Sign in to follow this  
qasim_786

Nvidia Gsync - too good to be true?

Hi guys,

I am sorry if this has been covered before but did a quick search and couldn't find anything. I'm sure you will let me know if it has been.

So the new Tech announced by Nvidia called Gsync. Personally I am SO SO SO  excited by it. It essentially gets rid of the fps issue all together so regardless of your computer only being able to push out 30 fps or above everything will be as silky smooth as if it was on 60fps. I was really excited when I was thinking about what this would mean for my more modern games but then when I thought about how this would fsx I nearly peed myself. The thought of those high resolution textures and high lod and just cranking everything up to max including trafiic is and still getting smooth gameplay is amazing. No tearing, no stuttering, no pulsing despite the frame dips and low frame rates, sounds like a cruel joke but is actually real.

If you haven't checked out gsync I really really suggest you do. It is really going to be a game changer. Let me know what your thoughts are on it. In the mean time enjoy one of my videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_AzHvy9dNk

I'm skeptical that it's a definitive game changer for FSX, and hopefully those with a far more thorough understanding of how this will impact it will chime in, but in my cursory reading of the reviews, it looks like a pretty phenomenal and reasonably priced advancement in monitor tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Ya and bf4 won't even have it so FSX won't either

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

This will only eliminate screen tearing as far as I know.

No, it's more than that. It basically allows the GPU to set the refresh rate of the monitor in real time dynamically. This means a display that looks like Vsync is on without any of the problems with the framerate getting halved if it drops below 60 or 30 or whatever multiple of a normal refresh rate. It also eliminates mouse input lag (this is huge for FPS and RTS gamers) and judder from frame duplication - both are just as annoying as tearing is.

Several of the biggest names in game development like John Carmack (legendary graphics engine programmer at id Software) and Tim Sweeney (Epic Games - author of the Unreal engine) saw G-Sync in person and said that it's revolutionary. I would tend to believe guys like them if they say it's amazing.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

FSX will still be CPU bound.

Whatever is causing it to produce lower fps whether it be cpu or gpu it will not matter. The fps will have no impact on the fluidity and smoothness of the experience.

Ya and bf4 won't even have it so FSX won't either

Sorry, what do you mean bf4 will not support gsync? Has that been confirmed? Im praying to God it works with fsx....

Slick way to get me to click on your link, if that's what it was. :)

Anyway, here's the "real" link.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/10/18/g-sync/

Lol that link was a genuine hope some1 might be interested in my video. Honestly did not mean to mislead.

No, it's more than that. It basically allows the GPU to set the refresh rate of the monitor in real time dynamically.

Several of the biggest names in game development like John Carmack (legendary graphics engine programmer at id Software) and Tim Sweeney (Epic Games - author of the Unreal engine) saw G-Sync in person and said that it's revolutionary. I would tend to believe guys like them if they say it's amazing.

It sounds fabulous and significantly addresses some of the root causes of stuttering video. Do we have anything on a release time frame?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

It sounds fabulous and significantly addresses some of the root causes of stuttering video. Do we have anything on a release time frame?

Yes. So the majority of us will wait till q1 2014 and asus and some other big companies have said that is when they will release their first gsync monitors. For the very keen of us, a do it yourself kit will be released later this year which is only compatible with a select few existing monitors wherby you open the monitor and replace the chip yourself. So basically q1 2014.

From this link:

NVIDIA demonstrated the technology on 144Hz ASUS panels, which obviously caps the max GPU present rate at 144 fps although that's not a limit of G-Sync. There's a lower bound of 30Hz as well, since anything below that and you'll begin to run into issues with flickering. If the frame rate drops below 30 fps, the display will present duplicates of each frame.

If your FPS drops below 30 it reverts to "old school"...won't help to enhance FSX smoothness when landing high end AC at high end airports during bad weather.  Also this tech has yet to be perfected so it'll be weeks before it hits the shelves.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Possible answer to Time Frame from an article I recently read. Unfortunately, looks like means a new monitor. I have not seen anything to suggest will be incorporated in a video card but then that would mean a new video card:

G-Sync technology amping up PC gamingASUS announced yesterday that it will, going forward for its next generation of monitors, be adopting Nvidia G-Sync technology. It's another development hot off the presses to come from Nvidia's The Way It's Meant to Be Played event, which we featured a couple days ago.

G-Sync tech synchronizes the monitor's refresh rate to the GPU's render rate, so you see images as soon as they're rendered. This means a world of sharper images for gamers, less latency and stuttering, and a smoother experience overall. It renders older tech such as V-Sync obsolete, decreasing latency and eliminating tearing.

ASUS will be releasing a G-Sync line of monitors starting in 2014. The VG248QE gaming monitor will be the first of the line, priced at $399 USD in North America.

If you're looking for some new tech to give you an edge when it comes to gaming, you might want to consider this monitor for your next purchase, as it looks to change gaming performance significantly.

Leo

Possible answer to Time Frame from an article I recently read. Unfortunately, looks like means a new monitor. I have not seen anything to suggest will be incorporated in a video card but then that would mean a new video card:

G-Sync technology amping up PC gamingASUS announced yesterday that it will, going forward for its next generation of monitors, be adopting Nvidia G-Sync technology. It's another development hot off the presses to come from Nvidia's The Way It's Meant to Be Played event, which we featured a couple days ago.

G-Sync tech synchronizes the monitor's refresh rate to the GPU's render rate, so you see images as soon as they're rendered. This means a world of sharper images for gamers, less latency and stuttering, and a smoother experience overall. It renders older tech such as V-Sync obsolete, decreasing latency and eliminating tearing.

ASUS will be releasing a G-Sync line of monitors starting in 2014. The VG248QE gaming monitor will be the first of the line, priced at $399 USD in North America.

If you're looking for some new tech to give you an edge when it comes to gaming, you might want to consider this monitor for your next purchase, as it looks to change gaming performance significantly.

It will work with titans, 7 and 6 series gpus. Basically kepler based gpus.

From this link:

If your FPS drops below 30 it reverts to "old school"...won't help to enhance FSX smoothness when landing high end AC at high end airports during bad weather. Also this tech has yet to be perfected so it'll be weeks before it hits the shelves.

But its still such a diffrence in most scenarios. I cant recall my fps hitting below 30 but I do have an extreme setup. But this will still provide such a big step up in most scenarios for people with half decent setups. I know I sound like a ######, just so excited by it.

Not really relevant for FSX as the FPS is usually below 30. Also, the stuttering that happens occurs in the actual 3D engine before the images are sent to the monitor.

Also Triple Buffering with VSync solves the problem IMO. Unfortunately very few games seem to actually use this feature. Skyrim is one example of a game that uses this, resulting in very little stuttering as long as the FPS is above 30 or so.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Not really relevant for FSX as the FPS is usually below 30. Also, the stuttering that happens occurs in the actual 3D engine before the images are sent to the monitor.

Also Triple Buffering with VSync solves the problem IMO. Unfortunately very few games seem to actually use this feature. Skyrim is one example of a game that uses this, resulting in very little stuttering as long as the FPS is above 30 or so.

I beg to differ. If the 3d engine causes the stutters than why is it when I upgraded to my titan sli is it that most of the stuttering in normal situations is gone.

Also I was getting above 30fps normally even on my old 680sli system. And I use demanding add ons, usually rex, pmdg 747, increased lod, orb x england, payware airports.

I agree if you are getting below 30 fps its nt going to help but if you have a cpu n gpu less than 3 to 4 years old you really shouldnt be...

Just my thoughts. Feel free to rubbish them.