Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Goodbye FSX - P3D from now on

I still use FSX only as an installer for some planes, but my purchases today are run by P3D, I started to buy only products that work (install) in P3D.
I believe that with version 2.0, will retire FSX

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

Until I can fly with my PMDG add on's ill be stuck with FSX.

For me it is other way around. Will skip any PMDG until they are allowed in P3D.

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Sorry, but higher FPS in P3D is not true. It's been proven in several articles and videos.

It's the same EPS engine with some patching to meet current OS requirements (eg, Aero). Also, since P3D came to market, it doesn't have the dx10 mode so you're stuck with dx9 and missing out dx10 on fsx, which does improve performance for a lot of people and it's proven.

However, we have to wait and see what p3d 2.0 brings. Then, we can assess the situation again and decide whether to keep fsx or move on.

For me it is other way around. Will skip any PMDG until they are allowed in P3D.

Harry

Is it PMDG who said NO to LM or LM who said NO to PMDG?

FaxCap

Is it PMDG who said NO to LM or LM who said NO to PMDG?

I watched a live-stream of a presentation from PMDG on an event this year. PMDG said no to P3D, and has to do with licensing. One is that PMDG has built plane models under license from Boeing, who doesn't allow PMDG to commercialize their Boeing models in P3D. (I think is because PD3 did not buy rights from MSFT for entertaining use, and maybe (who knows) because LM is a competitor of Boeing).

But I also read from PMDG on an interview that they would like to grow their business to sell products suitable to real pilot training, and that is the core business of P3D .....

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

P3D V2 and it's updates are the future, looking forward to it's release

P3D V2 and it's updates are the future, looking forward to it's release

Subject to the survival of MS Windows and the commitment of LM to that platform

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

I llike most of you, slowly but surely, moving for good towards p3d. I already have on my fsx plate md11, 747,from pmdg that won't make the move, and I have Ifly737 that has a p3d version, but wants another $70 to make the change. So far wilco has been flawless with there Airbus versions. Aerosoft with their extended 320/321 perfect. Just loaded today via migrator cls md 81/88 versions and spot on. So here is my thinking, I refuse to stay with a platform that is like a boat that I constantly have to keep attending to and anything I put on it I have to be ready to make lots of adjustments or the boat sinks. I just can't get into xplane although it's second to p3d if it should fold. I keep waiting for something to come out of another country but so far no luck. So p3d it is for me. Just spent about $100 this weekend on specific p3d add ons.

I assume the OP is referring to v1.4.At this point, that is all there is! Note the "V1.4"

"Fluid motion - High FPS - No OOM - No CTD"

Nothing in the thread states P3D V2 is going to reduce OOM's.   V2 is not 64 bit.  Hopefully a future release will be.  That is the key. 

Goodbye FSX - P3D from now on

I made a similar effort a week ago, and lasted 2 days.   At the end of the day there was no compelling reason to stay with P3D over FSX, and the move involved losses and sacrifices not gains.

But saying that, we're all different, with differing preferences, so good luck.

Sorry, but higher FPS in P3D is not true. It's been proven in several articles and videos.

Also, since P3D came to market, it doesn't have the dx10 mode so you're stuck with dx9 and missing out dx10 on fsx, which does improve performance for a lot of people and it's proven.

I'm not sure if DX11 with P3D 2.0 will be a magic bullet that will solve all the issues. Might provide more performance over FSX's DX10, but I don't think it'll be a night and day difference.

We have to wait and see. Remember that XP is also not exactly fps friendly and that's 64-bit and what not.. although, it's using opengl... I think dx11 is a better platform, considering 99% of the market is using that for gaming applications. See it's a hit and miss. XP is 64-bit which is what everyone want for fsx/p3d, yet it's using an inferior shader platform. LM has to get rid of all the legacy code, do it properly 64-bit. My assessment is within 2 years, they'll release a 64-bit version. If earlier, the better. The sooner the sim becomes more gpu dependent, the sooner we will observe larger improvements in performance. Then, that Titan or gtx 680 or 780 you just bought, will show it's real power.. let's not forget SLI support. Some folks have SLI arrays that can bring a massive performance increase.

I would switch in an instant if I could have my PMDG :) I'm sure theres many other add ons that are great as well, so I'll still be switching probably. . I believe the Airbus X is for Prepar3d as well? If so, it'll definitely consider it more, as I was planning on purchasing it soon. I'm going to give it a few weeks after the release of version 2 to see how everything plays out. 

Until I can fly with my PMDG add on's ill be stuck with FSX.

I tell you what it's very hard to get OUT of the PMDG T7.  Not having this bird will be for me a mega disappointment.  I have enough room on my SSD to have both but I would love to lose FSX for P3D but as you say w/o PMDG it's really a harder sell. 

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X