Sign in to follow this  
maf

OOM-confused

Hi everybody

Ive had OOM-issues every now and then (after long flights and so on). Ive read

about it and made my precautions..

Using add-on airports, NGX and AES/GSX, it rarely goes above 2GB memory usage on

short to medium-haul flights..

BUT:

Standing at KEGE with GSX on, I was turning around after a flight from DFW when

the OOM-ding strikes. It happened after I went in and out of the program a couple of times

and it happened at 2,7 GB of memory usage by FSX (I have 8GB on Win7-64)

This got me confused. I thought you only got OOM when FSX was demanding close to 4GB?

Wow this simulator is tricky to understand sometimes..

Anyone willing to shed some light on whats going on?

Much appreciated!

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Have you added HIGHMEMFIX tweak to your fsx.cfg?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

There's an application that can allow FSX to use up to 4GB of memory. By default 32 bit applications are limited to 2GB of virtual memory.

Here's the link: http://www.ntcore.com/files/4gb_patch.zip

Just let it browse to the fsx.exe and that's it. Always remember to backup any files you make changes to.

There's an application that can allow FSX to use up to 4GB of memory. By default 32 bit applications are limited to 2GB of virtual memory.

Here's the link: http://www.ntcore.com/files/4gb_patch.zip

Just let it browse to the fsx.exe and that's it. Always remember to backup any files you make changes to.

That patch isn't needed for FSX SP2/Acceleration as these versions already have the flag set.

Some of these OOM errors aren't strictly about the total address space available, but about the size of the address blocks available. If the minimum size isn't available, you can get the error too.

In dx9 your video memory is mirrored in vas. So if you have a 1 gb vid card, and that video memory is full, that's 1 gb less for everything else. In dx10 and 11 this is not required, which is why dx10 users have less Oom trouble. My 2 gb vid card makes my life miserable in dx9...

By default 32 bit applications are limited to 2GB of virtual memory.

OP has Windows 7, 64 bits so FSX can now see 4GB w/o a patch but absolutely no more.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

What are you using to measure your VAS?

A toilet.. Where I flush down my Fsx dvd from time to time... Wow Ive had my issues with this sim..

Starting to seriously wonder about jumping ship to Prepa3r.. prep3red(?).. Prepared..

So I havent read up on VAS.. But now I shall, and I shall measure it

Have you added HIGHMEMFIX tweak to your fsx.cfg?

Yes. Is it supposed to help on OOMs? All I did was add it to the cfg when I was searching around for

tips and tweaks

OOMs are not about physical RAM but about usage of Virtual Address Space. Get Process Explorer from Microsoft for free to measure VAS.

Thank you for the tip. I shall give it a try

In dx9 your video memory is mirrored in vas. So if you have a 1 gb vid card, and that video memory is full, that's 1 gb less for everything else. In dx10 and 11 this is not required, which is why dx10 users have less Oom trouble. My 2 gb vid card makes my life miserable in dx9...

Okeeeyy.. Now I remember why I did not buy a large gpu.. Had totally forgotten about that issue. I have a 1GB card on DX9. Have not dared touch the DX10 button simply because Ive had so many issues with FSX anyways and I figured DX10 would give me ten more to struggle with..

But is there anything I need to do so I can "safely" start using DX10 mode?

OP has Windows 7, 64 bits so FSX can now see 4GB w/o a patch but absolutely no more.

Best regards,

Jim

4GB of physical memory?

Guys, Im not a computer expert. I truly appreciate the support you give in here!

Thank you so much

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

4GB of physical memory?

You have 4GB's of Virtual Address Space (VAS).

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You have 4GB's of Virtual Address Space (VAS).

Best regards,

Jim

Would switching back and forth between tasks while running FSX in the background provoke an OOM?

Seems like it to me.

Anyways, I now realize that what task manager tells me, does not count for everything.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Would switching back and forth between tasks while running FSX in the background provoke an OOM?

Definitely!  It's like an FSX bug.  The best way to move around is by placing FSX in Windowed Mode then you can accomplish your Windows task then go back to FSX.  Using the Alt-Tab method or going into the Task Manager will only lead to problems (most likely crashes).  I have been able to do it a few times w/o suffering a crash but I was persistent and FSX finally popped up again and I could continue my flight.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

FSX never ceases to amaze me.. Both in what you can still do to that sim and how many bugs it has showing up every now and then. Im shure it makes grown men cry from time to time..

Thank you for clearing it up for me Mr. Young.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Yes. Is it supposed to help on OOMs? All I did was add it to the cfg when I was searching around for

tips and tweaks

I does help, but don't eliminate OOMs, by making FSX take better advantage of the GPU. It was a fix added by ACES in SP2/Acceleration that they forgot to include in the cfg. Without it your FSX will usually crash during long flights.

I did a simple test setting up a flight betwwen Tokyo and London in a vanilla FSX with the default Boeing 747. Without the tweak, FSX crashed every time.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

It was a fix added by ACES in SP2/Acceleration that they forgot to include in the cfg. Without it your FSX will usually crash during long flights.

Are we talking about the HighMemFix=1 fix in the Graphics section of the FSX.cfg?  Your post does not make that clarification but, as far as I know, that was suppose to be added to the fsx.cfg when Acceleration was released. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM