Ok so I was watching tv so I decided to walk across the room and check my flights progress. I must have picked up static electrity because when I touched one of the plastic buttons on the yoke I felt one heck of a shock and my computers speakers popped. Now the Hatswitch causes the view point to spin around in circles I can hold it and stop the rotation but the view won't go back the other way. The button I hit no longer works and for some reason it caused my flaps to deploy.....The main flight controls still function luckly since I'm inflight from KIAD to EBBR. I've had this CH Yoke for about 8 years so its been a great yoke and I hope I can fix it.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Try recalibrating to start with. See if that makes any difference. Switch it to a diff USB port too.

Dean
Manager - PC Aviator Australia

Retailing Sim DVD Software, Downloads, Hardware and Accessories

It probably wouldnt be the button as much as the controler USB interface board. But as stated, it may have just injected a bunch of ironious numbers.

This is what is shows with no buttons pressed. As you can see it shows the hat pushed right and other swtiches pressed that aren't being pressed oddly the flap up fuction still works but the flaps down doesn't (same switch just the down part isn't working)

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Have you rebooted the computer? Next try disconnecting the yoke and reconnecting. If not goodbye interface board.

Have you rebooted the computer? Next try disconnecting the yoke and reconnecting. If not goodbye interface board.

Just rebooted/unpluged yoke and still have the same issue. I wonder why it fired the board. I touched plastic.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

100000 volts of static electricity likes to find a home. 20000 v can arc up to an inch. You next determination is if it damaged the USB controller on the computer MB. Do you have another USB device you can plug into the port you are using for the yoke?

I'm surprised that nobody's done an egg joke yet. :P

100000 volts of static electricity likes to find a home. 20000 v can arc up to an inch. You next determination is if it damaged the USB controller on the computer MB. Do you have another USB device you can plug into the port you are using for the yoke?

Yea my throttle and rudder pedels are working fine when I try them in that port. Guess the yoke took the brunt of it. Guess I gotta buy a new one :(

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thats probably a good thing dave. Now the bad news. I tried to buy some replacement pots for my CH rudder pedals and they told me they no longer sell replacement parts. I suppose you could send it to them for repair. But shipping, replacement parts and labor. probably buy a new one for about the same price. If these low cost controllers had more of a metal frame, sattic discharges would be dissipated in the frame. Since there is no metal, the pCB is the path of least resistane. Lesson I reckon. You may check with Bob Church at the Ch Hanger. hes the CH guru. sorry this had to happen

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/

Thats probably a good thing dave. Now the bad news. I tried to buy some replacement pots for my CH rudder pedals and they told me they no longer sell replacement parts. I suppose you could send it to them for repair. But shipping, replacement parts and labor. probably buy a new one for about the same price. If these low cost controllers had more of a metal frame, sattic discharges would be dissipated in the frame. Since there is no metal, the pCB is the path of least resistane. Lesson I reckon. You may check with Bob Church at the Ch Hanger. hes the CH guru. sorry this had to happen

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/

I'd rather it be the yoke then the Mobo and everything attached to it. Newegg is having a sale on them so they are only $95 right now. I guess I'll have penty of parts for the new one if it ever breaks lol. It just makes me sad that after 8 years it got taken out by static electricty. I'm gonna put some metal on my desk to touch first from now on.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

8 yrs is a good run. it sure didnt hurt ya any! Touching  an unmainted metal screw on you your computer case should disspate any charges. thats why cases are made out of metal, not only to block RF interfeance but to disspate any static charges also. Just make sure the metals grounded or it will act like a capacitor and store the charge. kepping the humidity high and cool in a room can prevent Lightning Bolt build up in the first place.

I tried to buy some replacement pots for my CH rudder pedals and they told me they no longer sell replacement parts.

Have you tried this site Rendi? http://www.res-rich.com/chproducts_com/www.chproducts.com/shop/parts.html

That's where I got my last two pots from.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hardware Controllers & Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.