Sign in to follow this  
CTBlankenship

Mr. Marziaz (sp?)... help me ...

I have spent a well documented $2,700 for a machine that somewhat reliably attains 4.7GH and always attains 4.6GHz.

I have followed all requirements (minimalistic) as have been presented.

But still ... when I approach KFJK on the Parkway visual approach for 13L ... my fps drops to 14 ... ish ... and the presentation is jerky.  I don't care about fps ... I just it to be smooth.

Other than purchasing a Cray computer ... I'm at a loss ...

I do not use any add on scenery except for KATL and KFLL ... and Orbix Global.

#####?

Need more info!

Minimalistic as in all FSX sliders to the left?

No AITraffic?

What kind of REX clouds?

Dont use the HD textures if you have performance problems.

Make sure your anti virus software is not running with FSX.

Where is FSX installed?

On its own HDD or SSD or is it sharing space with something else?

What memory (RAM) do you have (including latency numbers please)?

Slow latency causes stutters.

Two monitors...are you opening up two FSX windows?

Cause in that case frame rate drops by about 50%!

EDIT: And I guess with #####...you meant...Why This Framerate...correct ;-) ?

Rob Robson

There must be something wrong with your setup, i have a medium spec setup with ORBX Global and payware scenery at most airports i fly in the UK and Europe airspace, my sliders are nearly at max, and the 777 handles perfectly!!

I think before you blame PMDG for performance issues you should really check out if there isnt background programs eating up your memory and cpu.

Hi gents,

Yes indeed, i run a Q9550 at 2.83GHz (not overclocked at all), 6GB RAM and a GeForce 480GTX at 1.5 GB VRAM.   I get very good frame rates 95% of the time.   I think there is something amiss with the setup there mate.   What other software are you running like anti-virus software and the likes?

Kind regards

Ollie ... noted ... and I apologize to the forum ... but you can imagine my disappointment ... and exasperation ... ##### is not really a expletive ... for me it means Where is The Fps ... so ... thanks to you for keeping it clean!

Rob <here is the skinny>:

Weather and airports ... None .. this was a check ride for DVA:

Graphics:

Full Screen Resolution:  1920x1200x32 (usually only fly with one monitor ... use the second for EFB)

Target Frame Rate: 30

Global Texture Resolution: Very High

Device: GTX 780 (OC)

Lens Flare

Advanced Animations

Aircraft:

Global Settings: Very Low

High Resolution 3-D VC

Aircraft Landing-lights illuminate ground

Scenery:

Level of Detail radius: Large

Mesh Complexity: 100

Mesh Resolution: 10m

Texture Resolution: 7cm

Water Effects: Low 2.x

Land Detail Textures: Checked

Scenery Complexity: Very Dense

Autogen Density: Dense

Special Effects Detail: High

Weather:

Cloud Draw distance: 60mi/96km

Thermal visualization: Natural

Disable Turbulence and Thermal Effects on Aircraft: Checked

Rate at which weather changes: No Change

Cloud Detail: Cloud Coverage Density: Maximum

Traffic:

Airline Traffic Density: 3%

General Aviation Traffic Density: 3%

Airport Vehicle Density: Minimum

Land and Sea Traffic:

Road Vehicles: 0%

Ships and Ferries: 5%

Leisure Boats: 15%

Where is FSX Installed?  This was a custom rig built for FSX to NickN's specifications:

FSX is installed to D:MSFSX ... a 120GB Sansung 840 SSD

Antivirus software is set up to exclude the entire D drive.

Before we get into any hardware considerations ... read this ... it documents a month long immersion into my entire machine ... including delidding, lapping ... and stress testing.  At 4.6GHz all temps, using all tools available, never leave the 60C range ... there is no throttling going on here.

Memory ... Latency ... quantity ... recommended by NickN ... I even returned my Corsair Dominator Platinum for these ... (DDR3 2400 (PCS 19200 ... 9-11-11-31 CAS 9 ... not overclocked) ... smoke tested each and every one of them, individually, using MemTest 5.0 ... before the OS was even installed.  The only advice I didn't take was to use 4 sticks (instead of 2) of 4GB for other applications ... like Photoshop ... installed on C: (a 250GB Samsung 840 series).  But, I never planned to OC the memory anyway.  And yes, I'm stable running the stock MHz ... (Timings ... DRAM Frequency of 1200.0MHz ... which is 2400 ... remember ... there are two cycles to a sine wave).

NorthBridge is running at 4200.0 MHz.

And, finally, and this is most important ... I'm not blaming PMDG for anything ... I simply reached out to Ryan in the hopes that he'd offer to tunnel into my rig and see what's wrong ... I'd even offer to pay a nice steak dinner at Outback ...

Yes, there is something wrong with the setup ... thanks for pointing that out :lol:  ... which ... by the way ... is why I'm here!  But for the life of me ... I can't figure out what it might be.  Now ... that the particulars are out of the way (and did you enjoy the read about how to delid and lap an i7) does anyone have any viable suggestions?

Luv ya guys ... appreciate the great work!

I have spent a well documented $2,700 for a machine that somewhat reliably attains 4.7GH and always attains 4.6GHz.

I have followed all requirements (minimalistic) as have been presented.

But still ... when I approach KFJK on the Parkway visual approach for 13L ... my fps drops to 14 ... ish ... and the presentation is jerky.  I don't care about fps ... I just it to be smooth.

Other than purchasing a Cray computer ... I'm at a loss ...

I do not use any add on scenery except for KATL and KFLL ... and Orbix Global.

#####?

All I can say is you fell into the same trap as everyone else - spend as much as possible on top-end equipment, completely ignoring what a POS FSX is as a piece of software, and then wondering why it doesn't work very well.

My current computer is 3 years old, cost 1/6th the cost of your new rig, and I get a cool 40 FPS minimum with the 777.

I'm betting you bought Intel/nVidia, right? AMD user here.

Don't take the tone of my post the wrong way - I'm sure your rig is great, but it is common theme among Intel usres around here that if they buy the fastest systems, overclock it to the point of breaking it, and "do all the tweaks", it will run FSX flat-out.

I come along, give a dose of reality (that gets ignored every single time) then I watch it happen again a month later.

I'm outta here +TSRA inbound.

Best regards,

Robin.

It's not the AI traffic, Charles  ...

Can you measure your temps (CPU/GPU)? Freeware tools are available. Might be an overheat issue.

FSX is fully patched (SP1+SP2)?

HIGHMEMFIX=1 in fsx.cfg?

Do you use an AffinityMask entry for the fsx.cfg? Does the entry suit your number of cores? Hyperthreading on/off is reflected in the entry? Does your CPU utilization go up 100% (HT off) or up to some 60% (HT on), which would be good? Just for testing, disable this entry and try again.

Robin ... thanks ... for nothing ... (no offense intended). 

Your comments provided no value except to justify to the forum how great you are ... I'm here to tell you ... if you are flying a T7 with a rig that cost (1/6th of mine ... note the dirth of  technical specifications) and you are getting 40 fps ... then you are a God ... and I bow and worship at the feat of your obviously fantastic capabilities of tweaking HW and SW and FSX.  I will purchase your machine for $450 ... including shipping ... just to find out ... and report back ... if you are what you say you are.  Just give me your PayPal address ... and the deal is done ... but if I find out you are not what you are saying you are ... you owe me double the principle and triple the shipping cost ... deal?

I have erected a shrine to Robin ... just over there in the corner ... it is encrusted in gold ... and it cost 1/6th the cost of ... well ... nothing.

I buy computers every four to five years to last for the next to five years.  It just happened to be that at the time I decided to build my next rig ... FSX was a hobby.  You stick your neck out and proclaim to the world that AMD is now the preferred implementation platform of FSX.  Really?  There are facts out there that contradict your proffering.

Oliver ... temps are absolutely irrelevant ... with all cores ... using Prime95 ... for hours ... temps only reach the low 70s ... all FSX processing keeps the temps in the high 40s to low 50s.

Acceleration installed ... answers that question.

HIGHMEM ... yes ... of course ... first thing.

Affinity Mask ... not yet ... did some research ... didn't think it was worth the effort ... will talk to Nick about that.

HT is off ... as per NickN's bible.

I'm sitting at KIAD at Gate 100 with the T7 and CPU usage is at 36% ... Core 1 is at 100% all the time ... and 2, 3 and 4 are around 20 to 30.

Just can't figure it out ... I'm sure it is something simple I missed ... keep asking questions.

Charles,

What if you run some non-FSX benchmarks to see if your machine performs as expected outside of FSX? I don't know how but could you run, say, the Passmark test and see if your results look right? That way you could isolate the problem to be either in or out of FSX. If your machine smokes the benches then you'd know that it's something with FSX, but if your non-FSX performance isn't where it should be, then maybe it's a bad bios setting or even, sadly, some bad hardware.

Hope this helps.

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

Try creating a fsx.cfg file using http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html.

What is your AffinityMask set to in fsx.cg?

Reason I say that is core 1 should not be 100%, it could either be FSX (which shouldn't use core 1 much) or something running in the background of windows.  When I run fsx, it always uses cores 2-4

I'm going to suggest something you will probably regard as silly (or perhaps it was one of your first steps).

Back up your fsx.cfg, delete or rename it and let FSX create a new one. Put in the himem tweak and nothing else, adjust your sliders and note any results.

Sometimes things just get too freaky tweaky. Only takes a second and removes a variable.

Good luck. I'll be watching because if you find something that works, it may well work for all of us.

Hi,

No need to go that far. I'd send my rig but I need it for work.

I'm sitting at KIAD at Gate 100 with the T7 and CPU usage is at 36% ... Core 1 is at 100% all the time ... and 2, 3 and 4 are around 20 to 30.

Do you have add-on scenery here? Which runway (or gate) are you sat at?

As for my FSX settings, I disabled completely:

* AI

* AutoGen (who needs that at FL390?)

* Bloom

* Dynamic weather/weather rate of change (yes, this actually hits perf more than people think, and it is often enabled bvy 3rd party weather programs - it has also been found to be the source of the super high TAT bug)

I have no add-on scenery except for UK2000 range of airports, and FlyTampa Kai Tak and St. Maarten.

I run FSX at 1600x1200, AA/AS are set in the driver, FSX AA option is disabled, and AS is set to Anisotropic.

Frame rate is set to UNLIMITED (very important).

I run FSX in a window, only because task switching eventually causes FSX to crash.

I have no problems with UIAutomationCore.DLL, though I usually disable it by preventing system access to the DLLs themselves, and restarting the computer to clear it from memory. It causes a couple of programs to stop working but I don't need them when simming (most notably CCC crashes if a tooltip appears - work-around is don't hover long enough for them to display).

My system specs:

* AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE (3.5 GHz stock) AM3+

* 8 Gb DDR3 memory

* ASUS A4M89GTD/Pro (890GTX chipset)

* 1 Gb AMD 6790

* Win Server 2008 R2 SP1

...not even top of the line when I built it, though I spared no expense on the motherboard or memory.

Back up your fsx.cfg, delete or rename it and let FSX create a new one. Put in the himem tweak and nothing else, adjust your sliders and note any results.

Sometimes things just get too freaky tweaky. Only takes a second and removes a variable.

+1

I don't run any of these snake-oil tweaks - they don't work. The only reason HIGHMEMFIX=1 works is because that materially changes how FSX processes graphics. The rest are just nonsense.

Best regards,

Robin.

Robin,

Re-enable your autogen and AI like the rest of us and tell us your FPS on final at KJFK.