Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Horrible experience with Steam/Aerofly FS

First off let me start in saying I am truly not a fan of this cloud concept to gaming.  It's like when the developer decides to pull the plug or release a buggy update your screwed as you can't revert back to what you had because you don't have the original media on hand.  Microsoft's Flight was a big example of this where as people actually got screwed on the deal if ever they have to reinstall.  There's no way to get what you purchased back.  One can't get Alaska and all the planes purchased ever again.  I've come to the conclusion anything left in the hands of others buyer be ware.

Here we have the new Aerofly FS sim finally released by Just Flight.  Instead of providing the download themselves like SimMarket usually does they have the bright idea to sell it through Steam (or however that arrangement came about).  I've heard users on this forum rave about Steam so I saw no problem with it.  I bought the sim (v. 1.0.9.9) and it ran great.  The Flight models are amazing I actually never had so much fun with a 172 in a sim before.  Crosswind landings can realistically be practiced thanks to realistic application of rudder effects on the aircraft (couldn't quite get the weather settings to give me an effective crosswind).  So I'm happily discovering this sim when last Thursday upon launch Steam applies an update on it's own (v. 1.0.2.1).  When the sim loaded up I thought I was playing FSX on my system.  Framerates dropped down to 1-2 frames a second.  I could see the mouse slowly/painfully move across the screen when I moved it.  Totally horrible performance.  This wouldn't be a problem if I had the original downloaded version that I could revert back to.  Now that's all I can get from Steam and Aerofly isn't saying much but reinstall the video card drivers (which I did and reinstalled the program).

Bottom line is if you have to depend on a third party to house your software that's trouble.  They control the updates or whether you continue to get your content should they decide to close up shop.  In this case I can't just download what I have and have a copy it's all controlled by Steam and even on application load up Steam is involved logging me into their domain.  Totally horrible way to do function with software.  When the next version of Aerofly FS comes out I'll buy the boxed version to have on hand, the sim is that good (when it comes to simulating aerodynamics).  They can keep Steam and the XBOX Store...   

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

The entire idea behind Steam is to allow you to have access to all of your purchased games in one place, easily download/update them, and sync your progress. This concept doesn't take into consideration a developer failing to thoroughly test an update before publishing it. I understand your issue here, but at the same time, it's not Steam's fault.

Brandon Filer

A bit late now, but I believe there is a way to disable the "automatic update" from Steam. I agree though that I just don't like the Steam concept.

My "relax time" sim us European Truck Simulator 2, available from the company as a download, or via the Steam portal.

Folks using the Steam releases are constantly having to wait several days for Steam to get the update files and DLC content available, while those of us who d/l directly from SCS have been enjoying the new content for awhile already. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This wouldn't be a problem if I had the original downloaded version that I could revert back to.

You can back up the original game files in Steam, and then restore them.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033

Auto updating of games can be disabled by going to your game Library, right-clicking on the game and selecting Properties. From there go to the Updates tab and change the setting accordingly.

You can back up the original game files in Steam, and then restore them.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033

Auto updating of games can be disabled by going to your game Library, right-clicking on the game and selecting Properties. From there go to the Updates tab and change the setting accordingly.

What's funny is I asked why Steam didn't have the latest update featured on their site.  The features of v. 1.2.0.1 look great but man did it break the sim.  I don't buy all of a sudden my computer is too slow to run the sim, they broke something...  I can't even register on their forums to have a conversation with other customers because for some reason I get denied as a spammer.  Great sim I'm looking forward to update 1.2.0.2...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I have Aerofly Fs through steam and have had the update for several days with nothing like the issues you are reporting. That doesn't necessarily prove anything, but I also just took a look at the Aerofly Forums and cant find any posts complaining about a similar issue. The only thing I can think is that you try to join the forum again and report it.

http://www.ipacs.de/forum/forum.php

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

What's funny is I asked why Steam didn't have the latest update featured on their site.  The features of v. 1.2.0.1 look great but man did it break the sim.  I don't buy all of a sudden my computer is too slow to run the sim, they broke something...  I can't even register on their forums to have a conversation with other customers because for some reason I get denied as a spammer.  Great sim I'm looking forward to update 1.2.0.2...

Sounds like you got an IP address they blacklisted for some reason. Maybe someone with your ISP was being naughty and annoyed them lol.

Just recently there has been another simulator on Steam that has had an almost identical problem to the one you are posting about - it's called Train Simulator 2014. It WAS called Train Simulator 2013 until suddenly the publishers decided to "update" the platform and re-brand it entirely. Problem is, it removed and destroyed all DLC that was released for version 2013 so if you go to the product's forums it is full of disgusted users who have virtually had all their DLC purchases removed from the simulator and chucked in the ********** bin with no guarantee of any compatibility updates. That is absolutely disgusting and they should be taken to court.

It's a pity because apart from a few such examples I've really enjoyed the benefits of using Steam. I guess this is one drawback and it isn't one that is in Valve's control at this point. Hopefully your issue gets resolved.

Yikes! I have train simulator 2013 through Steam and updated it through there to 2014. Again with no problems. I can't imagine what's going on.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yikes! I have train simulator 2013 through Steam and updated it through there to 2014. Again with no problems. I can't imagine what's going on.

Out of interest are you able to load the tutorials? I have it and was looking forward to trying it but given that after several re-installs (including a re-download) I continue to receive "scenario failed to load errors" I have given up in disgust. Maybe there is a cache that needs removing somewhere. Google didn't seem to have answers for this either so I'm guessing it's something on my end.

Out of interest are you able to load the tutorials? I have it and was looking forward to trying it but given that after several re-installs (including a re-download) I continue to receive "scenario failed to load errors" I have given up in disgust. Maybe there is a cache that needs removing somewhere. Google didn't seem to have answers for this either so I'm guessing it's something on my end.

Just tried tutorials with no issue. Some searching on the web did turn up this, however. Looks like a patch was pushed through on Steam

http://www.trainsimulatornews.com/2013/10/train-simulator-ts20141-patch-notes.html

Your copy of Train Simulator TS2014 will update automatically through Steam when you next start the Steam client. If you require additional help with using Steam please contact Steam directly via this link. If you require support for Train Simulator TS2014 please contact our support team by emailing support@railsimulator.com 

Devons rig

I will never buy from or use cloud computing. Puts my computer at risk and gives me less control of the product. If it can't be bought on DVD I'm out. Big companies get hacked all the time. The latest is Adobe who got hacked just after forcing customers over to their new cloud way of doing business.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

First off let me start in saying I am truly not a fan of this cloud concept to gaming.  It's like when the developer decides to pull the plug or release a buggy update your screwed as you can't revert back to what you had because you don't have the original media on hand. 

Steam allows you to make a backup, when you are happy with a version make a backup and disable updates

-Paul-

I will never buy from or use cloud computing. Puts my computer at risk and gives me less control of the product. If it can't be bought on DVD I'm out. Big companies get hacked all the time. The latest is Adobe who got hacked just after forcing customers over to their new cloud way of doing business.

Well in the next 5 years mate you wont be able to buy anything, cloud and virtualisation is my bread and butter work these days.

maybe they will fix the problems you have been experiencing. 1-2 fps can not be acceptable.

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

Well in the next 5 years mate you wont be able to buy anything, cloud and virtualisation is my bread and butter work these days.

I know... But with the current level of security I'm not taking part.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!