Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

As Real As It Gets- A REAL 737 Cockpit Sim!

I think over the next few years it is going to be easier to build one of these things.

I am about 10 years from retirement and I would love to get into building a full 737 cockpit then.

I might fly for few more years but unlike many glider pilots I doubt I will continue beyond 60.

Personally I would try to build the Flight deck on a platform with either hydraulic or Pneumatic actuator

I would go with off the shelf modules; Overhead panel, TQ Pedestal, MCP etc. All USB stuff form one of the well known makers. I might try to get real seats depending on the cost otherwise just get scraped car seats for a junk yard. It would be a great project. It used to be that the Home Flight Deck build was a rare thing indeed. But a lot more enthusiast are doing it now so it will get easier because there is money to be made. There are some amazingly realistic 737TQ's out there.

I think over the next few years it is going to be easier to build one of these things.

I am about 10 years from retirement and I would love to get into building a full 737 cockpit then.

I might fly for few more years but unlike many glider pilots I doubt I will continue beyond 60.

Personally I would try to build the Flight deck on a platform with either hydraulic or Pneumatic actuator

I would go with off the shelf modules; Overhead panel, TQ Pedestal, MCP etc. All USB stuff form one of the well known makers. I might try to get real seats depending on the cost otherwise just get scraped car seats for a junk yard. It would be a great project. It used to be that the Home Flight Deck build was a rare thing indeed. But a lot more enthusiast are doing it now so it will get easier because there is money to be made. There are some amazingly realistic 737TQ's out there.

I have to say I'm pretty impressed by Peter Cos, the CEO of FlightDeck Solutions.  A nice guy who started out as a sim enthusiast, then made a business out of it.  Mr. Cos has BOEING as a client, and has had them for seven consecutive years (according to an email Mr. Cos sent me).  That speaks volumes about his quality and support.

I think he offers everything from a $15000 "JetMax 737" to a $150k full on sim (but not full motion).  Cool stuff, but complicated.  The JetMax stuff is sent out as a KIT, which would require some assembly.  PCs required to run his stuff range from 1 or 2 for JetMax up to 8 or more for the Big Dog setup.

A good goal!  His stuff is built to real world scale AFAIK, so it's not cut down like some of the other makers.  Also, he offers brackets for those who want to integrate stuff they already own (example Yokes).

For my money, the JetMax looks 'do-able'.  I can't picture spending 6 figures on a home sim unit, unless I was going to attempt to charge money to fly it.  To me, operating a sim as a business could be a lot of headaches.  The inevitable collision between customer egos and their actual flight skill set (or lack thereof) just for starters.  Even with 542 hours all in 737 and 777 sims, I needed a first officer to help me manage the flow on my first flight in the killer sim that started this thread.

Hope you pursue your goal!  

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

I think he offers everything from a $15000 "JetMax 737"

Well I just spent $4000 on my current setup and that is not including software of flight controllers so $15000 sounds very do-able to me. But I won't be doing this for a good 10 years from now. Have the money but don't have the time!

But right now I expect to do it and the tech 10 years from now will likely be spectacular! :lol:

Yes, there is little doubt that 10 years from now, we should likely see a marked improvement in both the hardware and even the software.  Hopefully, XPlane 20 will be out by then.

Interestingly, the upper end sim guys (like Peter Cos of FlightDeck Solutions) are pretty convincing in the argument that NETWORKING multiple PCs is the way to go.  1 PC to handle the glass cockpit, another for the overall sim, and so on.

By the time you're ready to really go at it, it should be quite a bit simpler, and maybe even less hassle to assemble!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

As for me, I can only dream  :P .  I agree on using multiple computers though, some day I will start thinking about it.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I just took another look at the JETMAX website and their HQ is just up the street from me :-)

I'll give them a call and get to know them. I love Toronto!

Hi Rob,

Jetmax is 3500, excluding the MCP, EFIS, throttle.

Here is my current setup. I have a pedestal on the way. Working on visuals before the MIP.

The other vendor to check out is flyengravity and cp flight. They have good quality stuff.

I'm just beginning my build so can't compare to the OP...any words of advice? :)

Posted Image

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

any words of advice? :)

My advise to you is start taking a lot more pictures because we all want to know what's going on here! :lol:

All I can say is wow- what a great time to be a flight sim enthusiast!

Hi Rob,

Jetmax is 3500, excluding the MCP, EFIS, throttle.

Here is my current setup. I have a pedestal on the way. Working on visuals before the MIP.

The other vendor to check out is flyengravity and cp flight. They have good quality stuff.

I'm just beginning my build so can't compare to the OP...any words of advice? :)

busyra7e.jpg

Very nice setup!  Where did you get the yoke?  (Who makes it)?  I think I recognize the FDS Throttle Quadrant!  Love your stuff!  Do the trim wheels move during flight or are they just 'decorative'?  Who makes the rudder pedals?  Are you trying to sell a PFC yoke?

I just took another look at the JETMAX website and their HQ is just up the street from me :-)

I'll give them a call and get to know them. I love Toronto!

LUCKY!

Looking good, there, Robert!

Thank you, man!  I am still feeling it, and wishing I was back on board!

My advise to you is start taking a lot more pictures because we all want to know what's going on here! :lol:

+1

As for me, I can only dream  :P .  I agree on using multiple computers though, some day I will start thinking about it.

The difference between doing and dreaming is taking that first step - and drawing your plans out on paper!  From there on, it's put one foot in front of the other!

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

All I can say is wow- what a great time to be a flight sim enthusiast!

Very nice setup! Where did you get the yoke? (Who makes it)? I think I recognize the FDS Throttle Quadrant! Love your stuff! Do the trim wheels move during flight or are they just 'decorative'? Who makes the rudder pedals? Are you trying to sell a PFC yoke?

LUCKY!

Thank you, man! I am still feeling it, and wishing

PFC yoke sold, I meant to remove that. I do have some saitek rudder pedals for sale now.

The yoke is an ACE yoke which I bought second hand. I don't recommend you buy from Ali directly because he has terrible customer relationships.

The throttle is a jetmax, yes correct from FDS. The trim wheels are purely cosmetic and no autothrottle :( maybe something to save up for.

Rudder pedals are from Aerosim solutions based here in Australia which is great because they have a branch right here in Brisbane and all I did was drive up to collect it...very sturdy and heavy.

I also have a cp flight MCP radio and some panels.

What's missing? Visuals, MIP and a CDU. I'm still trying to decide if I should go for the flyengravity Desktop MIP or FDS.

Budget - about $10000. Completely doable in 5-10 years. Can you spend 1000-2000/yr on your hobby? If so, I think you can build a proper 737 cockpit to bring realism up a notch.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering