I just did a PCMark8 benchmark of my desktop computer. I recently built it and got some nice results and thought I would share them here.  Gives one an idea what a system like mine will do, not with FSX, but in the general browsing and gaming worlds.  I was actually expecting results closer to 60% of all worldwide benchmarks and the 97% was a pleasant surprise.

Best regards,

Jim

YKFZ.jpg

PEM3h.jpg

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim is there a free version of that software?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Jim is there a free version of that software?

Yes, that's what I used.  Just Google PCMark8.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just ran it myself...

Better than 90% of all results. 3 frames less than Jim for gaming.

Score 5323 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770(1x) and Intel Core i7-3770K Processor

Run duration 2001 s
Photo Editing 2.5 s
Casual Gaming 123 fps
Video Chat encoding 33 ms
Web Browsing - JunglePin 0.29975 s
Video Chat playback 1 30 fps
Web Browsing - Amazonia 0.1238 s
Writing 4.8 s

No offense intended, but for systems as recent as these, I think PCMark is not really a useful benchmark to check performance. Anyone with a cursory knowledge of hardware will know that an 3770K/4770K will do fine for everyday tasks such as browsing, video chat, photo editing and more. I just ran it on my i5 4670K (OC'd) and R9 290X and it's apparently faster than 98% of the other systems (5707). Yet the actual difference in numbers between my results and yours will make no difference whatsoever in user experience.

I prefer 3DMark for these higher end systems, as it will usually show more significant differences if you want to compare raw power in setups.

l knew someone would be critical of my benchmark score.  But, when you build a new computer system and run one of these fancy-dancy benchmark programs and it says your system is 97% better than others, you gotta brag a little.  I know that my system is definitely not better than 97% of others and, if I would run the PCMark8 program again (and I won't as it takes a long time to benchmark) my score would probably say I'm only 65% better than others.  I just happened to run the benchmark soon after the program was released and I didn't have too many competitors.  I just wish I would have been the first one to benchmark and the result would have been 100% better than others.  I hope this is a lesson to others.  Do not post your awesome benchmarks here!  They are likely a false or misleading.

Does my system run FSX?   Most of the time it runs great but, like today on a flight in my new PMDG 777 from KSFO to KSEA, over MSE V2 States and Orbx PNW scenery, in AS2012 nasty weather, with no tweaks except for LOD_Radius set at 6.5 and Texture_Max_Load set at 2048, it froze up on me about 50 miles from Seattle, with the FSUIPC utility warning dings constantly telling me I'm running low on memory.  I disabled most of my addon scenery too and only enabled the scenery my flightplan covered.  I'm positive I could have completed the flight without the real weather program running.  Just too many toys running at the same time.  Man has to know his [computers] limitations....

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM