Sign in to follow this  
turner447

Struggling with Final Approaches

Good afternoon / Early Evening,

I having some trouble with the 777 i also had this with 737 and ILS approaches. especially trying to get lined up with it from the route I've just taken.

Basically when programming the Flight computer i put my STAR in and all the good stuff. then i get the ROUTE DISCONTINUITY and i copy the CI27 (say for example) which is the first point under the DISCON line.

This is due to a video i watched on the 737 and he did this so assumed it was normal.

I can never get lined up properly;y and always tend to do nose down approach. I did follow the tutorial which is good! but when i do my own routes i just simply have to pull some G and nose dive to make i to the runway.

If you need some more information or can't understand the point i'm trying put across let me know.

Regards

Chris

Sounds like you're not LOW enough. I had the same problem. I then realized Im trying to catch the "Glideslope" at 5000ft. Not Good. Ususally aircraft fly 1000ft AGL untill the "Glidslope". 

Sounds like you're not LOW enough. I had the same problem. I then realized Im trying to catch the "Glideslope" at 5000ft. Not Good. Ususally aircraft fly 1000ft AGL untill the "Glidslope".

Hi Erik,

It sounds like you have gone from one extreme to the other, aircraft don't 'usually' fly at 1000ft agl to the glide slope. You remain above MSA and intercept at the correct altitude according to your approach chart for the specific runway.

Regards

Rob Prest

I can never get lined up properly;y and always tend to do nose down approach. I did follow the tutorial which is good! but when i do my own routes i just simply have to pull some G and nose dive to make i to the runway.

If you have the final approach chart for the specific runway, it should show the proper altitude at the first fix (initial approach fix).  Even without the chart, the CDU should show the proper altitude for the initial fix.  It should be the waypoint just after the discontinuity between your STAR and your final approach to the specific runway. CI27 is probably the right fix in your example.  It should have a speed and altitude next to it, something like this: "220/3000."  Try to descend to that altitude before you get to that fix.  It will definitely be well above 1000 ft AGL. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I learned how to land the 737 NGX by watching how the Autoland computer handles it.   I am a master of the Autoland system as I flew for a long while with no Yoke, just a keyboard, so Autoland was necessary to not die during the flare.   After having watched the computer in action 50 times, I now mimic it on VFR approaches pretty good and haven't torn my plane in half yet.

You need to hit that IP point at the designated altitude on your Approach Chart for the airport and runway you have selected.   Most approaches from that point to the ground are around 700/800 FPM descents with the plane at VREF speed, nose level and trimmed up.   I start the flare about 50 feet off the ground, cut throttle and just lightly touch down.  Most my lands are under 100FPM feather touchdowns, which the passengers like.   No one wants the landing gear coming up through the floor and into their lap.  lol

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I can land the plane perfect when i'm flying visually and get lined up by ATC on the likes of VATSIM, but i'm always the one who asks for Radar Vectors to ILS.

Brazen - I'll pop it on tomorrow along with my route.

I also did all my landings with autoland to learn the approaches and see what 3 degree slope looks like etc. and see how it should be done and then gradually took over more and more of the flying.  That worked for me who is absolutely not an ATPL but just a simulator pilot.  So for example you can use the localiser to be in line with the runway but fly the 3 degree slope yourself or you can set the heading to the runway heading on the FMC and follow that in etc.

Reegards

Charts will help a great deal.  You can add waypoints to smooth your transition - and as noted, you have altitude fixes for where you might enter your final approach. 

You always want to capture the glideslope from below - it will make speed management on final a whole lot easier.

Colin in Seattle.