Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

How Can I Improve AA and AF in DX10

I guess I just haven't got the know how to make DX10 look really nice but the performance is amazing.  I am at a loss as how to improve the visuals in the sim.  I would appreciate any feedback that more knowledgeable folks around here have.

I am having issues with AA where I am experiencing some jagged edges on runway markings and the aircraft I fly do not have a smooth look to them, buildings and trees do not have as smooth an appearance as they did in DX9. 

I have set the DX10 Scenery Fixer Anti Aliasing to 16x CSAA.  Below are my NI settings as well as the FSX.CFG attached.  I have added a few of Robains FSX.CFG edits which seem to be working really well as the sim is quote smooth.

I tried Paul J's workaround (circa 2011) where the Terrain.fxh file in the ShadersHLSL Folder was edited:

sampler BaseSampler = sampler_state
{
Texture = (BaseTexture);
AddressU = Clamp;
AddressV = Clamp;
MinFilter = D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC;
MagFilter = D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC;
MipFilter = (State_MipFilter);
MipMapLodBias = -2;};

To: 

sampler BaseSampler = sampler_state
{
Texture = (BaseTexture);
AddressU = Clamp;
AddressV = Clamp;
MinFilter = D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC;
MagFilter = D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC;
MipFilter = (State_MipFilter);
MipMapLodBias = (State_MipMapLodBias);

There wasn't much improvement unfortunately.

NI_DX10_20131023_zpsa5139435.png

Thank you,

Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

Just a very quick look, Rob - I see you have a 780 now - correct - ? If that's the case -

BufferPools=0       // Nothing else here. Only BP=0 with this GPU, that's all. This is a must-be - unless you CPU is running at 5.5-gig and above..... (sic)

Sooo..

I would remove the Stale_Buffer_Threshold entry.

Most certainly remove the TextureMaxLoad=3, entry, (the default is 6) unless you intend to keep "unlimited" for your frames.This is a data flow multiplier, and can go as high as 30, in steps of 3.

The TBM entry is not used by FSX when using "unlimited" frame rate.

If you do decide to go back to an FSX-limited frame rate, then move the TextureMaxLoad to 6 (or remove it altogether, and leave the TBM as it is - at 120.

The TextureMaxLoad being set to 3 along with the tight rein on the 780 may well be your cause, as both act as throttles.

My only other suggestion re frame rate - is for you to limit it within FSX, allowing Inspector to control Vsync with the 1/2 RR and Standard.  

I have no other idea why you have these issues when using a relatively small monitor (resolution-wise). Some of your settings are (to me) a little strange, but you know your system better than I and I know from our past experience with it, that it doesn't respond in the way that other pc's (that I've worked with) do - so I'm kinda loath to suggest removal or change to them.

Hope this helps!

peej

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Just a very quick look, Rob - I see you have a 780 now - correct - ? If that's the case -

Yes the 780 and I am using a 40" LED display now with a setting of 1920x1080x32, maybe that's the problem.

BufferPools=0       // Nothing else here. Only BP=0 with this GPU, that's all. This is a must-be - unless you CPU is running at 5.5-gig and above..... (sic)

I set the frames back to 30, Bufferpools=0 

Sooo..

I would remove the Stale_Buffer_Threshold entry.  Removed

Most certainly remove the TextureMaxLoad=3, entry, (the default is 6) unless you intend to keep "unlimited" for your frames.This is a data flow multiplier, and can go as high as 30, in steps of 3.  You mean 10, 20, 30 then?

The TBM entry is not used by FSX when using "unlimited" frame rate.

If you do decide to go back to an FSX-limited frame rate, then move the TextureMaxLoad to 6 (or remove it altogether, and leave the TBM as it is - at 120.

The TextureMaxLoad being set to 3 along with the tight rein on the 780 may well be your cause, as both act as throttles.  TML and TBM=120 is a tight reign?

My only other suggestion re frame rate - is for you to limit it within FSX, allowing Inspector to control Vsync with the 1/2 RR and Standard.   Done. 

I have no other idea why you have these issues when using a relatively small monitor (resolution-wise). Some of your settings are (to me) a little strange, but you know your system better than I and I know from our past experience with it, that it doesn't respond in the way that other pc's (that I've worked with) do - so I'm kinda loath to suggest removal or change to them.

Hope this helps!

peej

**EDIT**

It seems the Bufferpools=0 setting has improved things.  I'm at FSDT CYVR now and it's looking pretty good.

Hi peej,

Yes the settings are strange, I'm just trying anything at this point to fix the issue.  I updated the BIOS prior to installing the 780 and reconfigured the OC and memory settings, ran Prime95 for a few hours and the OC was stable.

Could other settings be causing the issue?  I have added the following in recent weeks:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14 

[Main]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15

[sCENERY]
ObjectsToBatchPerFrame=50
MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=4

[TERRAIN]
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2

Thanks once again for your help.

Rob
Edited by ACA 4049

\Robert Hamlich/

Just wanted to add peej, I imported Richard Sennett's NI profile while at FSDT's CYVR and the airport textures look much better, hopefully that has addressed the display concerns I was having.

\Robert Hamlich/

Would you post a pic of his settings, Rob? (please).

Thanks!

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Here you go peej, I found a post using the forum search tool (I can imagine people smiling now) in which Richard, Rob and yourself provided a great deal of information related to AA and DX10.

AA With DX10 link.

I set the AA Compatibility to (BioShock, BioShock2) and have Vertical Sync set to Force On.  

One thing I cannot recall is whether I should add ForceFullScreenVSync=1 to the FSX.CFG, I recall that in the FSX Guide the setting should be 1/2 Refresh Rate and under [GRAPHICS] ForceWindowedVSync=1 is added.

As it stands at the moment, FSX is running as if I am watching a live video feed, yes it's that smooth!!  The 780 must be part of the added smoothness.  I am going to go back to some of the airports where I first discovered the lack of AA and see how it looks and then it's off to that "W" thingy for the night... Only 7 years to go!

Rich_Sennetts_Modified_NI_Settings_zpsd8[/url]

Take care,

Rob

\Robert Hamlich/

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14       //   meh..... overblown. In or out, I see nada, Rob.

ForceFullScreenVSync=1  // No - this will cost frames - use the DisablePreLoad=1 and let Inspector do the rest (as you have since done). 

[Main]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.15  // This can go way down - mine is at 0.05 now, with the 780, and you may find yours can do so, too .

[sCENERY]

ObjectsToBatchPerFrame=50     // don't know - it's one of Rob's (robains) adds, I think..

MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=4

[TERRAIN]

SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2    //    Most often 1, 2 or 3., it works with the FFTF as a mechanism aimed at achieving smooth frame rates while not incurring 'the blurries'. May need some movement. I 'think' (3 months ago) I went to 3 because it stopped the occasional small black square flashing - mainly off the right wing, 45 degrees back when at 2500 ft.

Hope this helps, Rob. I take it life is now back to normal?  :lol:

Thanks peej, will give those a try, what about the VSync in FSX.CFG? It is still ForceWindowedVSync=1, correct?

Yep, pretty much back to normal, moving into a 900 Sq/ft. condo can definitely change things, Value Village and Sally Ann must be half filled with our giveaways. I thought I lived a simple life, boy did I have a lot of "stuff" in the house. Best thing about this place is that I can do some plane spotting from our balcony, can't wait to sit out there next summer with a pair of binos. I just hope the people in the other buildings understand what I am doing... we'll see.

**EDIT**

I'm experiencing blurry textures now that I've changed those few settings. I will have a look at them one by one tomorrow and see that the issue is. FSX keeps reminding me that not all setups work for everyone, what a beast huh?

Edited by ACA 4049

\Robert Hamlich/

Blurry will likely be the FFTF, Rob. 05 is a bit extreme, but I can't get the ol' BirdDog to fly low and fast, so it never blurs..

Yep, I like to fly the tube-liners most of the time.  I love sight seeing but it's from 3000K that I like to see the terrain below.  I wish I had your patience otherwise I would only be flying PNW like you and most likely would have saved many many $$'s.

Going to loosen the FFTF settings and see how things are.  

\Robert Hamlich/