Sign in to follow this  
Andythefridge

ADF in the Carenado Seneca II

Hi everyone,

I recently bought the Carenado Seneca II, and overall I am quite happy with my purchase. Unfortunately the Seneca does not come with an RMI. As was discussed in other topics on this forum I tried to replace the ADF Gauge with the basic RMI from the stock Baron. Now I also am flying the RealAir Duke, and their gauges are second to none. I would love to replace the Carenado ADF Gauge with the Realair RMI, but I have no Idea on how to accomplish that. 

Also: Is it possible to switch the ADF Radio out for another Radio? Again the ADF Radio in the Realair Duke is really working just like the real Thing! I need to fly the Seneca for training purposes, but I really enjoy flying NDB approaches - with an RMI that is. Basically I want the functionality of the RealAir RMI, and the RealAir ADF Radio in the Carenado Seneca.

An Alternative would be to buy the Reality XP Gauges, but I would prefer not to do that. Has anyone tried replacing Carenado Gauges with RealityXP gauges?

Andy,

Sorry I'm not going to be able to help you much, but didn't want you to be left completely hanging on your first post - and welcome, BTW.

I'd guess your best chance would be with the RXP gauges, but hopefully someone with experience in using them can offer a bit more assistance.  Yes, the RealAir gauges are world class as far as I'm concerned, but I can't imagine you're going to have much luck trying to move those over.

As for the radio itself, it's one of the continuing frustrations with Carenado unfortunately.  They've basically been recycling that radio on almost every plane they've done, right up to the recent Malibu.  As someone who enjoys the challenge of the occasional NDB approach I find them particularly frustrating as it can be almost impossible to find the tuning spots in any kind of turbulence.  My solution to that problem is actually a hardware one, as I use Saitek's radio panel (with SPAD drivers which make them a MUCH better device).  That obviously doesn't help with functionality, but at least I can tune frequencies in a reasonably realistic (and non-frustrating!) fashion.

Hope someone can give you some better help, but again - welcome,

Scott

You definitely cannot move the RealAir Duke gauges to another airplane, since they are 3d modeled and tied to the existing cockpit model..

As for RXP gauges, they are very good and may well match your requirements.. I actually have an RXP ADF gauge in my Seneca panel.

Send me a PM with your email address and we can discuss some more..

Edit.. here a quick test with the RXP RMI

Bert

Thank you for your replies! 

Bert, your photos really piqued my interest! You seem to have replaced the entire avionics!

I don't have the RealAir Scout, so I don't know anything about that plane. How is the functionality of the ADF radio in the Seneca? I assume the Scouts ADF behaves just like the Duke's or Lancair's? ( Elapsed Time and Flight Time?). 

You also replaced the HSI and the AI in your aircraft - those two instruments bug me the most - are those also the RXP gauges?

How did you integrate the reality xp 430/530? Right now I only have the 430, is it possible to only add the 430 into the panel? 

Also, where can i get that sweet GMA 340? 

edit: @ ttocs: I completely agree! Its so frustating trying to find the right spot where to click, and it seems to only work in one direction - so after finally finding the spot you click one time to many and have to start over! Especially if you are coping with a high workload situation its so annoying that the simple act of changing a frequency turns out to be the most time-consuming problem.

Hi all,

there are really nice freeware xml gauges to download: "NavInstDCBJRv1.zip" with vor1, vor2, gyro and slaved ADF.

Just download and swap slaved adf gauge in the Seneca - and others - panel.

It's free, that's it.

Bert: That Seneca panel is really great! The seneca is one of my favorites even if it is a bit old. There is just something about thhis plane that makes it so much fun to fly (same with the 182RG). 

After a complete reinstall this week I am looking forward to using the panel for the RG that you gave me a year ago. Your panel for the Seneca would be a welcome addition.

Regards

Neal Howard

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg