Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

Is PFPX too much for a slightly more than casual simmer? What else would I use?

I've been learning to use SIDS/STARS/approaches because i've been flying FS since FS98 without them and want to take things to the next level with my paid aircraft.  The FSX flightplanner is of course useless now especially since updating intersection fixes because now half the time it tells me it can't actually find a route anymore with high altitude airways.  So I've been "limping by" using a combination of simroutes and routfinder for international stuff or flightwaware when possible with simroutes for creating my flightplans.  

I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about PFPX though but I'm concerned it's overkill for someone who doesn't have "pro level" knowledge of flying procedures.  I downloaded their "sample brief" from the website which was 26 pages of stuff that mostly looked like gibberish to me.  Maybe I'm looking at the wrong solution?  

Basically I need something that can export to Qualitywings & PMDG and preferably to FSX as well just for some attempt at using FSX ATC or one of the GA planes that doesn't have an FMC but does have GPS.  It needs to have SID/STAR support too though which I've read PFPX does use them in generating routes and recommends which ones you use.  

I was hoping to find something that also had those charts built in visually as well but I seem to be able to find most online with a little digging for more obscure areas of the world.  I probably should know all this different stuff now (like what's in that briefing) but I kinda jumped away from FS for about 6 years after FSX came out due to other games and not good enough hardware to run FSX how I wanted.  I guess it's never too late to learn though lol.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

PFPX is a great tool and something you should consider growing into.  However, based on what you've mentioned, you might try FlightSim Commander.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

How about SimBrief? It's free, you only need to sign up and that's it.

http://www.simbrief.com/home/index.php

I'll have to check that out.  A quick check of the user guide sounds like it can export to FSX's flightplan format but not PMDG or other payware though?

PFPX is a great tool and something you should consider growing into.  However, based on what you've mentioned, you might try FlightSim Commander.

Thanks, I'll check out fs commander.  I have no problem growing into PFPX, I suspect it's no different than growing into something like the NGX.  I think my main concern is only using a small bit of it and essentially "throwing away money" on stuff I might never use/understand.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I'll have to check that out.  A quick check of the user guide sounds like it can export to FSX's flightplan format but not PMDG or other payware though?

I love simbrief.com, and yes, it exports to the PMDG FMC, both the flightplan AND weather.

As they say in the README at <FSX>/PMDG/WX/:

7. Press WIND DATA REQUEST at LSK 6R on the WIND page in the airplane and it will automatically load these values into the FMC. Note that it is best if your cruise altitude is already entered on the PERF INIT page before you do this as it helps the algorithm narrow down the correct altitudes to use.

You cant import sid/star into the pmdg 737 FMC and your going to need a descent ATC if your going to fly sid/stars anyway.

Sounds like you will be simming for the rest of your life so you may as well set your self up if you can afford it.

1, pfpx or Vroute premium ($25-50))

2. EFB around ($70)

3.Vox atx or similar (around $100 with Ivona voices)

I love simbrief.com, and yes, it exports to the PMDG FMC, both the flightplan AND weather.

As they say in the README at <FSX>/PMDG/WX/:

7. Press WIND DATA REQUEST at LSK 6R on the WIND page in the airplane and it will automatically load these values into the FMC. Note that it is best if your cruise altitude is already entered on the PERF INIT page before you do this as it helps the algorithm narrow down the correct altitudes to use.

Where is the export button for pmdg?

ZORAN

Well, simbrief seems really good for being free.  I can see similarities in the output between it and pfpx's sample, but I think I definitely need to go with something like FSC or pfpx since they will suggest stars/sids and generate the route for you.  Simbrief seemed like routefinder + extra planning where I still need to know the route to plug in.  One of the reasons for looking for a planner is so I don't have to sort through a bunch of star and sid charts every time I fly to figure out which one I should be using.  

The routes I take are usually already in there (fill in both airports and a route pops up), and if it isn't, click on any of the four links at the bottom to give you routes people already used.

That said, a lot of people use PFPX and seem to like it. You know what they say: 1B Simmers can't be wrong. :)

Absolutely agree. Try FS Commander. Not so complex but a really great planner.

The routes I take are usually already in there (fill in both airports and a route pops up), and if it isn't, click on any of the four links at the bottom to give you routes people already used.

That said, a lot of people use PFPX and seem to like it. You know what they say: 1B Simmers can't be wrong. :)

Yeah, most of the time it will probably work pretty well by using routes from those various sites, especially since the US ones are good about listing the SID/STAR on their route.  It's pretty tough right now though for the world tour I'm on.  The next couple legs through Japan won't be bad to find stuff for, but once I start heading north I suspect it's gonna get tough again for a few legs.

It's pretty tough right now though for the world tour I'm on.

Cool idea. I might steal that from ya! But, isn't half the fun figuring out how to get there? Looks like you're in a descent aircraft since you're doing SID/STARS, so if there's a controller on-line he can correct your clearance. The nasty part is all those different transition altitudes.

Cool idea. I might steal that from ya! But, isn't half the fun figuring out how to get there? Looks like you're in a descent aircraft since you're doing SID/STARS, so if there's a controller on-line he can correct your clearance. The nasty part is all those different transition altitudes.

LOL I'm doing the tour offline.  I have yet to do a vatsim flight, but will soon.  I'll definitely be starting in the US though before trying to learn all the different altitude transitions and restrictions in place like Europe.  I figure my tour is as good a place as any to start learning how to use them though.  I end up correcting some speed stuff once in a while that's not programmed right but most of the time I seem to end up on final without being too fast and no silly vectoring or flying for 20 miles at the same altitude while on approach like ends up happening with FSX ATC.  

I've found I can usually just cancel the flightplan with FSX ATC after I use them to get off the ground and to cruising altitude since they don't like me descending on my own and then ask the airport for landing clearance when I'm in range.  If the airport is IFR and has RNAV approaches available in the ATC window I've figured out I can pretty much ask for one of those and FSX stops bugging me about altitudes and headings after that.

If you're talking about the in-game ATC, I have no interest in that.

With regards to an online flight like VATSIM, just put first timer in the remarks and go for it. I know that's not the way to do it, and I'll probably ###### off every controller out there, but I think, as in real life, a lot of people are very anxious about their first communications. Go in there, fail horribly for all I care, but now you have the experience of what it's like and have a great idea of what you can expect. Experience counts so much more than just reading.

Should you really be anxious, we could see if I could Skype you through it if you're not comfortable. Not sure how and if that would work, communicating via different means on the same computer. Or, I could fake a controller if that lifts the pressure. That offer is open to anyone, btw.

Even if you want simplicity PFPX is great, I can plan a typical transatlantic hop in about 10 minutes or less.