Sign in to follow this  
CTBlankenship

Mr. Marziaz (sp?)... help me ...

If you want to ignore the part where I said we get a bunch of tickets with really bizarre graphics issues in the sim on AMD cards then go ahead. Trust me, I have a way larger sample size than your sample of one...

Au contraire, you presume I do not experiment. I "break" computers for fun.

Best regards,

Robin.

Please realize ... that a life exists outside of this hobby ... frankly ... it has already stole from me more time than I should have committed to my daughter.

I will not be back ... thank all of you very much ... and remember ... that addictions are not necessarily chemical in nature.

Love ya ...

Charles, don't go man! I certainly understand the frustration but right now you've got a case of buyer's remorse coupled with guilt over spending time on a hobby at the expense of family. True story: one time I got so fed up with myself flying all the time I severed the cable to my yoke! I thought "that will force me to back away for awhile." (I ordered another one the very next weekend).

Keep in mind that as hobbies go, this one is pretty damn benign. I mean were basically Boy Scouts here! We're not talking aboit drinking, gambling, visiting "massage" parlors here, we're pretending to fly airplanes. How innocent is that! Our hobby doesn't hurt people, doesn't encourage violence, and is something anyone can do, is inclusive. One day you may be able to share this with your daughter and this may inspire her and give her a lot of self-confidence.

Think of the positives!

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

I will not be back ... thank all of you very much ... and remember ... that addictions are not necessarily chemical in nature.

Mr. Blankenship, did you try any of our the suggestions?

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

If you have not spent countless hours working through Nick's hardware build ... and followed his recommendations for software configuration ... please ... do not embarrass yourself by proclaiming you have found a tried and true hardware/software solution to FSX tuning. 

I have spent countless hours working through Nick's stuff. But I have to say that no matter how smart Nick is or you or anybody else thinks he is, no system seems to be alike and react the same to this tweak or that tweak.

What I can tell you from my experience just upgrading due to hardware failure, is that after following his guide to a tee, I was not happy. After many additional hours trying this and that and removing or replacing some of Nick's recommendations, I have what I think is as good of a system performance as I am going to get out this monster called FSX.

This is not me saying I know more than Nick, this is me saying this is how it is. Some of Nick's stuff just did not work for me.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I have to say that I've recently experimented with the 'UsePools=0' tweak and found that it did help with performance but there were negative consequences which I think everyone should be well aware of if they decide to try it.

Firstly, I noticed that there were weird flickers happening in scenery that looked a bit like graphical artifacts appearing momentarily. It was particularly noticeable when panning around in the VC or outside views.

You must set water to 2x high if you are going to use BP=0, or you will get serious artifacting.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Argh.....

You know what I get over default FSX, no AI, no Autogen?
+100fps....I am not kidding!
But I would turn the thing of after five minutes cause it is too ugly to look at!

If I load the default Cessna, in most parts of the FSX world, I get 200+ FPS. If I go to Darwin in Australia, I get over 300 FPS. What is your point????????

Then you answere to someone who asks what happens if you turn autogen and AI on:
quote:
Assuming FSX doesn't crash, it will be a very stuttery 15 if I'm lucky. If I max everything I get a paltry 5 FPS, depending on where I'm looking.
unquote.

I appriciate you being honest here, really.
But cant you see how ridiculous it looks if you tell Rayn:

I'm wasting my time typing this, but I will anyway. Performance aside, you fail to recognize that it causes INSTABILITY! What use is it if it causes a CTD 5 hours into a flight? ABSOLUTELY USELESS is what it is!!!!!!!

WHY does the CTD occur? ASK MICROSOFT. All this talk of bufferpools, etc.., is like saying because your car is painted blue it is more likely to suffer a flat tyre.

Sorry to see the OP leave without a resolution to his problem.

Do you know how many times I nearly threw FSX in the bin??? I bought the MD-11 for FSX at release. I didn't fly it for nearly 3 years because I didn't fly FSX for that time, as it was too unstable. I really wanted to fly the MD-11 in FSX, so I persevered for 2 MONTHS whilst I tried every possible combination of setting I could think of. I was trying desperately to make FSX run stable AND have some eye candy (you think I don't want that as well?). My conclusion? The EYE CANDY is precisely what was preventing it running well!!!! I never ran AI to start with as I always flew online in some form, so I inadvertently avoided the memory leak bug that is present in the AI traffic.

I discovered AutoGen was also causing problems when I flew a few times with it disabled out of desperation, and found I didn't suffer CTDs as a result. Hello flights > 5 hours!

If you read this forum, you will find a post by Tabs that states that sitting in the Fly Now screen for any period of time with any aircraft selected will eventually result in a crash. Please tell me which FSX tweak fixes this? Hint: there isn't one.

Best regards,

Robin.

What the heck? I feel like I just watched a somewhat ok movie with a lousy ending.

Well... some people don't have the time to mess around getting something to work. It shouldn't be necessary. Period.

I only tried to get FSX working well so I could fly the MD-11. Even last year I was getting so fed up with the crashes in FSX I bought the MD-11 again for FS9. I then discovered the latest version of FSUIPC fixed a certain type of crash in FSX, which made it a whole lot more flyable. The 777 was the ultimate test. I didn't even fly the NGX that much because I kept experiencing CTDs. Now that is flyable, too.

More Intel/nVidia woes: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/424212-random-fps-drop/

Best regards,

Robin.

I'm wasting my time typing this, but I will anyway. Performance aside, you fail to recognize that it causes INSTABILITY! What use is it if it causes a CTD 5 hours into a flight? ABSOLUTELY USELESS is what it is!!!!!!!

WHY does the CTD occur? ASK MICROSOFT. All this talk of bufferpools, etc.., is like saying because your car is painted blue it is more likely to suffer a flat tyre.

I discovered AutoGen was also causing problems when I flew a few times with it disabled out of desperation, and found I didn't suffer CTDs as a result. Hello flights > 5 hours!

I don't have instability, I do use BP=0, I don't turn off my autogen, I do have a reasonably fluid display, I do have acceptable FPS, I can fly for more than 5hrs, I don't get OOM crashes or fatal errors, I do fly high end addons (PMDG, FSDT, Flightbeam) It took me a while but do have an enjoyable flying experience.

Sorry Robin, but what you are telling me, is to go back to 2006, something that if you invest the time and money into an available system in today's computer market, you just don't have to accept.

Why the OP gave up on a better system than mine, I have no idea.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Believe it or not ... the AffinityMask = 14 setting shifted primary processing over to Core 1 (Core 2 for you non-programmers) ... I've found a mathematical "proof" for what this setting does here ... I'm going to try to apply it to my machine and find out why my FPS went from the mid 30s to the mid 40s sitting at KIAD ... Gate 100 ... with no weather or scenery.  Yes, I take the minimalistic approach ... start clean ... obtain acceptable levels of performance ... then add on.

And, yes, just like any addiction ... I simply couldn't let a $2,700 investment flounder without going the extra mile.  As we say, in the software development world, the last 10% requires 90% of the effort. 

But this FSX is a slippery slope ... poorly programmed ... nicely appointed ... and just like a woman ... certainly has a personality doesn't she?

So far ... I'm pleased ... it appears that the shimmering on monitor two has been significantly minimized ... and the temps on all four cores ... no HT ... maxed at 46/52/50/50/52 (with Package being the last figure).  So, no, with de-lidding, lapping and water cooling ... there is absolutely no throttling going on here ...

Gonna try my check ride ... one more time.

Just like the Godfather ... just when I think I'm out ... they pulla me back in.

I did reverse the AffinityMask entry ... as it appeared to have a negative impact ... my rig seems to like Core 0 the most ... other than that ... this checkride maxed out the 30FPS limit in most respects. 

When I get time I'll correlate all pertinent settings and post my response.

The flickering that takes place on the right monitor is still not gone ... but it has reduced somewhat ... as I do not play any other games ... (as to me games are a waste of time ... this FSX is a learning experience in my opinion) ... this troubleshooting will be left to another forum ... like EVGA's.  I'll post results.  But I have a sickly feeling that when I tell them it only happens with FSX ... I'm going to have to get my kid involved so he can play Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell to help troubleshoot.

Oh ... I flew a tricycle of KJFK and the frame rates were like 1,000+ ... wow ... that was mean wasn't it.

You must set water to 2x high if you are going to use BP=0, or you will get serious artifacting.

Regards,

I think I tried that as well but still had CTD's even when flying the NGX so gave up and turned it off. Might look into it again at some point but am a bit wary as I'm 90% sure that this setting was the cause of numerous CTD's.

I think I also managed to sort out the blurries by following some steps in Nick's guide eg. turning on AA and AF using NVidia Inspector (the AA looks MUCH nicer than what FSX does) and setting vsync to 1/2 monitor refresh and limiting FPS to 30. I average about 25-30 FPS now but interestingly the stutters have gone away as well as occasional black boxes around certain objects, I also set the TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120.

This was all during a test flight from KSEA to KSFO last night in the 777 and am keen to do a long-haul in it as I would normally get a CTD after several hours in cruise.

my rig seems to like Core 0 the most

This is not surprising TBH. FSX is no more optimized for multi-threading than FS98 was. As I'm sure you're aware, multi-threading can just kill performance if done incorrectly. FSX is a patchwork quilt of code.

My favorite example of old code kicking around 25+ years after its introduction was the add font dialogue of Vista. Not changed since Windows 3.0. They finally killed it off in Win 7. I'll bet the code is still buried in there though. :lol: 

Best regards,

Robin.

Check ... already running that ...

[Display]

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

I only added this one recently to try and solve the blurred textures issue (it was pretty blurry even at 3000ft) and I think it may have done the trick (not 100% sure on that one).

Are you mainly only having FPS issues or blurred textures as well?

I would also try unlimited FPS in FSX settings if you haven't done so already as that should give some good FPS above 40. In saying that however, I had it throttled to 30 originally and had horrible FPS in city areas similar to what you're experiencing, then went to unlimited and 'seemed' OK, but now have gone back to 30 from unlimited and set vsync to 1/2 refresh using NVidia Inspector tool and seems to work much better than before. It seems more consistent now whereas previously at unlimited it would be around 40-50 in some areas then got all stuttery and back to 15-20 during approaches + blurries.

Kind of scratching my head over that one now...

It really is a case of trial and error with this and it is frustrating as I haven't changed hardware in 3 yrs except for a new SSD (running i7 2600K, 8GB DDR3, GTX 560ti 2GB, no overclocking whatsoever) and got different performance every time after re-installing the OS.