Sign in to follow this  
jetsflier

What? Why?

I was flying around today just messing around in the Triple 7. I took off and what appeared to be a small propeller was deployed aft of the landing gear, it was very small and it clearly wasn't a glitch. I was wondering what this was and what exactly it's use is. Seems too small to provide power to such a behemoth. 

That is the RAT (Ram Air Turbine). In the case of power loss (engines going out for example) the foward movement of the aircraft let's the propeller spin on its own to generate electricity for power to basic instruments and systems.

Mark Javornik

I'm tempted to say it's the backup propeller for when the two main engines give out, but I won't...

That is the RAT (Ram Air Turbine). In the case of power loss (engines going out for example) the foward movement of the aircraft let's the propeller spin on its own to generate electricity for power to basic instruments and systems.

It does generate electrical power, but generating hydraulic pressure takes priority.

How can i  disconnect the RAT ?

You don't want to disconnect it, because your life is currently depending on it!   :P

Seriously, it has to be stowed by the engineers when back on the ground. Guess PMDG included a maintenance item for it in the CDU.

Question: Did "messing around" involve failing the engines, hydraulics and the APU? That small two bladed turbine is meant to provide power to the 777 only when both engines have failed and the other redundancies built into the 777 can't supply enough hydraulic and electrical power to keep it from dying. It can also be deployed if "messing around" involved pushing a flipguard covered button labelled RAT that's situated on the overhead panel anterior to the hydraulics buttons.

Overall, I do agree with you. "Messing around" is a fun and time efficient way of learning to handle the complex and intricate systems in PMDG addons. I do it all the time.

Question: Did "messing around" involve failing the engines, hydraulics and the APU? That small two bladed turbine is meant to provide power to the 777 only when both engines have failed and the other redundancies built into the 777 can't supply enough hydraulic and electrical power to keep it from dying. It can also be deployed if "messing around" involved pushing a flipguard covered button labelled RAT that's situated on the overhead panel anterior to the hydraulics buttons.

Overall, I do agree with you. "Messing around" is a fun and time efficient way of learning to handle the complex and intricate systems in PMDG addons. I do it all the time.

I may have took part in the "messing around" explained in your response. Maybe.  :ph34r: