Sign in to follow this  
chad556

Word of Caution if coming or going to Guam in FSX

I had the same issue here.  I deactivated 38 bgls, mainly all the various ones with cars, cabs, buses, people cows etc  . . .) -  got it work acceptably.  Much of what I removed was smaller items, really did not see a visual difference flying in and out in heavy iron.

Overall I like the author's efforts, hope he looks at a VAS friendly v3.

Joe Lorenc

Wow, I just checked your PC specs, given the powerhouse of computer you are running that is amazing.

Interesting, while I have not tried that scenery, in all my years with a heavily loaded FSX, I have never had an OOM error.  Lucky me.

What a completely pointless and unnecessary comment, this is a topic about OOM errors with certain freeware scenery. Nobody cares that you back off on sliders and don't run much complicated addons.

I'm using Radeon 6990 which has 4GB of video memory and I don't have problems with OOM while using DX9.

And I have a 7970 with 3 GBs of ram and I fly all over the place for hours in DirectX9 and I've never seen an OOM ever. This is over FTX scenery in the PMG js41.

I have to call BS on the video card RAM affecting the VAS.

What a completely pointless and unnecessary comment, this is a topic about OOM errors with certain freeware scenery. Nobody cares that you back off on sliders and don't run much complicated addons.

Wow David! If you didn't care why insult me like this.  It's a face value comment, nothing more, nothing less and your appraisal is totally false. If a reader does not care or things the comment of no value...then just move on.  I said that I did not have that scenery, I said that given the powerhouse of a computer the fellow has that that is amazing. And that I'm lucky to not have OOM errors. I did not pass judgement.  Some people just make face value comments, and there is not intent or hidden meaning.

FYI - (and this is a face value comment in response to your interest in my setup - nothing more and nothing less, this is not mine is bigger than yours)  and I have all sliders at max, although I do drop back autogen to dense from extreme when in high urban areas. I run traffic, road, aircraft AI, ships etc at 20%.  I have over 600 layers of scenery, many purchased 100s of scenery scenery products including almost every Orbx product not including the recent England airports, FS Addon Vancouver Plus, Victoria Plus, Tongass Fjords, MIsty Fjords, FS Dream Team airports etc etc,  I have UTX, I have GEX, I have REX, I have Instant approach, Instant Scenery, and many other addons....I have 100s of planes, a huge suite of commercial addon planes. I have 100s of freeware sceneries, 100s of freeware planes.

The total size of my FSX = 443 gigs, not including some photoscenery from Bluesky that I keep on another drive because of its size and I turn it on and off as I feel appropriate.

Have a good day.

• Upvote 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Hmm. Curiously enough, I have had the scenery since before its release, but I have yet to visit it :/

The ILS frequencies are also incorrect. 

IIRC the scenery was made shortly before some rebuilding was done in Guam... might be the reason.

With that said, I challenge any of you to load up at PGUM in the PMDG 737NGX using the freeware scenery named Guam X V2 by Morten

I fly into and out of PGUM a couple times a month with this scenery and the PMDG B747/MD11 and do not have any problems.

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

And I have a 7970 with 3 GBs of ram and I fly all over the place for hours in DirectX9 and I've never seen an OOM ever. This is over FTX scenery in the PMG js41.

I have to call BS on the video card RAM affecting the VAS.

ORBX use their textures in a very efficient way. They never fill my 1 GB VRAM despite all the details, so they won't fill your 3 GB, either.

And I've learned today, it's not the complete VRAM that gets mirrored in VAS but only the actual VRAM in use (and there's probably more 'fineprint' to that).

I fly into and out of PGUM a couple times a month with this scenery and the PMDG B747/MD11 and do not have any problems.

That's surprising (to put it mildly), given that the scenery on its own appears to take up nearly 4 GB of VAS. Have you deactivated any bgls?

Genuinely curious--I'm not trolling.

James

• Upvote 1

That's surprising (to put it mildly), given that the scenery on its own appears to take up nearly 4 GB of VAS. Have you deactivated any bgls?

James

I agree. I simply don't see how it's possible to fly into it out of this scenery without ooms. Running a vas memory tool clearly shows it taking up 3.9gb of vas immediately upon loading up in the default Cessna 172. Also, the author of the scenery replied to the email I sent him asking about a fix. He was kind and acknowledged the issue. He said he was aware of the vas memory usage and that he is diligently working to correct it. The only way I can fathom using this scenery is with horrible anti aliasing settings, no weather, and mid sliders. Even then you'll be lucky to me it to your destination airport without an oom.

James

I flew it today from VHHH to PGUM using the PMDG B747 and my VAS on landing was 3.2.

Billy Bluestar

I flew it today from VHHH to PGUM using the PMDG B747 and my VAS on landing was 3.2.

Billy Bluestar

please answer the following then:

Water settings?

Anti Aliasing settings?

Auto Gen slider setting?

Other slider settings?

Any additional texture programs such as FTX or GEX?

Any mesh addons such as FS Global or fs genesis?

what (if any) weather were you using?

Was there addon scenery where you departed?

I downloaded that same freeware PGUM scenery several months back and deleted it off my system with a quickness.  I knew I was in for a slide show when the default trike was barely making double digit frames.  I think it takes some sort of super computer to power it as Aerosoft's KLAX, for example, runs fine on my machine as do many others.

Chris Sunseri

Water settings?

Anti Aliasing settings?

Auto Gen slider setting?

Other slider settings?

Any additional texture programs such as FTX or GEX?

Any mesh addons such as FS Global or fs genesis?

what (if any) weather were you using?

Was there addon scenery where you departed?

AA=1 and Anisotropic=1 (fsx.cfg)

Auto-Gen = Dense

Other Sliders = Max except Water=High2.x

FTX Global

FS Genesis

Active Sky 2012

Image Simulation - VHHH

Something you might look at is this thread - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/413244-some-changes-ryan-made-to-my-fsx/ where Ryan did some work on a PC that was struggling. When I saw the results, my machine was very close to this on as far as set up.

I follow Ryan's lead on these things because of his vast knowledge of PMDG and FSX.

Billy Bluestar

Thanks Billy, I will look it over. If what you are saying is true, then many of us are clearly doing something very wrong. I'll look over that thread and report back.

Thanks Billy, I will look it over. If what you are saying is true, then many of us are clearly doing something very wrong. I'll look over that thread and report back.

Some very good information about VAS can be found by doing a Google search under the term "VAS reminder – turning off airports".

Basically if I'm not using the sceneries, I turn them off.

Billy Bluestar