Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

FSX A2A C172's FM vs X-P

One of the challenges A2A faces is that they are presenting this product to a far larger group of users who've actually flown the plane IRL than anything else they've ever done.  And we all have opinions, and not all of those opinions match. :-)

Very true, and we can't forget the myriad of systems, malfunctions, etc... they're actually simulating.

This C172 is the first FSX add-on ( prop GA ) that has, for instance, a plausibly implemented Ammeter!  You actually see it charging at higher power settings, specially if not using all the main sources of electrical drain.

Strangely I find the latest patch, 1.03, very good in terms of all of the flight controls and their sensitivity. I am also suing FSUIPC but all axis are linear. It probably helped a lot having learned to master the DCS p51d a few months agos :-)

OTOH, I still find the way one can fly the A2A C172 under ground effect somehow irrealistic, and think, for instance, that the default C172 in X-Plane 10 does a much better job there too...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thanks to this thread, I've gone back to see what updates have occurred since I decided to take a break from the plane.  As I noted earlier, the flight model is still a work in progress, and from the release notes, particularly so when it comes to torque and P-factor.

A couple of relevant quotes from the release notes (all emphasis mine). 

From the 1.02 notes: "Increased modeling of pfactor (still in testing and development). Should require moderate rudder on roll out, slight taps on takeoff run, slight pressure on a standard climb, increased pressure approaching a stall. Also reverse torque has been simulated. Try flying at a moderate speed, under 80kts ias, and cut the throttle. You should get a very slight roll to the right. The aircraft will always have a slight roll one way based on these power changes (watch how the ball moves). The only time the plane will fly neutral is during cruise operations (when the prop is neither pulling or pushing). The pfactor does pull more than it should while taxiing. This will be remedied in the next update."

And 1.03: pFactor and engine torque effect on airframe physics tuned (still in development)

As mentioned, I truly appreciate the efforts involved here to do it right and the continued tuning this is getting.  Note the references to rudder for roll out, takeoff and climb and my emphasis on "slight" referring to roll as a result of power changes.  The intent is obviously not to have a plane that feels inherently unstable and twitchy, but does feel alive, responsive and correct.  I've also highlighted that A2A agree that a 172 in level flight at cruise power should be neutral (obviously assuming a reasonably neutral load).

That's not how my 172 currently behaves, but based on what I'm reading in the release notes what they're aiming for matches the behavior I've personally experienced in the 172 and most other GA singles.

Scott

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...