Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

Anyone have the Virtavia C-17?

Found the C-17 on sale and was thinking of getting it. Anyone own it and can provide some thoughts on it.

I realize that Virtavia planes are "light", but was wondering just how light.  You know...flight model, navigation, sounds (which are touted as from Turbine studios), etc.

Appreciate any feedback.

I wonder as well. Quite a steep price, so I'd be looking for some advice before purchase.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

It';s fine at half off.  The VC is OK or better (remember - a few years old now); the overhead panel less so.  The exterior is well-shaped; a little bland but then so is the actual aircraft. It will hold an FSX flight plan well - no VNAV, but both knot and mach airspeed holds.  It is agile enough for a large bird, as it is in real life, but still has a good sense of its size.  It is actually equipped with a joystick, which is a bit more of a challenge to fly than with a yoke. Some of the VC buttons don't seem to match up with their 2D counterparts, but I usually fly VC-only anyway.  The HUD is virtually impossible to use in VC mode, too small.  The sounds are very good.

So overall I'd call it mediocre plus, but she grows on you. I've installed an ISG FMC (which also has some new nav panel mods, see their site for screenshots). Throw in AccuFeel and you have a fun enough large military transport tor under $20.

Hans Soule

As flibinite said, it is probably worth about half the price they charge for it. The VC modelling might not be state-of-the-art, but I've seen far worse, and the exterior is actually quite good.

Keep in mind that this is not a systems simulation, but rather a default-like plane (that's why I'd say 34 Euros are not a good price, but as said, it's not so bad at half off or so.)

The nominal price of USD 70 made me ROFL, but at USD 15 it's worth considering:

- unusual flight dynamics (see the attitude/AoA on landing!)

- easy to operate (most military stuff has piston engines to fiddle with, this one's a jet)

- STOL capabilities (including reverse thrust in the air to steepen descents)

USD 15 seems o.k. for a fun plane like that.

As has been said this is not an aircraft for someone who likes to fly strictly by the systems - for that stick with the PMDG 777, Majestic Q400, IFly 737 etc - but if you want a big aircraft that's a bit different, it is nicely modelled both inside and out and sounds good. Frankly I quite like it! Rightly or wrongly I tend to use it like a big bush plane (it is very manouverable) and give myself challenges flying into short or unprepared strips which can be fun! I paid the full price for this and don't regret it, but would consider it a very good deal at the offer price and would recommend it (but not if full systems replication are important to you!).

Bill

The CS C-130 more than fits the fill for C-17 wannabee pilots. I highly recommend you take a look at it if you are on the fence about the C-17 and want a military transport at about that size.

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I have it and was extremely disappointed that a flight manual of sorts is not included. No nothing along those lines, no speeds, or flying data.

Supports response was something like - all that stuff is secret, this is a military airplane. Well surprise surprise.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a low 2 at best. At 80% off I wouldn't recommend it.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I have it and was extremely disappointed that a flight manual of sorts is not included. No nothing along those lines, no speeds, or flying data.

Supports response was something like - all that stuff is secret, this is a military airplane. Well surprise surprise.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a low 2 at best. At 80% off I wouldn't recommend it.

Ray

- 31 pages manual included (systems explained)

- inflight speed tables included

- inflight (normal) checklists included

(EDIT: That's for the Virtavia C-17; the CS C-130 comes with a 250 pp. manual in the Justflight box and CS' own manuals are available from their support system/knowledge base.)

Edited by olli4740

- 31 pages manual included (systems explained)

- inflight speed tables included

- inflight (normal) checklists included

(EDIT: That's for the Virtavia C-17; the CS C-130 comes with a 250 pp. manual in the Justflight box and CS' own manuals are available from their support system/knowledge base.)

I got the c-130 about 4 years ago (CS) and enjoyed it. I had a sound problem that was never corrected AFAIK. I received none of the C-17 manuals, speeds or checklist and Support seemed to think that was normal. Surprise surprise.

Ray

I got the c-130 about 4 years ago (CS) and enjoyed it. I had a sound problem that was never corrected AFAIK. I received none of the C-17 manuals, speeds or checklist and Support seemed to think that was normal. Surprise surprise.

Ray

O.k. I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the C-17 or to the C-130. All clear now. Still waiting for a working VNAV on the CS 777 myself!   :lol:

The CS C-130 more than fits the fill for C-17 wannabee pilots. I highly recommend you take a look at it if you are on the fence about the C-17 and want a military transport at about that size.

The two planes are quite different in size. More like a pickup truck and a two-ton truck.

Ray

Anymore posting of information about an item on sale in this topic will lead to a warning and possible suspension.  I would advise everyone to read the pinned topic at the top of this forum before posting anymore reports of sales here.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Anymore posting of information about an item on sale in this topic will lead to a warning and possible suspension.  I would advise everyone to read the pinned topic at the top of this forum before posting anymore reports of sales here.

in all of the post here in this topic nobody even mentioned the store which have this on sale and op is just asking if the plane is worth its price.

I think this is a legit question and the thread shouldn't be closed just because someone asks about a product which happen to be coincidentally on sale without any mention on where its on sale.

edit:

if the store was mentioned and edited out by an mod then I might understand it ...

P.L. Tran

AMD Ryzen 5800x; 32 GB Ram; EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3; Win10 64 Bit