Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Has anyone here actually tried to run FSX on the current generation Intel Iris integrated GPU?

I'm thinking about buying one of the new Retina MacBook Pros this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone's actually tried running FSX on the Iris integrated GPU that's on the Haswell processors? It only needs to run well enough for me to do PMDG support work while on trips, at school etc - not looking for it to replace my desktop rig or anything. Would like to get away with the 13" model if I can - the 15" one with the GT 750m is over $1000 more.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

do you know if its running the Iris 5100 or the Iris Pro 5200 as the iris 5100 is a renamed intel HD5000 gpu

-Paul-

Initial benchmarks look really good.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/25/intels-iris-graphics-boost-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-gpu-performance-by-50-or-more/

That being said, Apple has a really generous return policy. Being a former Apple Retail employee, I'd tell you to buy it, try it out for the 2 weeks they give you, and if you don't like it just return it, with no restocking fee. 

I've run FSX on my rMBP (albeit, the 15" with the GT650M and it ran reasonably good with the NGX and FSX only (no other add ons). You can also try getting a refurb model from the Apple Online Store, or getting it with the education discount to save a few bucks.

• Upvote 1

I have been checking out the new RMBPs lately myself, mainly for use for school-related stuff (need Final Cut Pro for some classes) and also for a couple of trips coming up. The new ones are really impressive. In the 13.3", if you buy it from apple.com, you can get it customized with the 2.8ghz i7. The Iris integrated graphics is nothing amazing but I have seen a few Youtube videos of people gaming on it and it's really quite impressive considering the tiny form factor, light weight, and amazing battery life. It's probably the most impressive power-to-size device I've ever seen. Oh yeah, like Jorge said above, you can get an education discount from apple.com if that applies for you.

Also check out the MSI GS70, it's a 17" laptop with a very sleek profile and relatively light weight and a Nvidia 765m GPU, but it does have downsides like heat, noise, and no gorgeous retina display...

It's been stated on the tech sites that it's the top end Iris chip.

Ryan, I have the high-end 15" rMBP on order, but my friend just got the base 13" rMBP and I am going to see if he will let me install FSX on it and report back to you on how it runs.

I'm thinking about buying one of the new Retina MacBook Pros this weekend and I'm wondering if anyone's actually tried running FSX on the Iris integrated GPU that's on the Haswell processors? It only needs to run well enough for me to do PMDG support work while on trips, at school etc - not looking for it to replace my desktop rig or anything. Would like to get away with the 13" model if I can - the 15" one with the GT 750m is over $1000 more.

Hey Ryan,

Did you ever end up getting a Retina Macbook and trying this out? I'm considering one and would love to hear results on FSX performance. If you know of any other source you can direct me to, that would be great as well.

Much appreciated, 

Brandon Burkley

Brandon Burkley