Sign in to follow this  
tripecac

AMD 13.9 - DirectX 10 seems fine

I recently installed the Catalyst 13.9 drivers.  As with everyone else, I get a crash to desktop when trying to start Free Flight mode using DirectX 9.

Instead of rolling back to 13.4, I simply enabled DirectX 10 Preview.  Now, FSX loads, and I can fly around as before.  Using menus doesn't break it, at least so far.

DirectX 10 might not be as efficient as DirectX 9, but it's a lot easier than rolling back to 13.4, and doesn't put other games (or the computer in general) at risk.

So I am curious: why are people recommending a rollback to 13.4?  Why not simply switch to DirectX 10, at least until we get a Catalyst version that works?

Are some people having problems with 13.9's DirectX 10 as well?  Or is DirectX 10 *dramatically* slower than DirectX 9 on some machines?

So I am curious: why are people recommending a rollback to 13.4? Why not simply switch to DirectX 10, at least until we get a Catalyst version that works?

If you look in the DX10 Forum and at this post - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/422802-serious-issue-with-ati-and-steves-dx10-fix-tears-and-spikes-everywhere/ you will see people are having problems.  Believe you'll find other posts in the CTD Forum too.  In the DX10 Forum, this issue with the latest ATI drivers was first found.  Of course it could have been an installation problem by those who had the issue and reverted back to the earlier versions of the ATI Driver.  Sometimes uninstalling/reinstalling drivers will fix a lot of issues and that's what had to be done when they reverted back to the older drivers.

DX10 will be dramatically slower on some machines if the user moves his sliders all the way to the right and/or uses tweaks and/or sets display settings to the max and makes it more difficult to render a texture or object.

Glad to hear the latest drivers are working for some.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ah, ok, thanks.  I guess I either didn't test long enough, or didn't set the sliders high enough to encounter the problems other people are having with 13.9 and DirectX 10.

Have people confirmed that the betas for 13.10 and 13.11 also have the same problems as 13.9?

Also, would copying the 13.4 atiumdag.dll to the FSX directory fix the problem, even if 13.9 or later is still installed?

(In other words, are there any solutions less drastic than rolling back to 13.4?)