Sign in to follow this  
vololiberista

Knowledge question

We are all used to seeing winglets on just about every aeroplane nowadays.

But what was the first aircraft to have them?

Clue: During development the winglets were discarded as not beneficial to the design and therefore never actually appeared on the prototype and subsequent production aircraft.

The Rutan VariEze was done in '75

But most people will probably think the MD-11, due to the number of them that were out in '90.

The Rutan VariEze was done in '75

But most people will probably think the MD-11, due to the number of them that were out in '90.

Sorry wrong on both counts. You'll have to go back to the 50's!

Wow....

I will have to dig deeper then...lol.

I couldn't find much on actual planes that were used with these......

Back to google I go!

1st commercial, business, miltary production aircraft? The very first were experimental.

Clue: During development the winglets were discarded as not beneficial to the design and therefore never actually appeared on the prototype and subsequent production aircraft.

1st commercial, business, miltary production aircraft? The very first were experimental.

That's contradictory? If nether the prototype or subsequent production aircraft had them it couldn't have been the first aircraft to have them!

That's contradictory? If nether the prototype or subsequent production aircraft had them it couldn't have been the first aircraft to have them!

They were planned but discarded due to the final shape of the wing.

Wait, vololiberista posts a plane related question, so the answer receives a 99.999999999999999999999999999% chance of being 'VC10'. And that's with not even looking at the question's wording. :O ^_^ :P

Wait, vololiberista posts a plane related question, so the answer receives a 99.999999999999999999999999999% chance of being 'VC10'. And that's with not even looking at the question's wording. :O ^_^ :P

:( Not it wasn't the VC10 though the cancelled V1000 did have a very similar wing shape to the aircraft in question.

But I was close. ^_^ Just making fun of the fact that you are the biggest VC10 fan around, which isn't a bad thing by the way.

See, while looking into some wing tip designs, I even ran into the jumbo concept with a VC10 basis. Scroll all the way down to see a :O picture. http://www.airvectors.net/avvc10.html

There were concepts for "jumbo jets" based on the Super VC10, one with two fuselages and a total passenger capacity of 300 seats, and one with three fuselages and a total passenger capacity of 450 seats.

They were planned but discarded due to the final shape of the wing.

Then you should have asked which was the first aircraft planned to have them.

Anyway, as Fred Lanchester patented the idea in 1897 so who knows which really was the first aircraft that planned to use them?

Then you should have asked which was the first aircraft planned to have them.

Anyway, as Fred Lanchester patented the idea in 1897 so who knows which really was the first aircraft that planned to use them?

If you knew the a/c of which I am referring you would know why they weere not incorporated.

I love topics like this....why people get soooooo hung up about things that are factual defeats me.  Take a close look at Leonardo's designs, there is definitely a hint of wing tip