Sign in to follow this  
BleedAir

Can I install FS9 on same HD as FSX?

Nope, no issues here, just make sure you don't install into the Programs x86 folder, I keep both sims on the root drive.

Rob Prest

Nope, no issues here, just make sure you don't install into the Programs x86 folder, I keep both sims on the root drive.

ok thanks

I've always installed into the Programs x86 folder.. FS9, FSX, & P3D. Permissions set to low. Never a problem. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Yes x86 is fine if you know what you are doing. Now ask what any FS developer will recommend, install outside of the x86 folder. This is because not everyone knows the ins and outs of Win7 security.

Trust me, as someone that does tech support I see a huge amount of issues because someone has installed in the x86 folder. personally I see no benefit in having FS installed in that folder.

Rob Prest

OK!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Until recently I had FS9 and FSX installed on a single PC. Different hard drives but they will work fine on a single one.

As advised by some keep it away from any Program Files folder. No benefits are gained. Install FS9 to C:\FS9 and FSX to C:\FSX. Nice and simple. :Applause:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Disable UAC and install it where you like. Same difference I gather.

Would be prefect if it was that simple :)

Rob Prest

I go one step further and instll both FS9 and FSX on one of my backup internal drives keeping them away from the operating system alltogether.

Had both installed on the same HDD for years with no issues. As has been stated, FSX should be installed in its own file folder created by yourself, not the default X86 pathway. Windows can still be a "nanny" even with UAC and Windows Defender turned off. Furthermore, these features are often switched back on without your knowledge when performing Windows updates and other such tasks. Regards

All my installs go into the x86 folder without issue. (FS9, FSX, P3D). The only irritating issue I came across over the years was when I uninstalled FSX, it removed my FS9 registry path entry. Which was easily fixed.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

I have had both FS9 and FSX installed on my C drive for a few years with no problems.

C:\FS9 and C:\Flight Simulator X.

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________