Sign in to follow this  

Hello everyone. My PC will become 5 years old on November 15th, so it's time for an upgrade.

When I bought it back in 2008, I believed it'd run FSX maxed out with decent fps... Couldn't be more wrong  :biggrin:

These are my current components:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz (not overclocked)

Motherboard: Intel DG31PR

Video Card: 512MB MSI Radeon HD 4870 GDDR5

RAM Memory: -Unknown- 4GB DDR2 RAMs (2x2GB sticks)

Hard Disk: Some 500GB Samsung @ 7.200rpm

After reading opinions and reviews in several places, and watching videos, I've pre-chosen the parts I want for my new computer, which are:

Processor: Intel i7 4770k @ 3.5GHz (planning to overclock it to 4.3 - 4.5GHz)

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula R.o.G. with Intel Z87 chipset (Haswell compatible)

Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5

RAM Memory: 8GB (2x4GB sticks) Corsair Vengeance Blue @ 2133MHz PC3 17000 (reference CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11B)

Hard Disks: Haven't decided yet the specific product; I want to buy at least 2 128GB SSDs: one for Windows and the other one for FSX, and a normal 500GB (or maybe up to 1TB) 7.200rpm disk for the rest of my files.

Processor Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i

Power Supply: Corsair TX750M

Computer Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Full Tower

Now, since in my country prices are way more expensive than in the U.S., for example, due to import prices and taxes, my budget doesn't allow me to buy the entire PC at once. Therefore, I'm looking forward to buying everything except the videocard, which means I'd be using the new setup with my old Radeon HD 4870. Will it be compatible? I know that if it is it'll be the bottleneck on my system, but I prefer buying the most important parts first, and then in 2014 buy the videocard which hopefully will be cheaper, or if by then the new Maxwell ones are already released, maybe stretch a little and buy one of those if it's really worth it.

I'm no expert in hardware parts nor do I have enough time to do a massive research due to my job. I'm not planning to build a NASA machine either since my budget is rather tight. All I want is a good PC that can run FSX smoothly enough (right now I'm just focused on PMDG heavies), and that will last for a while. Figure that, if my current PC lasted for 5 years, this new one wouldn't have trouble for at least 2 or 3 more! That's why I post this topic. What do you guys think? Do you recommend any different (and preferably better) components? Or do you think this will do fine for what I'm looking for? By the way, I chose the 780 because I'd also like to play some other games, and in the future, maybe consider moving to Prepar3D.

Thanks in advance!

Your upgrade looks good to me. I haven't considered the ASUS Maximus and wonder why you chose that motherboard (SLI Crossfire? I see as the main benefit yet you do not  mention a second graphics card?) That particular motherboard averages NZ $500-540 here.

I have been doing a bit of research lately as I too am about to upgrade from an i5 750 (overclocked to 4ghz). Local pricing is way higher than that offered in the US.

I am looking only to replace the motherboard (gigabyte) with an Asus Z87 Pro, and the Intel processor with the same CPU as you (Haswell i7 4770k). This has pushed the upgrade price to over NZ$800. (I plan to do the upgrade myself).

My video card was updated in June to a GTX 770 2gb (all I could afford in June). I plan to keep my TX750 Power supply (I am aware of the trickle power differences offered for the Haswell, but am reassured it is not essential) I also plan to hang onto my 1600 rated 8 Gigabytes of Ram. I have yet to research the cooler I currently have as to whether it would fit the Haswell - I doubt it but need to do the research (My cooler is currently a Kuhler radiator type)

My only issues are my OEM version of windows 7 64bit - not supposedly allowed for this type of upgrade although last time I did this I did receive another key from Microsoft. (All that distributors sell here appears to be OEM versions of 7 and 8?) .. and my aircraft purchases that are hardcoded (Sibwings for one but I suspect Realair, PMDG, Flight1 DC9, and ORBX sceneries will all give me licencing issues.) Sigh... copy protection has left this type of upgrade not as simple as it once was...

Anyway, best wishes with your upgrade

If money is an issue, you can do much better than that:

Processor: Intel i7 4770k @ 3.5GHz (planning to overclock it to 4.3 - 4.5GHz)

I5 4670K will net you virtually the same performance for $100 less

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula R.o.G. with Intel Z87 chipset (Haswell compatible)

Most likely overkill. Unless you know you need it for some reason (SLI, # of USB ports, ...), you can easily save anothe 150 - $200 there

Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 3GB GDDR5

Keep you current card for the time being and upgrade later down the road

RAM Memory: 8GB (2x4GB sticks) Corsair Vengeance Blue @ 2133MHz PC3 17000 (reference CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11B)

Can you post a link to the store you'll be getting your parts from? Usually there's affordable 2400MHz Ram. RAM can be cheap and fast, and can easily be too expensive for the boost it yields too 

Hard Disks: Haven't decided yet the specific product; I want to buy at least 2 128GB SSDs: one for Windows and the other one for FSX, and a normal 500GB (or maybe up to 1TB) 7.200rpm disk for the rest of my files.

Better get a single 256GB SSD and install both the OS and FSX there. It's cheaper and 128GB for the OS is a waste. Youll get more space for FSX addons

Processor Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i

For those clocks, a CM Hyper 212+ or evo will do just fine

Power Supply: Corsair TX750M

Nice. You could save a few bucks going for a TX650, but it's a good choice

Thank you guys for your comments.

IMHO your right on there Jhon. 780 probably a good decision also. You building it yourself?

Yeah, although there're some parts I've never had before, so some help would come in handy!

I haven't considered the ASUS Maximus and wonder why you chose that motherboard (SLI Crossfire? I see as the main benefit yet you do not  mention a second graphics card?) That particular motherboard averages NZ $500-540 here.

In reality it was mere personal taste, because it offers some good- yet not indispensable features, and because it's great looking. I have no plans for SLI / Crossfire in the near future, so I could do perfectly fine also with an ASUS Z87 Pro, it's about $100 cheaper here. Thanks for your good wishes!

I5 4670K will net you virtually the same performance for $100 less

At some point I also considered the i5 option, but even though HyperThreading has no use in FSX, it can be useful for other programs and games when not flying. Because of that I'll stick with the 4770k for now.

Most likely overkill. Unless you know you need it for some reason (SLI, # of USB ports, ...), you can easily save anothe 150 - $200 there

Indeed. As replied to Ray above, the Z87 could also do the trick.

Keep you current card for the time being and upgrade later down the road

I will, since my budget doesn't me allow me to buy the video card right now. It's the most expensive component, so it'll have to wait until 2014. My 4870 could perform decently I hope.

Can you post a link to the store you'll be getting your parts from? Usually there's affordable 2400MHz Ram. RAM can be cheap and fast, and can easily be too expensive for the boost it yields too 

Sure: www.omarberrio.com. It's a colombian site, in Spanish.

Better get a single 256GB SSD and install both the OS and FSX there. It's cheaper and 128GB for the OS is a waste. Youll get more space for FSX addons

Good point. I'll do that instead.

For those clocks, a CM Hyper 212+ or evo will do just fine

I'll read and get info about those.

Nice. You could save a few bucks going for a TX650, but it's a good choice

Since I'm not to use SLI / Crossfire, I downgraded the selection to a TX650, which is obviously cheaper and will do perfectly fine in my opinion.

Thanks for the tips, any further ones are welcome!