works for me.  With this setup, Z turns off the autopilot and starts the siren.  Another press on Z a few seconds later stops the siren.  Ctrl-Z turns on the autopilot.

To find the PMDG mapping, again open the 3rd CDU, click on Menu, then PMDG SETUP>OPTIONS>KEY COMMANDS .   Click on Autoflight.  Scroll down to A/P-L.  Set the command there to ctrl-Z.    I think this will work for all panel states, but never hurts to save your panel state, close down, start up, etc . 

Mike

Kyle, I think maybe then there is a bug.  When I click on the Autopilot disconnect bar, the bar moves down, the siren sounds.  When I then press Z  (see my setup in previous post) after a few seconds, the alarm stops. 

Mike

Thank you again Mike for your kind help. I will continue to try the various options you suggest but I suspect, as Kyle has said, that a bug does exist. The SP will no doubt clear it up.

Thank you again Mike.

Thank you again Mike for your kind help. I will continue to try the various options you suggest but I suspect, as Kyle has said, that a bug does exist. The SP will no doubt clear it up.

Actually I was the one who mentioned a bug, but having the siren go off continuously after an autopilot disconnect is NOT a bug.  It is an option that some airlines use.  You can fix the continuous siren by turning on "Resettable siren" option in the CDU (what many simmers refer to as the FMC) as I described above. 

Edit:

Maybe an easier way to fix this is to use the PMDG Operations Center.  Make sure FSX is not running.  Open the PMDG Operations Center, choose the 777 option, then click on "Aircraft Specific Settings".  You will see a list of all the PMDG 777s you have installed.  Find one in which you are having the problem that the siren won't shut off.  Click on it.  Look in the right window, which shows many options for that particular aircraft.  Scroll down to the Warnings section.  You will see the option "Resettable Siren."  If it says "No," click on "Resettable Siren."  You will then have a little box to the right where you can change it to "Yes".   Click "Save".  You are done.  Now restart FSX and load the same aircraft.  Should be fixed now.

This is a complex aircraft.  You need to learn how to adjust the various settings. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Actually I was the one who mentioned a bug, but having the siren go off continuously after an autopilot disconnect is NOT a bug.  It is an option that some airlines use.  You can fix the continuous siren by turning on "Resettable siren" option in the CDU (what many simmers refer to as the FMC) as I described above. 

Edit:

Maybe an easier way to fix this is to use the PMDG Operations Center.  Make sure FSX is not running.  Open the PMDG Operations Center, choose the 777 option, then click on "Aircraft Specific Settings".  You will see a list of all the PMDG 777s you have installed.  Find one in which you are having the problem that the siren won't shut off.  Click on it.  Look in the right window, which shows many options for that particular aircraft.  Scroll down to the Warnings section.  You will see the option "Resettable Siren."  If it says "No," click on "Resettable Siren."  You will then have a little box to the right where you can change it to "Yes".   Click "Save".  You are done.  Now restart FSX and load the same aircraft.  Should be fixed now.

This is a complex aircraft.  You need to learn how to adjust the various settings. 

Mike

Hi Mike

I am so grateful for your help but I should point out that I have been exploring the same options that you mention for several weeks now. Through the CDU menu and the PMDG Ops menu and nothing works. I have just gone through your procedure once more and still my siren will not switch off.

I adjusted the config file for the Aeromexico livery and then loaded it up. I use my ready to taxi saved panel and brought in the new config file. The problem remains. I think I recall a couple of people mentioning this problem a few weeks ago so I don't think I'm alone. Maybe the SP will solve this when it arrives. Other than this I cannot imagine what I could be doing wrong.

Thank you!

Other than this I cannot imagine what I could be doing wrong.

Sorry, Jon, I am stumped as well.

As a temporary fix, until this gets sorted out, you can go into

... Flight Simulator X\Sound\PMDG\777X\CAWS

and find the PMDG_777_MasterWarning.wav or PMDG_777_Wailer.wav file (I think it's the second oneyou want) and rename it.  That will stop the endless wailing sound, but you won't hear it when you might need it.  Anyway that was my solution until I got my setup to do what I want.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

If the Disconnect bar on the MCP is being moved down (either by mouse or by a keypress) you need to change something.

The disconnect bar in the "down" position = Autopilot Disconnect alarm sounding forever.

The only time the disconnect bar is used in the real aircraft is to disconnect a malfunctioning autopilot. It also dislodges itself under high G loads (at least that's what the 767 does).

If it's a keypress that's doing this (and my suspicion would be something related to the keyboard "Z" key, or joystick button assignments in the FSX control devices menus if this is the case) then you may need to explore changing some button/key assignments in both default FSX and the PMDG control assignments options in the FMC's Menu > Simulation options menus.

The disconnect bar in the "down" position = Autopilot Disconnect alarm sounding forever.

Just want to say I do not get this behavior.  When I press the autopilot disconnect bar, I can silence the alarm by 1) pressing it again to raise it back to the up position and 2) clicking on the Master Warning (which illuminates red by the initial bar press).  I can also silence the alarm after step 1) by re-engaging the autopilot.  This works by using key commands - Z currently mapped to "disengage bar" (the bar on the MCP, not to be confused with "A/P disengage switch" which is the same as pressing the button on the control column) and Ctrl-Z mapped to "A/P -L", same as pressing the MCP autopilot button, which only turns the A/P on, not off.  It also works by directly clicking on the bar and the autopilot on button. 

I have seen quite a few posts saying that the bar is supposed to permanently disconnect the autopilot, resulting in an endless alarm.   However in the PMDG supplied FCOM v2 (section 4.10.2, pdf page 298) it says that pressing the bar disconnects the autopilot and prevents it from being engaged, pressing it again allows autopilot engagement.  Later, in section 4.20.2, pdf p. 318, it says that the normal method of disconnecting the A/P is to use the button on the control column, but that the MCP bar may also be used.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I adjusted the config file for the Aeromexico livery and then loaded it up. I use my ready to taxi saved panel and brought in the new config file. The problem remains.

Hi, Jon,

I'm going to give it one more try.  In reading through the earlier posts:

1) I gave the incorrect impression that the "resettable siren" option is in the panel state menu.  Actually it is aircraft specific, as I did explain later, so one aircraft will allow you to stop the alarm, while another will not - fixable in the Operations Center or CDU menu as described earlier, but separately for each aircraft.

2) If I understand you correctly, you only have the problem with your own "ready to taxi" panel state.  If this is right, just get rid of that startup state.  Start with the short/long turnaround states as Kyle suggests, and modify it to be in the state you want, or start with the default engines on state (just delete whatever startup state is set in the CDU and it will start next time with engines and systems on), then create the ready to taxi state just as you like it.  Save it as your new "ready to taxi" state and see if that fixes the problem.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi, Jon,

1) I gave the incorrect impression that the "resettable siren" option is in the panel state menu.  Actually it is aircraft specific, as I did explain later, so one aircraft will allow you to stop the alarm, while another will not - fixable in the Operations Center or CDU menu as described earlier, but separately for each aircraft.

2) If I understand you correctly, you only have the problem with your own "ready to taxi" panel state.  If this is right, just get rid of that startup state.  Start with the short/long turnaround states as Kyle suggests, and modify it to be in the state you want, or start with the default engines on state (just delete whatever startup state is set in the CDU and it will start next time with engines and systems on), then create the ready to taxi state just as you like it.  Save it as your new "ready to taxi" state and see if that fixes the problem.

Mike

Again thank you for your kindness Mike, I will give this a go.

Hi, Jon,

Mike

Mike

Great news!  I deleted my existing saved panel and rebuilt it from the default engines-on status. No progress. Did exactly the same again. No progress. Did it a third time and "hey presto ", the problem has been cured!

May I thank you once again Mike for your kind willingness to help and your admirable perseverance in helping someone else in such a kind way. There is currently much comment in these forums about contributor's behaviour but I offer you up as a great example of what these forums should be about.

Kindest wishes