Hi fellow pilots,

Not been here for a while and I want to get flying again. In my case I need a new computer.
Because you know more about, I have some questions.

My situation : FSX with as many good sceneries and PMDG B737 or better. HD quality. Here are 2 screens. 24 inch plus 19 inch.

Window 7 or 8
It is said that Windows 7 would be better for using FSX than the 8 version. Why?

RAM
Memory as much as possible. Think of 32Mb. Really necessary, useful?

Hard Drive
Combination of 256Gb SSD and 1Tb Sata. This would make the computer boot much faster.

Graphics

4Gb Nvidia GeForce GTX 690. It is claimed that the card is too heavy. Errors and faults. This is because the FSX actually a rather old system. True?

Software
Windows 7 Ultimate. Need for 32Mb RAM. Ultimate has real benefits, as I read?

Hope someone can help me.

Greetings

Loek

Here's my recommendation.

CPU: 4770K

RAM: 8GB 2400MHz CL9

Disk: Separate SSD for FSX

Graphics card: GTX 780

Richard Åsberg

More than 4GB memory is unnecessary because FSX cannot allocate more than thT for use due to its 32GB nature,

Create 2 OS installs... 1 for general work and such, and the other only for FSX .. 2 drives - 2 OS installs..

8 Gig of RAM, quad core processor unlocked overclocked to 4 to 4.5 GHz...., Corsair or equivalent H50 or better closed loop water cooled CPU cooler ( cheap and effective )..

I like Win 7 64 bit... no experience with win 8 ..

I use nvidia 660 card, but FSX is CPU bound so it isn't so important..

You should be able to get a motherboard and CPU for $300 - $350 or so ..

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

It is said that Windows 7 would be better for using FSX than the 8 version. Why?

Windows 7 is more compatible, Windows 8 does work a little better with threading.

Memory as much as possible. Think of 32Mb. Really necessary, useful?

For FSX, 8GB is enough, FSX can use upto 4GB so you need some for the OS to operate under, hence 8GB.

Combination of 256Gb SSD and 1Tb Sata.

Buy as much SSD (SATA 6Gb/s) as you can afford, Samsung EVO 1TB if you can afford it, photo scenery will consume a lot of space.

4Gb Nvidia GeForce GTX 690.

I would go with a single GPU 680 or 780 4GB

Windows 7 Ultimate.

Ultimate is not needed for FSX.

After reading the advice and looking to my financ I think about the next:

Intel® Core™ i7-4930K Processor (6-cores, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.0 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bits
3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780
16.384 MB (4 x 4 GB) 1.600 MHz Quad Channel DDR3
256 GB SSD - Solid State-drive + 1 TB - SATA II, 7.200 rpm, 32 MB cache

So OK?

Loek

After reading the advice and looking to my financ I think about the next:

Intel® Core™ i7-4930K Processor (6-cores, 12MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.0 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64-bits

3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780

16.384 MB (4 x 4 GB) 1.600 MHz Quad Channel DDR3

256 GB SSD - Solid State-drive + 1 TB - SATA II, 7.200 rpm, 32 MB cache

So OK?

Loek

If I were you I would rather get 8 GB (2x4) 2400mhz CL9 RAM if the computer is mainly for FSX. You will benefit more from the added speed rather than having 16 GB which FSX won't use anyway.

Richard Åsberg

It will be a Dell. This is the only possibillity.

Regards

Loek

OK, that is one of the main reasons why I always choose to build my own computers where I get to pick exactly the components I want myself rather than having to stick with pre-selected configurations. Also you will often be able to spend less money on equal performance if you build your own PC.

I do realize though not everyone can or want to build their own PC but if building your own PC is an I would strongly suggest doing so.

Richard Åsberg

Sorry Loek, I didn't imply you couldn't build your own PC. What I meant to say was that I understand if not everyone can (or want) to build their own PC but in your case I have no doubt you could build your own PC and thus that is what I would recommend rather than buying a pre-built PC where you will have to compromise looking at the configuration and where you will not be able to get the best possible components.

Nice ship BTW :)

Richard Åsberg

4930K will have it's RAM in a quad channel config so 4 sticks is probably what you want there.

Seeing as it's a dell, do you have a link to the product page maybe we can take a look at?