Sign in to follow this  
cvearl

New Card released! AMD R9 290X. Good news for fans of both companies!

Jasper. ATI cards., always seem to perform very well,( I have tested at least 8 or 9 models for years) in FS, but the question is: clouds. Let the plane fly into clouds for a while and look the fps.

Maybe this time ATi has done it....

Let me know it, please.

Best.

Miquel.

I haven't even used it with FS yet. However, with my previous HD7950 I personally had no issues with clouds, so I don't expect this one to have any.

ATI cards., always seem to perform very well,( I have tested at least 8 or 9 models for years) in FS, but the question is: clouds. Let the plane fly into clouds for a while and look the fps.

I'm still running a 6970, and with the Shader 3.0 mod, I have absolutely zero performance problems with clouds.  Of course, out of the box there would be FPS issues, but it's not like one doesn't mod / tweak FSX for optimal performance anyhow.

I'm glad for the active & healthy AMD / nVidia competition; it only means good things for us as the consumer.  Gives both companies a reason to price their products reasonably as well as to continue to innovate.  I've bounced back and forth between the two manufacturers for a lot of years, never really had issues with either.  I bought my 6970 when it was top of the line, and it's been a great card.

I'll be upgrading when P3D 2.0 hits, it'll be interesting to see what's 'best' in performance vs. value when that happens.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Jasper. ATI cards., always seem to perform very well,( I have tested at least 8 or 9 models for years) in FS, but the question is: clouds. Let the plane fly into clouds for a while and look the fps.

Maybe this time ATi has done it....

Let me know it, please.

Best.

Miquel.

I haven't even used it with FS yet. However, with my previous HD7950 I personally had no issues with clouds, so I don't expect this one to have any.

My 7950 had no more issues than my 660Ti with clouds and my 7970 is definitely better so I guess that issue is roughly the same as an equivalent GTX. I tested my 7970 with Kostas cloud AA test at same settings and matched his GTX680 results.

I do find 8xS with 2xSGSS a touch sharper than 4xxSSAA through.

C. 

One word that tilts the balance heavily in favour of the green side.....gsync.

Remains to be seen I guess. AMD is bringing Mantle so.... Lets see how that effects BF4 in December. And I don't relish rebuying monitors. I am betting owners of 40" LED screens or 30" Dell Ultrasharps are not going to rush our and replace them for gsync. So we will see.

Also now that AMD is the primary console chip for Xbox and Playstation 4, they will be working even closer with developers and the Mantle system.

Mantle is also wait and see. http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/amd-mantle-a-low-level-api-with-high-level-potential-1190692

Great booth companies continue to innovate. We all benefit. 

Charles.

I've had the R9 290X in my system since yesterday. It's a beast of a card. I don't really understand the complaints about the reference cooler. It's not as quiet as 3rd party solutions, but it gets the job done and is not really audible above ingame sound (speakers and/or headset). I've heard louder coolers, that's for sure. But everyone has a different opinion about noise levels.

I run a 2560x1080 ultrawide monitor, and the 290X just blasts through anything I throw at it. I've triend BF3 @ Ultra + 8x MSAA, Crysis 3 @ Very High + 4x AA, Metro LL @ highest settings + 4x AA.... the list goes on. Haven't found a way to make it stutter at my resolution yet, which is why I bought it.

I used to pick something slightly below high-end, like the HD3850 and HD4850. Then Crossfire when one card couldn't cut it anymore. But this time I had the money to splurge, so I just went for it. No regrets either.

I'm jealous!

I've had the R9 290X in my system since yesterday. It's a beast of a card. I don't really understand the complaints about the reference cooler. It's not as quiet as 3rd party solutions, but it gets the job done and is not really audible above ingame sound (speakers and/or headset). I've heard louder coolers, that's for sure. But everyone has a different opinion about noise levels.

I run a 2560x1080 ultrawide monitor, and the 290X just blasts through anything I throw at it. I've triend BF3 @ Ultra + 8x MSAA, Crysis 3 @ Very High + 4x AA, Metro LL @ highest settings + 4x AA.... the list goes on. Haven't found a way to make it stutter at my resolution yet, which is why I bought it.

I used to pick something slightly below high-end, like the HD3850 and HD4850. Then Crossfire when one card couldn't cut it anymore. But this time I had the money to splurge, so I just went for it. No regrets either.

Would you be able to put up a bit of a mini review on this card? I would be very interested in seeing how it does with 8xSSAA in FSX. especially in quiet mode and what sort of volume is the fan when you're in quiet mode in FSX?

C.

Regular GTX 780 to drop in price by $150

Pretty much what I said would happen. So I guess there's a whole pile of people scrambling to find receipts right now to see if they can get price protection on the card they bought just recently because these price drops are heading across the whole 700 series. expect to see the 770 real close to $300.

Can't wait to see what AMD is going to do with the standard 290 for pricing shaking things up even more in a few weeks. the 290 should be approximately the same performance as a GTX 780.

The 780 ti will be coming out in a couple weeks a little bit faster than the R9 290x.

C.

Would you be able to put up a bit of a mini review on this card? I would be very interested in seeing how it does with 8xSSAA in FSX. especially in quiet mode and what sort of volume is the fan when you're in quiet mode in FSX?

C.

Not really, sorry. My taste for FSX is in a low period, so I'm not really interested in going through some testing there. Plus, BF4 is due out and much more interesting for me personally :P. I'll have a couple of days to enjoy that and then it's off to work for a couple of weeks again, away from my gaming rig.

if you're a gamer or a simmer.....STAY AWAY FROM ATI/AMD cards.

What a vague, irrelevant post.

If any of you are wanting to get your hands on one of these, I suggest you wait a couple of weeks until Black Friday. You never know if sites like Amazon, Newegg, or WalMart will have crazy deals or not.

I only have FSX on my system with 3 x 1920x1080 Dell 23" monitors and I'm ready to switch from ATI to nVidia, so bring on the bargains!!!

Pretty much what I said would happen.

C.

Not exactly what you said would happen. You said GTX 780 Ti would be $600. Nope, $700! I wish you were right : (

But you were close on the GTX 780 price drop : )

EVGA 780, here I come!

B.

I only have FSX on my system with 3 x 1920x1080 Dell 23" monitors and I'm ready to switch from ATI to nVidia, so bring on the bargains!!!

You have been running 3 screens on a sub $200 video card? How did that do for you? Any card is going to be a huge upgrade! You're going to love it.

Charles.

Not exactly what you said would happen. You said GTX 780 Ti would be $600. Nope, $700! I wish you were right : (

But you were close on the GTX 780 price drop : )

EVGA 780, here I come!

B.

I meant on the 780. But wait till November. I could still be wrong. I have already seen GTX780 for $519 now at more than one place. Is the 780Ti going to be $200 faster? Hmmm....

I think you will see the R9 290 at $499 in a week or so and it will be basically bang on the same speed as current GTX780's forcing both companies to drop below $500 for those cards. So I still believe the 780Ti will settle in below $700 for sure. Maybe $629 before Christmas. 

The sweetspot cards will be the GTX780 and R9 290 at $449 - $499 by December. That's what I am waiting for. 

C.