Sign in to follow this  
qasim_786

Nvidia Gsync - too good to be true?

I beg to differ. If the 3d engine causes the stutters than why is it when I upgraded to my titan sli is it that most of the stuttering in normal situations is gone.

Also I was getting above 30fps normally even on my old 680sli system. And I use demanding add ons, usually rex, pmdg 747, increased lod, orb x england, payware airports.

I agree if you are getting below 30 fps its nt going to help but if you have a cpu n gpu less than 3 to 4 years old you really shouldnt be...

Just my thoughts. Feel free to rubbish them.

Have to agree. The minimum frame rate I now see is mid 30's. That's with heavy weather and NGX.

The game changer for me has been running at unlimited frame rate. No FSX frame limiting and no external limiting. 30% increase in performance... and luckily I don't get stutters on my system.

I don't use hyper detailed add-on airports though, just REX, GEX and UTX.

I have a 120 Hz monitor, and I find with VSync off, I get zero tearing. Doesn't seem to offer any benefits with it off though, looks the same as with it on.

i7 3770K @ 4.5

EVGA GTX770 superclocked duel BIOS 4 GB.

8 GB DDR3

Screen tearing doesn't really affect me as I have my FPS locked at 30 due to the fact that I don't see any benefit going above it, and the only time I reach 30 fps is during high altitude cruise. Even with a 5.0 GHz Sandy Bridge + GeForce 660 Ti I can still get very low framerates (below 5 fps) with the following combinations: payware aircraft + payware scenery + high LOD_RADIUS + a ton of AI traffic + loads of clouds. Also If you raise the water textures to HD levels (e.g. 2046x2046) your framerates will fall through the floor during high altitude oceanic flight. 

BTW it looks like G-sync won't work with the current planned versions of Oculus Rift, which is unfortunate. I can see a big future with the Oculus Rift and FSX, especially for VFR.

It will fix tearing by the looks of it. The question is, how will they come up with integration solutions? I will not replace my awesome dell u2410 for this asus monitor. I liked the DIY idea a LOT, just not sure how it's going to be implenented. I will lose warranty, but it's probably worth it... I mean going @ 40 fps without tearing should be awesome, no need for frame locking etc'. You realize the benefits?  :O

Somebody mentioned a DIY option, where by you open up your monitor and install the chip.

Not sure about the veracity of that claim, but if correct, there will be many who wouldn't be brave enough to tamper with a monitor.

LCD's do retain lethal voltages for quite some time, even after the power is off.

I'm experienced enough to attempt it, I don't think many are.

Well, you plug it off and let it discharge. I bet that in a while, we'll start seeing modded monitors with this thing.. just need to keep patience. :)

In FSX terms, it seems an amazing enhancement to, but not a substitute for, raw power. If one was hoping it would magically make his 20fps landing in rain and fog at a busy airport look butter smooth, alas, dream on, lad. It doesn't end the quest for higher frame rates, but it does may the payoff even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

In FSX terms, it seems an amazing enhancement to, but not a substitute for, raw power. If one was hoping it would magically make his 20fps landing in rain and fog at a busy airport look butter smooth, alas, dream on, lad. It doesn't end the quest for higher frame rates, but it does may the payoff even better.

That is why I find it so amazing tho. Anything above 30fps and raw power, fps all become irrelevant as it will all be displayed as a smoth buttery display as if it was a t 60 fps anyway.

Somebody mentioned a DIY option, where by you open up your monitor and install the chip.

Not sure about the veracity of that claim, but if correct, there will be many who wouldn't be brave enough to tamper with a monitor.

LCD's do retain lethal voltages for quite some time, even after the power is off.

I'm experienced enough to attempt it, I don't think many are.

To be clear, there is currently only 1 existing monitor which is an led monitor which can be manually changed.

A lot of questions regarding gsync are addressed here on nvidias faq site,

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/faq

And here is a video from the NVidia event with John Carmack, Johan Andersson and Tim Sweeney. If they are endorsing it I am sold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvVnDTrfJ6M

G-Sync doesn't improve FPS, but it eliminates tearing and input lag, and it also syncs the frames perfectly to your monitor when your FPS is below 60 (makes FPS values below 60 appear even smoother). This is a win for all situations.

The thing with fsx users today is that everyone wants to lock down on 30 fps. Because above it you get "tears". Well, with this.. you simply unleash those higher frame rates without the tear, meaning you do get a major improvement in the overall performance of your game.

TBH, even I don't lock 30 fps and the occasional tear doesn't bother me much, but it will be a nice monitor upgrade anyhow.

Greswolf, on 22 Oct 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Possible answer to Time Frame from an article I recently read. Unfortunately, looks like means a new monitor.

Ouch, well I am definitely not interested in another monitor at the moment as I have a really nice fairly new 1920x1200 screen. This will have to translate into huge improvement to consider buying another screen, unless I can sell this one.

And I think as mentioned above this doesn't seem like it can solve the low frame rate problem of increased stuttering as performance is stressed. I know when I my machine has no problem cranking out to the locked 30 fps level I have perfectly smooth video already. Have to wait n see ;o)

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

It would seem this feature would swing the goal back to FPS from Smooth (though the goal is the same) if the statement that below 30 FPS it doesn't provide a benefit is correct. It's typically the high stress situations where stuttering and lag are an issue. As of late, the argument has been don't obsess if you drop below 30 FPS, as long as it appears smooth. However, apparently, to take advantage of this new feature, FPS would need to remain at or above 30 FPS in those high stress situations where many systems struggle - that's the basis for my initial observation that while this seems truly awesome, it's not a panacea; if you want smooth performance, you have to pay for the hardware that can deliver, which is essentially where we are at this point anyway.

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Problem for me is, when it comes to FPS I don't have a problem. Well in general that is. If I am sitting at CYVR (FSDT),at the gate and of course looking right at the terminal, I get some low dips and the mouse pointer problem is more noticeable. Unless a new "Super CPU" appears any time soon, that is not going to change and I accept that.

The problem I have with FSX is that when I am at 30+ FPS, (which is most of the time), after trying everything from soup to nuts, I still do not have a 100% smooth sim and I think it is the nature of the beast "FSX".

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

It would seem this feature would swing the goal back to FPS from Smooth (though the goal is the same) if the statement that below 30 FPS it doesn't provide a benefit is correct. It's typically the high stress situations where stuttering and lag are an issue. As of late, the argument has been don't obsess if you drop below 30 FPS, as long as it appears smooth. However, apparently, to take advantage of this new feature, FPS would need to remain at or above 30 FPS in those high stress situations where many systems struggle - that's the basis for my initial observation that while this seems truly awesome, it's not a panacea; if you want smooth performance, you have to pay for the hardware that can deliver, which is essentially where we are at this point anyway.

That is true, but you are not taking a significant factor into account. For example, I upgraded my gpus to titan sli from a 680 and this was great for my fps in fsx. I can run all the payware I like, which is pmdg, orb x, utx, payware airports and stay between 30 and 60 fps. I could also do this on my old 680 setup all be it at lower frame rates but still above 30fps. So if this tech is truly what they say it is I wasted 2000 bux on 2 cards I really don't need.

I think the bottom line is, as long as you have a system that can push 30fps you are sorted. If you do not, maybe this is the time when you should upgrade your hardware as the benefit is, well, endless.

Problem for me is, when it comes to FPS I don't have a problem. Well in general that is. If I am sitting at CYVR (FSDT),at the gate and of course looking right at the terminal, I get some low dips and the mouse pointer problem is more noticeable. Unless a new "Super CPU" appears any time soon, that is not going to change and I accept that.

The problem I have with FSX is that when I am at 30+ FPS, (which is most of the time), after trying everything from soup to nuts, I still do not have a 100% smooth sim and I think it is the nature of the beast "FSX".

But this is why I am so excited. If I have understood all this correctly then anything above 30fps will be silky smooth as if it was 60fps. So hopefully, the beast will have been tamed.

I am also excited that if/once this technology catches on, fsx companies will start producing add ons that are higher res and include a lot more textures and detail and animations as minimum fps limit will be down to 30.