Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

As Real As It Gets- A REAL 737 Cockpit Sim!

jxuplokd9jftf6kbmr1d.jpeg

Yours truly at the controls- EVERYTHING works!  Note the FlightDeck Solutions 737 FMC's (dual), every item you see other than the FMCs is the real McCoy taken from actual Boeing airplanes- the seats were $4000!  Working Radio Stack, driven by Project Magenta and other custom software, ATC by PilotEdge, the greatest experience of my life in terms of entertainment!  A dream come true!

Thanks and gratitude to James Price for sharing his 18-year project!  His pride and joy!

2erfe3g52oh7mwwz2dvo.jpeg

It does NOT get any better than this- unless my bucket list #1 item is granted, and I get a break from American Airlines in a REAL WORLD plane (not likely!).  This plane's nose came from a Lufthansa.  My nose came from my Italian grandfather!

Everything you see is from the Boeing 737(s)- the real YOKES (both sides), REAL rudder pedals, Real Tiller (actually WORKS), Throttle Quadrant, Radio Stack, IRS panel, overhead, MCP, ND, etc, etc.  The amazing thing is EVERYTHING works within the sim, the trim wheels spin and make the real noise heard in the RW plane, you can control trim from the yoke...

It was a HOLY SMOKE moment, no doubt!  Loved every moment, and the guy who built this is a retired RW ATC controller, and former private plane owner.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

Yeah, not too many people I wouldn't hurt to get a ride in that sim :) Jealous!

You aren't kidding about a lot of the avionics being real, too. I was helping him troubleshoot some audio a while back and he was referring actual hardware from Boeing...neat stuff.

Keith Smith

PilotEdge Founder

ASEL (instrument)

Lancair 360

Looks absolutley brilliant :D

Someone needs to figure out how to get that thing on Vatsim, and checkout WorldFlight.

That would be a great thing to have. Endless fun. Was in a real 737 Simulator once and it was just a blast!

The generous soul who built this let me fly it from KSFO to KLGA (Long Beach, CA).  We flew on PiloteEdge and had gate-to-gate ATC the entire flight.  It was a mind-blowing experience of a lifetime.  I got home and started throwing rocks at my sim...

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

I got home and started throwing rocks at my sim...

Now that is something you don't want to do.

That's a bit like coming home form the strip club and beating your wife. :lol:  :ph34r:

Now that is something you don't want to do.

That's a bit like coming home form the strip club and beating your wife. :lol:  :ph34r:

Now that's funny, I don't care WHO you are!  :p0504:

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Thanks for sharing Robert! Looked like great fun. Next on your list, try a real motion sim. I've had the chance to a couple of times, and guess what. I ended up teasing them about the poor graphics :P  FSX looked so much better!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I'm glad you enjoyed the flying Scott ;-) Thank you for the kind words.

The PilotEdge experience is superb, my hat is off to all the folks making that service so fantastic. After nearly 29 years as an ATCS I can honestly say that PilotEdge is 'as real as it gets'. Trained controllers, real world procedures, and a great human interaction have made my sim flying a zillon times more challenging and interesting. I hope more folks discover the value that PilotEdge provides.

One correction to your post if I may, the avionics suite is Sim-Avionics. Another very worthwhle package IMO. Coupled with X-Plane 10.25b1 using XPUIPC makes my sim come to life!

Don't throw rocks at your setup. Collect the rocks, dig out the gold chunks, and move forward in your quest for a better cockpit! And always remember to fly the airplane, despite what the 'automation' is doing!

James

737SimGuy, on 22 Oct 2013 - 2:53 PM, said:

I'm glad you enjoyed the flying Scott ;-) Thank you for the kind words.

The PilotEdge experience is superb, my hat is off to all the folks making that service so fantastic. After nearly 29 years as an ATCS I can honestly say that PilotEdge is 'as real as it gets'. Trained controllers, real world procedures, and a great human interaction have made my sim flying a zillon times more challenging and interesting. I hope more folks discover the value that PilotEdge provides.

One correction to your post if I may, the avionics suite is Sim-Avionics. Another very worthwhle package IMO. Coupled with X-Plane 10.25b1 using XPUIPC makes my sim come to life!

Don't throw rocks at your setup. Collect the rocks, dig out the gold chunks, and move forward in your quest for a better cockpit! And always remember to fly the airplane, despite what the 'automation' is doing!

James

Truer words never have been spoken! Fly the airplane! VERY important! Do not put too much faith in the FMC- and pay attention to the published charts! The FMC doesn't always conform to what the charts dictate - and you'll catch howdy from ATC if you diverge from the published procedures!

I am in total agreement about PilotEdge- for guys like James and myself- it's a 'deal-maker' in terms of the ultimate immersion. I fully recognize that some folks are 'shy' about learning to use ATC (I myself was extremely awkward when I began - and got yelled at by Vatsim a LOT). On the other hand, I find the people at PilotEdge seem to have above-average patience, especially with newer pilots - as long as you're paying attention (and not trying to do a lot of non-flight stuff at the same time).

I tried their free 14-day trial for like 3 days, and then I gave my credit card and signed for 1 year, it was THAT different from Vatsim. You can fly all over Southern California, which again, is not for everyone. On the other side of that coin is the fact that they are staffed up for 15 hours x 363 days a year, 7 days a week- and you NEVER have the disturbing sudden 'closing' of ATC ops in the middle of your flight during their regular business hours. Blocks-to-Blocks coverage and you'll be plenty busy switching frequencies during your flight.

Of course if you have a sim platform like my buddy James built, you would insist on 'real world' ATC if you could get it. We are fortunate that PilotEdge is in operation. I remember life before I signed up for PE service. It was just not the same. Using VATSPY, I frequently found the entire USA devoid of ATC control. That is not reality, and it's plenty dull flying on Unicom, let me share with you. Not to mention the intrepid odd pilot who hops online and fails to announce his presence much less his intentions. BUZZ KILL when the guy flies right through your airplane!

Sending sincere thanks to James! Great guy and solid pilot! I learned a lot from him in the hours he shared with me.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Wowsa batman!  That is cool.  The outside, is that a projector image?  XPlane 10.25b1  and you are using the free x737 too?  

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Wowsa batman!  That is cool.  The outside, is that a projector image?  XPlane 10.25b1  and you are using the free x737 too?  

I will let James comment on the inner workings... it is mind-blowing.  Yes, he has three overhead projectors doing the visuals.  When we pushed back from the gate, I swear to heaven, it was as if we really were in the cockpit and pushing back!  I don't think I'll ever forget that moment - how it felt.  Plus, he has all the various sounds and tactile reactions like when the engines spool, when the APU goes on or off - I mean if this were a ride at Disneyland, they would OWN ME.

Hey, GREAT IDEA!  See the new Tomorrowland exhibit photo below:

vINXBip.jpg

Dear Santa Claus,

Please see attached photo (above).  I carefully measured my parent's bedroom, after I kick them out and remove their furniture, I believe this item will fit in nicely!  I am sending you flying directions from PFPX software so you can fly direct from the North Pole to my place.  I'm willing to do the assembly myself, if you include really GOOD directions!  I'm really looking forward to this coming Christmas!

Signed,

Your New Best Friend For Life

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Yes,

XP10.25b1,

x737 4.8.2 (without plugin),

Sim-Avionics suite via XPUIPC,

FlightDeck Solutions CDU's, 

3 projectors using Fly Elise NG "MultiView" plugin from a single computer,

TripleHead2Go,

PilotEdge online ATC,

EPIC hardware interface,

SimPhonics sound,

Custom instructor station and 737 logic (written by Matt Ford and I).

The rest is Boeing.

James

Yes,

XP10.25b1,

x737 4.8.2 (without plugin),

Sim-Avionics suite via XPUIPC,

FlightDeck Solutions CDU's, 

3 projectors using Fly Elise NG "MultiView" plugin from a single computer,

TripleHead2Go,

PilotEdge online ATC,

EPIC hardware interface,

SimPhonics sound,

Custom instructor station and 737 logic (written by Matt Ford and I).

The rest is Boeing.

James

The way that James' sim operates is beyond superlatives like "stunning", "amazing", "breathtaking" or even "astounding".  My jaw dropped open the moment I laid eyes on it, and "WOW" was about all I could gurgle over and over.  If there is a Heaven, and I'm pretty confident there is, I hope I can swap out my harp for a simulator on the level that James has built!  He sat at his instructor station when I wasn't looking and triggered an APU fire.  Now THAT got my attention!

If I had something like James' sim at my house - I would have to quit work entirely, I simply couldn't stand not to be flying it!

:im Not Worthy:  <-- me, after seeing James' pride and joy.  I kept marveling that someone OBTAINED all of these items,  installed them, wired them up, and then got them all to play together nicely with 5 computers!  The words "Genius" and "Wizard" seem appropriate here.  Speaking as a guy who got to fly it - it was a real game-changing moment!  Put simply:  My sim?  Little League.  James' sim? MLB.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

I guess the time for kidding around is pretty much over!  Let's get serious!  While the above sim is a helicopter, you can do your favorite Boeing airplane as well!  The Sim Avionics setup pictured earlier in this thread is a joint venture with FlightDeck Solutions, and not full motion.  You can have something like that for a base price starting at around $150,000 USD, fully assembled.  Shipping and setup extra.  Of course, if you want full-motion, you'll be in the millions for cost.  We won't count the electricity bill.  I'll be back in 10 minutes, gotta go buy some Lottery tickets!

Here is a Boeing full-motion sim:

And yet another way to build a great flying experience in a smaller space

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg