Sign in to follow this  
Raymundo

DirectX 11

I am anxiously awaiting the release of  2.0 however, I have a question regarding video cards.  What will happen to those of us who have not yet upgraded our video cards to ones with DX11 capabilities?

Not much, unless developers start to make 100% compatible DX11 sceneries for a 100% DX11 compatible platform you'r good to go with what you have.

V 2.X uses tesselation and other important DX11-only-features for terrain rendering and I'm quite sure you won't be able to run V 2.X without a DX11 card.

Flo

I agree with Flo. But, perhaps it comes with DX9 option like FsX has Dx10 option. So, you can run it with old hardware. But, I guess it'll be without those cool features and not so different than current version. Well, I am not tech guru, it's pure speculation.

Without DX11 V. 2.X wouldn't offer a performance gain or a visual upgrade but LM would have to do a lot of additional coding to make it run with DX9. And since DX11 cards have been around for 5 or more years now almost everybody has a DX11 card today. So what exactly would be the benefit for LM to offer a DX9 option?

It's an educated guess to say that a DX11 card will be part of the minimum requirements.

Flo

Edit: First DX11 cards actually in 2009.

Don't want to start a new topic but it seems to fit in here quite well:

thinking about upgrading my graphic card to a GTX770. There are 2 flavours: 2 and 4 GB of RAM.

Do you think P3D might take advantage of a higher amount of memory taking their new approach into consideration?

Thx!

CPU: Ryzen 5600 no OC, MB: MSI Tomahawk B450, RAM: 32GB DDR 3600, GPU: RX6900XT, 2TB SDD, Res: WQHD

2 GB is still a lot...but I would go for 4 GB if you don't plan to upgrade your GPU in less than 18 month.

XP10 already consumes more than 2 GB with detailed custom scenery and high resolution...

Flo

V 2.X uses tesselation and other important DX11-only-features for terrain rendering and I'm quite sure you won't be able to run V 2.X without a DX11 card.

Flo

And the point is? You will not see the benefit of DX11 game or sceneries (read tessellation) on a DX9 or DX10 card but you will be able to use such cards for P3D as you already can for FSX, so far no sceneries for FSX or P3D have been released by developers with tessellation in mind, so tessellation means noting for today's sceneries for FSX or P3D visually speaking.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tessellation.html

http://www.behardware.com/articles/838-1/crysis-2-dx11-a-closer-look-at-performance-and-tessellation.html

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,696171/DirectX-11-Tessellation-in-Stalker-CoP-Dirt-2-Unigine-and-Alien-vs-Predator/News/

I hope this help with the confusion.

so tessellation means noting for today's sceneries for FSX or P3D visually speaking.

Yeah, that's not true.

For V2 we pass the raw elevation model to the GPU and generate the mesh on the card. If you have a powerful enough GPU, you will be able to max out the tessellation factor and get very dense mesh all the way out to the horizon.

Mesh (and water possibly) are where tessellation is most valuable and it will work out of the box on P3D's mesh rendering to provide sharper detail. 

Scenery also doesn't have to be designed for tessellation. It's better if it is but it's not required. 

Also, I expected you to run here and post the good news about vsync...

"Prepar3d 2.0 offers several options which allow you to control vsync as well as adding support for triple buffering to further increase smoothness. We do allow for 1/2 refresh rate vsync, as well as 1/3 and 1/4. Additionally, with vsync enabled, some graphics card drivers will dynamically adjust the vsync level to match the frame rates you are able to achieve."

You will not see the benefit of DX11 game or sceneries (read tessellation) on a DX9 or DX10 card but you will be able to use such cards for P3D as you already can for FSX

No no no! If P3D 2.0 is DX11 only, then any card that doesn't support dx11 (like the GTX285 Raymundo has) will not be able to run P3D 2.0 AT ALL or any other dx11 title for that matter.

A non dx11 card will only work if there is an option to run P3D 2.0 in dx9/dx10 mode, but I doubt there will be such an option.

I assume, but cant say for a fact, P3D V2 will tell you your hardware doesnt meat min requirements when trying to install if one doesnt have a DX10/11 video card. Hint

DX10 mode was ripped out of the code in P3D 1.0.

It's not coming back. DX11 is it. 

I am anxiously awaiting the release of 2.0 however, I have a question regarding video cards. What will happen to those of us who have not yet upgraded our video cards to ones with DX11 capabilities?

10 gosub checkP3D20Avail

sub checkP3D20Avail

If avail

gosub BuyInstall

Else

Return

Endif

End sub

Sub BuyInstall

Read forums

RTFM

Run 2.0

IF NewCardNeeded

Read forums

Buy hot new NVidia card

Else

Don't

End sub

C

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

It will depend on how V2.0 is coded.

DirectX11 can determine the capabilities of a graphics card by checking its feature levels The default levels are 11_11 (which needs the 11.1 run time), 11_0, 10_1, 10_0, 9_3, 9_2, and 9_1.

Whether  the application runs or not will depend on whether it's been coded to handle the graphics card's  particular feature level or not. If not then it will have to exit.

For example, only  11.1, and 11_0 support the hull and domain shaders needed for tessellation. If a graphics card doesn't support them there would need to be code to bypass those shaders for the application to run.

And the point is? You will not see the benefit of DX11 game or sceneries (read tessellation) on a DX9 or DX10 card but you will be able to use such cards for P3D as you already can for FSX, so far no sceneries for FSX or P3D have been released by developers with tessellation in mind, so tessellation means noting for today's sceneries for FSX or P3D visually speaking.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tessellation.html

http://www.behardware.com/articles/838-1/crysis-2-dx11-a-closer-look-at-performance-and-tessellation.html

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,696171/DirectX-11-Tessellation-in-Stalker-CoP-Dirt-2-Unigine-and-Alien-vs-Predator/News/

I hope this help with the confusion.

The whole P3D V 2.0 is build with DX11 "in mind"...so what the hell are you talking about???

And this thread is about V 2.0 only (see OP).

Flo