Sign in to follow this  
wlix261

Near Miss of two 747's over Scotland

Seems like this incident, (in the news recently) happened despite of using TCAS and the intervention of ATC with both pilots;  the two A/C manage to get 100' from each other!

How could this have happened? Especially with such modern systems and in this part of the world?

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2013/10/22/why-did-ba-and-lh-turn-on-each-other-in-uk-airspace/ 

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

How did this happen? Well we are human, plain and simple. The PM read back the correct course correction and the PF did the exact opposite....

Will be interesting to read the CVR transcript, and also find out if the resolution advisorys blaring out of the speakers affected what the PF heard from ATC and the PM

Rob Prest

Yes they should, but RA's will be to descend or climb, from what I have read ATC asked them to turn left, the PM repeated the instruction correctly but the PF turned right.

I have no idea if an RA was actually sounding during the ATC call. Just curious as to what caused the PF to screw up like that and not follow what the PM had read back correctly.

Rob Prest

Please guys, dont just repeat the trash the media is telling you.

Let me quote the report:

"As to the risk, because B747(1) had B747(2) in sight as it was turning towards it, and both ac reacted to TCAS RAs thereby establishing standard vertical separation by a horizontal distance of 2.8nm, the Board opined that there was no risk of a collision"

http://www.airproxboard.org.uk/docs/423/20130911-2013.09Reports.pdf (starting page 61)

The usual media histeria, dont fall for it ^_^

btw: the VERTICAL distance was 100ft, the actual distance in between the two was much, much more....

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Calm yourself Chris... No one is listening to media hype here, well at least not myself and Oliver.

Regardless of separation we have what appears to be a pretty big CRM screw up with both flight crews on two major carriers. This in itself is worth discussing.

Rob Prest

Calm yourself Chris... No one is listening to media hype here, well at least not myself and Oliver.

Regardless of separation we have a pretty big CRM screw up with both flight crews on two major carriers. This in itself is worth discussing.

Well, if you google a bit you will see how many people are falling for this story. One media source started it and now it's all over including many useless debates about how "dangerous" flying is.

Was it an an incident worth looking into - yes, and they did. But no need to exaggerate it. The system (in this case the TCAS) worked and both crews seemed to have learned from the Bodensee-tragedy and followed the RA.

ANd i didn't want to sound rude... sorry for that.

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

No worries Chris, and thank you for the link. Hanger chat tends to 'normally' be one of the more sane areas of the web thankfully!

Rob Prest

btw: the VERTICAL distance was 100ft, the actual distance in between the two was much, much more....

On CNN this morning I noticed that the "Headline" on screen screamed out "100 Feet!"

They focused on and seized that distance as though it told the whole story, when in actual fact the closest the two aircraft ever were to one another was, according to the report:

100ft V/3.9 nm H (closest vertical separation)

1100ft V/2.8nm H (closest horizontal separation)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

(...)

Thanks, Rob!

I actually may have triggered Chris' reaction with my "100 ft closer" remark ...   :unsure:

Typical media overreaction and the public's tendency to fall for it.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Media Overreaction sells newspapers and earns ratings for big networks, regardless of how inaccurate the report is.   I could get into it about how useless I think a lot of news networks are now but I don't want to get a warning on the new warning/ban system.  XD

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Regardless of separation we have what appears to be a pretty big CRM screw up with both flight crews on two major carriers. This in itself is worth discussing.

Folks, I guess one should have emphasized that this was the purpose of the initial post. There was no accident, and yes, the press over-emphasized a partial truth (maybe  to sell more air-time on TV). Yet this was a screw-up and could have ended up on a major accident by two major airlines on an air space with mature civil aviation organization and infrastructure.

Near-miss reporting, analysis and dissemination of results is important to avoid repetition of avoidable situations. In the US, seems like such reporting is voluntary http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/search/database.html .

Should near-miss reporting

http://www.nsc.org/Documents/900002534_ADV_OSHA%20NearMissCase_R13.pdf  become mandatory?.

Another industry where reporting of near-misses is important is health-care https://www.nearmiss.org/

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

100ft V/3.9 nm H (closest vertical separation)
1100ft V/2.8nm H (closest horizontal separation)

Seeing this makes me realize it has been over 10 years since the last time I did Pythagoras.....1104.5 feet apart

Dusted off the old cobwebs on that one  :lol:

Matthew Kane