Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

10 years since Concorde was grounded

You must have missed the point that many people bought their houses before Concorde and before the present noise levels..

Do they just have to put up with it?

I dont know many people who have lived in the same house for over 40 years. I understand that they may not like it but chances are the airport was there at that time aswell and they should have taken it into consideration. I put up with train noise at my apartment(tracks are right behind my apartment) but it doesn't bother me as I knew the tracks where there when I moved in.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I think it's possible to separate the technical execution of this aircraft (which is nothing short of genius) from the business execution (which admittedly fell somewhat short).

I wonder if or when we'll see a more cost-effective and environment-friendly return of commercial super-sonic transportation.

Two years ago, I was in lucky enough to be in the UK and visited the Fleet Air Arm Museum at RNAS Yeovilton. There they have the second prototype concorde hangared amongst other prototype aircraft, some of which never reached the production stage.

IIRC you can't actually get into the cockpit, but you can see it through a glass screen. The interior is decked out with the test equipment and a part of the cabin has been fitted out in a first class style.

The entire museum is a definate must see if you are in the UK and interested in aviation.

With friends like you aviation doesn't need any enemies.

Anyway, many people were living near airports before long Concorde was introduced, and before air traffic reached its present levels.

Do you have to be so condescending in all of your posts? Your attitude disgusts me and I'm surprised you haven't been warned about it. It isn't what you are saying (your points are generally valid) it's just how you always say it. You come across as one of those "I know better than you in everything" types and it's really annoying.

Anyhow all arguments aside there is no doubt that the Concorde truly was an icon whatever the costs of the project might have been. I seem to remember that the Air France Concorde crash was the beginning of the end but I'm not sure if it was this single incident alone or just the final nail in the coffin that sealed Concorde's fate.

(...) I seem to remember that the Air France Concorde crash was the beginning of the end but I'm not sure if it was this single incident alone or just the final nail in the coffin that sealed Concorde's fate.

Tragic and painful as it was it was the best opportunity to put the Concorde to rest, and to get rid of an economical (and political!) burden.

And, again, I'm really happy and grateful we have all those planes in our flight simulators and we can do all the things we want to do in them:

No risk, little cost, little pollution ... and no noise (except for the neighbours when cranking up those subwoofers!!! :P)

To hell with them they shouldn't have bought homes near the airport if they are gonna cry about noise. We have a guy in my home town who lives next to the airport and complianed about the noise from small prop planes. Everytime I fly I buzz(within legal limits) his house just to ###### him off.

People who live next to airports have no right to complain but I live almost 7 miles from ORD deep in the city and every other night I still have 747's shaking my windows, it wasn't a problem a few years ago but now its more common with the new east/west runways. I guess if you are looking for cheap property then buy near an airport and as for Concorde she had a problem that even high altitudes cannot solve: the sonic boom and that's why she was mainly regulated to cruise over oceans or unpopulated areas. 

Do you have to be so condescending in all of your posts? Your attitude disgusts me and I'm surprised you haven't been warned about it. It isn't what you are saying (your points are generally valid) it's just how you always say it. You come across as one of those "I know better than you in everything" types and it's really annoying.

Anyhow all arguments aside there is no doubt that the Concorde truly was an icon whatever the costs of the project might have been. I seem to remember that the Air France Concorde crash was the beginning of the end but I'm not sure if it was this single incident alone or just the final nail in the coffin that sealed Concorde's fate.

Poanicky don't take this the wrong way but I've given you some rep on this post simply because you've managed to lever the word disgust/disgusting/disgusted into almost every post you've made. Which is pretty awesome, and you deserve recognition for that alone  :P

Poanicky don't take this the wrong way but I've given you some rep on this post simply because you've managed to lever the word disgust/disgusting/disgusted into almost every post you've made. Which is pretty awesome, and you deserve recognition for that alone  :P

I think that's what he is going for and with only 11 posts he is already stirring the pot.

Politics, economics, economics, politics, engineering, politics, economics, blah... blah... blah... zzzzz. Some people are absurdly obtuse.

I think few would deny Concorde was a beautiful plane and any number of people who could not be called rich aspired to fly on it. Happily for those of us who feel the need to speak for those of us who never got the chance, the great leveller struck.

I understand that the cost of making it airworthy (armoured fuel system et c.) is prohibitive though I haven't tried even a back-of-a-fag-packet costing. Concorde's mother is still flying though.

During my uni days I had a year out to work near Aberystwyth, living at the time in a caravan down the bottom of the landlord's garden. A few miles down the valley is a big quarry, which, I supposed, regularly fired charges in the late afternoon - a distant rolling thud.  I was surprised to learn from said landlord that the noise was no quarry blasting but that of Concorde slowing down after crossing the Atlantic west to east, presumably somewhere off the south Welsh coast.

Regards,

D

(edit: I just tried the link above lol... lol...lol...)

During my uni days I had a year out to work near Aberystwyth, living at the time in a caravan down the bottom of the landlord's garden. A few miles down the valley is a big quarry, which, I supposed, regularly fired charges in the late afternoon - a distant rolling thud. I was surprised to learn from said landlord that the noise was no quarry blasting but that of Concorde slowing down after crossing the Atlantic west to east, presumably somewhere off the south Welsh coast.

Dave, I doubt that boom was from Concorde. Its SN track took it to 49° 41'N 15°W and went subsonic 30 miles before crossing the North Devon coast. It's more likely the booms were down to military jets. Nice story to tell your tenants though! :biggrin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I doubt that boom was from Concorde... Nice story to tell your tenants though! :biggrin:

Another cherished favourite gone.

B)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

That's a nice model. But, shouldn't it have reheat on take-off? (Now that would be some model!!)

If you look closer, on the downwind leg, it actually goes supersonic. -_-

What? Just a cup of tea. Why? :O