Sign in to follow this  
Raymundo

DirectX 11

No no no! If P3D 2.0 is DX11 only, then any card that doesn't support dx11 (like the GTX285 Raymundo has) will not be able to run P3D 2.0 AT ALL or any other dx11 title for that matter.

A non dx11 card will only work if there is an option to run P3D 2.0 in dx9/dx10 mode, but I doubt there will be such an option.

There hasn't been any game/program/whatever that is DX11 ONLY.

Normally, you just can't enable any DX11 effects like tesselation.

I doubt they will make it DX11 only as I doubt even half of the users have a DX11 GPU.

Looked up dx11 cards. I'd suggest looking up your specific card, but generally speaking

Nvidia: GT 430 and better

ATI: 5450 and better

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Yeah, that's not true.

For V2 we pass the raw elevation model to the GPU and generate the mesh on the card. If you have a powerful enough GPU, you will be able to max out the tessellation factor and get very dense mesh all the way out to the horizon.

Mesh (and water possibly) are where tessellation is most valuable and it will work out of the box on P3D's mesh rendering to provide sharper detail. 

Scenery also doesn't have to be designed for tessellation. It's better if it is but it's not required. 

Also, I expected you to run here and post the good news about vsync...

"Prepar3d 2.0 offers several options which allow you to control vsync as well as adding support for triple buffering to further increase smoothness. We do allow for 1/2 refresh rate vsync, as well as 1/3 and 1/4. Additionally, with vsync enabled, some graphics card drivers will dynamically adjust the vsync level to match the frame rates you are able to achieve."

Dear bonchie, I did exactly that, your expectations were fulfill, I ran here and posted it  :rolleyes:  , the post was hidden, you can ask Jim about it and the reason as to why he did it, no need for apologies but I'll take it... :Just Kidding:

It is true that you will be able to max out your card if the card is powerful enough BUT the performance will also suffer, I have Crysis 2 and I can assure you that maxing out the graphic does a number on performance, and we are talking about a today's CryEngine, you just can't add or max out a card and get the same FPS result as if you were running the sliders at middle range, what I was saying is that no matter what is V2.0 add on developers did not make their FSX/P3D's sceneries DX11 compatible, and that's what I was referring to when talking about the visual aspect, Crysis 2 was patched after released to be able to run in full DX11 compatibility mode as the game was made with DX10 features.

I doubt they will make it DX11 only as I doubt even half of the users have a DX11 GPU.

Yes you're probably right. I might be wrong about the dx11 only stuff, sorry.

Lockheed Martin doesn't care about AVSIM users or Computers with old tech.  P3D 2.0 is DX11 only just like P3D 1.4 was DX9 only.

Lockheed Martin doesn't care about AVSIM users or Computers with old tech.  P3D 2.0 is DX11 only just like P3D 1.4 was DX9 only.

3d-oublier.gif

Steam reports that about 2/3 of it's users have DX11 cards.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?l=english

IMHO the main question is what P3D 2.0 would offer within a DX10 or even DX9 "mode"?

Wouldn't it perform and look like Prepar3D 1.4 or even worse? What would be the benefit except some people with dusty hardware would be able to run V2.0 - @12 FPS?

Flo

I think this is as close as we can get to an answer right now:

bhollis from LM:

Re: Directx 11.2 screens
on: July 5, 2013, 12:01

We haven't made a final decision on requirements for 2.0. The core rendering system has a solid framework in place for supporting down-level hardware. It even supports d3d10 and d3d11 cards side by side on the same machine. Undocking a view and dragging it to the d3d10 monitor triggers the effects to be recompiled at a lower shader model. If we can, we would like to support the broadest set of hardware possible. That said, the terrain improvements mentioned above do currently require d3d11. This is one of the first cases where we hit something that would require us to implement a separate solution for d3d10 or keep the legacy mesh and lighting system around as a fallback. We may eventually hit a tipping point where supporting d3d10 hardware can't be done without degrading the performance for d3d11 users or or maintaining multiple implementations of the same feature.

Prepar3D Software Engineer

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=2971

Cheers

Flo

I think this is as close as we can get to an answer right now:

bhollis from LM:

Re: Directx 11.2 screens

on: July 5, 2013, 12:01

We haven't made a final decision on requirements for 2.0. The core rendering system has a solid framework in place for supporting down-level hardware. It even supports d3d10 and d3d11 cards side by side on the same machine. Undocking a view and dragging it to the d3d10 monitor triggers the effects to be recompiled at a lower shader model. If we can, we would like to support the broadest set of hardware possible. That said, the terrain improvements mentioned above do currently require d3d11. This is one of the first cases where we hit something that would require us to implement a separate solution for d3d10 or keep the legacy mesh and lighting system around as a fallback. We may eventually hit a tipping point where supporting d3d10 hardware can't be done without degrading the performance for d3d11 users or or maintaining multiple implementations of the same feature.

Prepar3D Software Engineer

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=2971

Cheers

Flo

Thanks for that, I was looking for this exact quote earlier.

I hope they drop legacy support and require d3d11 cards. Focus on the future and forget about d3d9 and 10.

DX10/DX11 usually work on the same code path.  So you should be able to use a DX10 only GPU with P3D V2.x but will not get all the benefits DX11 hardware support (tessellation and a few other goodies).

As listed in LM's answer from Flo's info above ... I'd be surprised if there were any "tipping points" where LM couldn't support D3D10.  But even if they ran into road block, DX11 only hardware is cheap (GT 430 is $45 - not suggesting you use this card, just letting you know DX11 exclusivity isn't going to break the bank).

here is a list of DX11 GPUs: http://solidlystated.com/hardware/list-of-directx-11-video-cards/

I think the more difficult transition will be for those running WinXP (35% market share) which does not support DX11.

DirectX 10 cards can run DirectX 11 applications, except that they can't take advantage of Shader Model 5.0, tessellation, multi-threaded rendering and compute shaders.

I am anxiously awaiting the release of  2.0 however, I have a question regarding video cards.  What will happen to those of us who have not yet upgraded our video cards to ones with DX11 capabilities?

I don't mean to be rude, but your question belongs in the LM forums,  I'm sure you'll get the RIGHT answer there. After all I don't think anybody here works or is part of the P3D development group.

Everything posted here in regards to whether P3D is DX11 only or not, is pure speculation!

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I am anxiously awaiting the release of  2.0 however, I have a question regarding video cards.  What will happen to those of us who have not yet upgraded our video cards to ones with DX11 capabilities?

If you don't have a DX11 capable card then your card is probably old enough that it's going to have some issues with V2.0.

Just talking pure horsepower here. 

Any of the more modern cards, 400 series, etc - will run P3D 2.0 - the question is how well. LM has already stated that the more bells and whistles you want, the better your card. Just like when FSX was new - higher sliders required better CPU/Video.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Any card that supports shader 3 should work with DX11. And whoever said they ripped DX10 out! What total rubbish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!