Sign in to follow this  
GCBraun

Celebration of a Hobby

Hello guys,

Even tough I´ve been and active AVSIM user for years, I never made any significant contribution on this forum. I don´t know why, but I just felt the need to express this, and since I don´t know anyone in real life that appreciates flight simulation, I´ll just post this here. Pardon me for any grammatical errors, but English is not my native language.

I´ve been into flight simulation for over two decades now. Aviation is one of the biggest passions of my life, but in one of those ironies of life, I actually ended up in law school, and now I work mostly with taxation on a federal and state level in Brazil. Last year I went to flight school, but realized that it´s almost impossible at age 31 to start from scratch and become a major airliner pilot. General aviation is fine, but it´s the airline world that I´m fascinated about. I´m one of those freaks that get´s excited just by going to an airport.

Anyways, I got married  and the first thing my wife said when she moved in was: the simulator need´s to go. I had a pretty decent setup in the main room of the house, with 3 big Monitors, a yoke, throttle, rudder pedals, and all these unsexy stuff that make our hobby more enjoyable and realistic. As a new phase in my life began, with a pain in my heart, I agreed to dismount everything and carefully stored all the equipment in my closet.

More recently, though, as I have started to travel a lot more in my work, after finally realizing I will never be a major airline pilot, I just got this feeling that I needed to have at least some hours a month of my little drug called Flight Simulator. Perhaps I wont even be able to do it on some occasions due to work, but I need to have that setup ready and available for me. I know it´s old, clunky, unstable and expensive if you are serious about it, but that´s probably the closest I´ll get to understanding and operating some of the complex systems of a modern passengers jet. When I heard that PMDG had released it´s 777, I said, that´s it. I need to get back to this business.

I had a conversation with my wife and she kindly agreed to let me use the back room of the apartment as the Nerd´s Room as we both call it now. I don´t know how many more years our hobby will survive as a viable industry for developers, but the satisfaction I´m having flying with the latest addons and sceneries from PMDG, Aerosoft, brazilian developer Paulo Ricardo, FSDreamTeam, Flytampa and like are nothing I have ever experienced. 

Then I realized the obvious: it´s up to us to keep supporting those companies and together, as a community, we will figure out how the future of flight simulation will be. In any case, I´m making sure I backup all my addons for future use, because, in the worst case scenario, at least I will continue to be able to experience a little bit of the thrill that is to be in a jetliner cockpit.

My thanks to all the community and to the developers for the great times I´m having on the simulator! I made this other post with some screenshots from the past days. 

Cheers!

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Hello guys,

Even tough I´ve been and active AVSIM user for years, I never made any significant contribution on this forum. I don´t know why, but I just felt the need to express this, and since I don´t know anyone in real life that appreciates flight simulation, I´ll just post this here. Pardon me for any grammatical errors, but English is not my native language.

I´ve been into flight simulation for over two decades now. Aviation is one of the biggest passions of my life, but in one of those ironies of life, I actually ended up in law school, and now I work mostly with taxation on a federal and state level in Brazil. Last year I went to flight school, but realized that it´s almost impossible at age 31 to start from scratch and become a major airliner pilot. General aviation is fine, but it´s the airline world that I´m fascinated about. I´m one of those freaks that get´s excited just by going to an airport.

Anyways, I got married and the first thing my wife said when she moved in was: the simulator need´s to go. I had a pretty decent setup in the main room of the house, with 3 big Monitors, a yoke, throttle, rudder pedals, and all these unsexy stuff that make our hobby more enjoyable and realistic. As a new phase in my life began, with a pain in my heart, I agreed to dismount everything and carefully stored all the equipment in my closet.

More recently, though, as I have started to travel a lot more in my work, after finally realizing I will never be a major airline pilot, I just got this feeling that I needed to have at least some hours a month of my little drug called Flight Simulator. Perhaps I wont even be able to do it on some occasions due to work, but I need to have that setup ready and available for me. I know it´s old, clunky, unstable and expensive if you are serious about it, but that´s probably the closest I´ll get to understanding and operating some of the complex systems of a modern passengers jet. When I heard that PMDG had released it´s 777, I said, that´s it. I need to get back to this business.

I had a conversation with my wife and she kindly agreed to let me use the back room of the apartment as the Nerd´s Room as we both call it now. I don´t know how many more years our hobby will survive as a viable industry for developers, but the satisfaction I´m having flying with the latest addons and sceneries from PMDG, Aerosoft, brazilian developer Paulo Ricardo, FSDreamTeam, Flytampa and like are nothing I have ever experienced.

Then I realized the obvious: it´s up to us to keep supporting those companies and together, as a community, we will figure out how the future of flight simulation will be. In any case, I´m making sure I backup all my addons for future use, because, in the worst case scenario, at least I will continue to be able to experience a little bit of the thrill that is to be in a jetliner cockpit.

My thanks to all the community and to the developers for the great times I´m having on the simulator! I made this other post with some screenshots from the past days.

Cheers!

Well said. I am in a similar predicament. I am getting married next summer God willing. Despite my partner not having an issue with my setup, just finding the time to keep ontop of flight sim will be tough. It will go from being a passion to a hobby.

I guess thats life!

Comentários muito agradáveis e precisos que, como Comunidade, temos de apoiar todos os colaboradores (pagamento e freeware) bem como sites como AVSIM. Também foi muito gentil de sua esposa que lhe um quarto de "nerd". Desde que você é jovens apenas 31 anos, você tem tempo de sobra para seguir outra carreira. Se as estatísticas são precisas a maioria de nós tem pelo menos 2 ou 3 carreiras em nosso tempo de vida. Melhores votos e não desista de seus sonhos!

VERY nice comments and accurate that we, as a community, need to support all the developers (pay and freeware) as well as sites like AVSIM. It was also very kind of your wife to let you have a "nerd" room. Since you are only 31 years young, you have plenty of time to pursue another career. If statistics are accurate most of us have at least 2 or 3 careers in our life time. Best wishes and do not give up on those dreams!

Happy Flying!!!

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

Nice to hear from you! Wish you many happy hours in the virtual cockpit.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Is it really impossible to become an airline pilot at age 31? I always thought the financial stability would be an advantage... 

Anyway, nice message. I certainly second your thanks.

Nice message.  I've been hooked on this hobby since the very early days.  I never had enough time to do all that I want to do in flightsim.  In the meantime I went for age 32 (1982 - the sub logic flightsim days) to now age 63 (FSX and P3D), had three kids, now have four grandkids.

Other real world issues, family matters, hobbies and interests keep me going from dawn to dusk.

I will always recommend having a diverse set of interests so that you can jump between them and your interest in flightsim will remain high.

cheers.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3