Sign in to follow this  
adi518

Modifying .air files

I'm trying to understand how developers create FDEs and I understand that is made mostly by data in .air files?

Is it possible to pick up an .air file and mod it for your own use? I know it's probably forbidden to spread out a modified .air file for a payware, hence saying it's for personal usage only.

I found this tool "aircraft airfile manager".. should this one be good for modding? I'd think microsoft would supply such gui tool, but I guess they didn't? Does Microsoft supply documentation for creating FDEs?

Thanks.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526961.aspx

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/ESPFlightFiles

You can modify whatever you want. Microsoft has not granted anyone the right to take ownnership of open FSX file formats. They gave us the SDK so everybody could do their own mods.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

AirEd looks nice.. there's also 'aircraft airfile manager' .. it's the same thing with extended features or does it have a different purpose?

Thanks a bunch Simmerhead, that helped. :)

Yep, I saw that, but if you mod an air file, there's no asm to begin with. Also, why does it start off with an asm file? It's easier to build the file that way?

Because that's the way Microsoft chose to do it

Yep, I saw that, but if you mod an air file, there's no asm to begin with. Also, why does it start off with an asm file? It's easier to build the file that way?

It is a bit easier. The air file is a bit more cryptic than the asm file.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hmm I see.. is it possible then to go back from an air file to an asm?

Not that I'm aware of it's not.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Aircraft Airfile Manager is good because at least it has notes on what some of the tables do. As you select a table in AAM in the top right is some text on what the parameter does.

As far as I know what each parameter in the air file does is not publicly documented by MS so you pretty much have to rely on tutorials (there are a number of air file tutorials available) and experience to figure out what does what.

AAM is also nice in that it shows data as graphs (which are a lot easier to visualise than a table of numbers). 

Typically I like to load AAM, load the airfile to be worked on, start FSX and load the plane. Then you can make a mod in AAM, save it, and select Reload Aircraft in FSX (assign this to a key command for easy access) and the new modded airfile will be loaded.

You need to do a LOT of tweaking with airfiles.

www.antsairplanes.com

I've been playing around with tweaking AIR files for some add-on's and I was wondering if it is ok (and legal) to post these on the forum for others to try so I can get feedback on whether my changes are better or worse than the standard AIR file.

M

Hmm I see.. is it possible then to go back from an air file to an asm?

No but AirUpdate.exe will dump an .air as a text file, enable it to be updated, and then allow the .air file to be updated. 

I was wondering if it is ok (and legal) to post these on the forum for others

Most aircraft developers (private and commercial)  include the .air files for their add-ons.