Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

When will 30 inch monitors become mainstream?

While I bide my time awaiting the P3DV2 release I'm also biding my time with the purchase of my new Dell U3014. I'll take the plunge when the dust settles with P3D , but am wondering if I should hold off a bit longer to take advantage of any reductions in price. In the UK the U3014 retails for about £900 + which is fairly steep. I'll go for it anyway but wondered if anyone knew when to expect the trend to start moving to 30 inch as mainstream monitors as the 27inch currently is.

I'm torn between a 27 inch x1440 monitor at £500 v the 30 inch at double the price,

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For less than half the cost of the Dell 30" you can buy a decent LED TV and have a bigger screen.

I've switched from a Dell 24" 1920x1200 monitor to a Sony Bravia 32" LED TV with a resolution of 1920x1080.

Once correctly setup it gives me all the benefits of a large display with none of the drawbacks of an expensive monitor - namely a screen resolution which will drag down frame rates.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

For less than half the cost of the Dell 30" you can buy a decent LED TV and have a bigger screen.

I've switched from a Dell 24" 1920x1200 monitor to a Sony Bravia 32" LED TV with a resolution of 1920x1080.

Once correctly setup it gives me all the benefits of a large display with none of the drawbacks of an expensive monitor - namely a screen resolution which will drag down frame rates.

Hi Ray

Whilst I can appreciate the bigger size, the lack of resolution will bother me. I've been happily using a Samsung 24' 1920x1200 for 5 years. A few months back, I switched to a 27' x1080 monitor, and the 'grainy' resolution of the 1080 compared to the x1200 really bothered me. So I switched back to the 24' Samsung. I think the x1600 is the only way to go for me with a 30'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Erich,

Fair comment. It's a very subjective thing. To answer your original question it really depends on funds and space available. I couldn't go any larger than 32" even if I could afford it.

A poll would be interesting. Have you considered running one?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Erich, I bought a 30" Dell Ultrasharp 2560x1600 and it is absolutely, bludgeoningly beautiful! I was very careful and bought a good refurbished one off Ebay. It was a look and collect purchase so I ensured I didn't end up with a dud. It cost me £400, a lot less than the £1200 it was being sold for on the high street. As for a performance hit, I went from a 1920x1200 res HP monitor and saw a minimal hit of about 12-15%. It was very small and nothing that I couldn't claw back simply by dropping the cloud draw distance and the AI notch a little. My advice would be to make sure you retain as high a resolution screen as possible :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Thanks both for your responses

Ray- I might do the poll. Would be interesting

Jim - that sure is alot less than the original price, even though it's a refurb. Absolute bargain. I was actually sold on the U3011 when you first told me about it on the forum a few months back. But I guess P3D v2 has been the push I need actually get it. But I still flinch at £1000. Maybe I'll have a look around at the refurb market too and see what's about.

Thanks guys

I got the Qnix 27" Led from Ebay for $270. Its 2560x1440 res and it overclocks, mine is siting @100Hz. Panning is a breeze. Just my .02

I got the X-Star 27" 1440P off ebay for around $300-350AUD if I remember correctly. (the same as the Qnix Oscar mentioned, just in a slightly different case). Yes it's one of the Korean monitors but I have been extremely happy with my purchase and you can't beat the price. The higher resolution compared to 1080P is gorgeous!

If you are lucky and have good timing you can pick up the refurbed Dell monitors really cheaply through Dell directly. They normally have a listing on their webpage with available refurb stock.

I can recommend Crossover monitors. Google it and research if interested.

Or this link is all about them.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1232496/crossover-27q-led-led-p-27m-led-2720mdp-gold-led-monitor-club

Now is not a great time for me so cant give to much info but I bought a 27" crossover off a reputable seller on eBay. They actually use the same screen as Dell which is made by LG anyway.

I am very happy with mine and for less than half price of dell, but there is a small risk but you will find 99% of buyers r happy

Hayden Chapman

Erich, I bought a 30" Dell Ultrasharp 2560x1600 and it is absolutely, bludgeoningly beautiful! I was very careful and bought a good refurbished one off Ebay. It was a look and collect purchase so I ensured I didn't end up with a dud. It cost me £400, a lot less than the £1200 it was being sold for on the high street. As for a performance hit, I went from a 1920x1200 res HP monitor and saw a minimal hit of about 12-15%. It was very small and nothing that I couldn't claw back simply by dropping the cloud draw distance and the AI notch a little. My advice would be to make sure you retain as high a resolution screen as possible :wink:

Howard,

Did you by any chance get your monitor from NRG IT in Poole using Ebay?  I've just had a look and there is a refurbished U3014 available for £625 with one dead pixel.  I think I'll be able to live with that for the price.

Erich

Howard,

Did you by any chance get your monitor from NRG IT in Poole using Ebay?  I've just had a look and there is a refurbished U3014 available for £625 with one dead pixel.  I think I'll be able to live with that for the price.

Erich

No Erich, it was a private purchase in Wales...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Instead of a 30" monitor I am using 3 32" HD tv's in 5760x1080 resolution...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

No Erich, it was a private purchase in Wales...

Thanks Howard

And then to upset all the theories, comes Ultra High Def TV  @ 3840 x 2160 res.

Coming soon - a Sony Ultra HDef 55" TV @ US $5000 approx.

Stop the bus- I want off !!! 

january