Sign in to follow this  
bpcw001

Anti-ice auto operation

Hi,

Since there is no real icing in FSX, am I right that wing/engine anti ice will never be triggered automatically as it is supposed in the real airplane when the sensors detect ice?

Thanks

Dave

Dave P. Woycek

Iv'e had the anti-ice system enable automatically when flying through a overcast layer. It was about 4°C so pretty nice!

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Since there is no real icing in FSX

If we're talking about the same thing, then that can be a common misunderstanding. Icing effects are aircraft dependent, both for aircraft systems and visually. There are several aircraft which model icing effects with systems, performance and visually.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have yet to see it in action but I suppose when winter gets here I will see it in action more, one thing to remember, auto mode foes not work on the ground, only in flight, if there's icing conditions on the ground you have to set the switches to ON

Wing anti ice doesn't work on the ground, no matter what the switch position is. It will work very breifly while it does a self test.

Engine anti ice will work on the ground.

Rob Prest

There is icing simulated in FSX, except FSX does it in a way that isn't real- it simply adds weight to the aircraft slowly (at different rates based upon severity), rather than physically simulating ice on the control surfaces. 

Pitot and engine intake icing are simulated as well, but they are very basic. 

Light, Moderate, and severe levels are programmed into the cloud layers, or simply programmed. It is up to the third-party weather simulation program to determine what is severe, and what is light.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Wing anti ice doesn't work on the ground, no matter what the switch position is. It will work very breifly while it does a self test.

Engine anti ice will work on the ground.

Funny, i could have sworn what i read was that the AUTO mode doesnt work on the ground, i know wing anti ice doesnt work on the ground for most boeing planes, i'll have another look at the manual.

it simply adds weight to the aircraft slowly (at different rates based upon severity)

I didnt even know FSX went as far as this, i will have to start paying more attention and applying Vref+ICE speeds where applicable.

777 wing anti ice works just like every other Boeing or Airbus, not available on the ground. On the Airbus you are not allowed to select it until flaps are up. On the 777 no limitations exist, the aircraft only has to be airborn.

Regarding ice as weight within FSX & FS9, I wouldn't be too worried about it, it takes a very long time for the weight to increase and even then the amount of weight is tiny.

I tested the icing years ago in FS9, I put the PMDG 744F in a holding pattern in freezing rain, It took well over an hour before the aircraft stalled.

Rob Prest

Funny, i could have sworn what i read was that the AUTO mode doesnt work on the ground, i know wing anti ice doesnt work on the ground for most boeing planes, i'll have another look at the manual.

I didnt even know FSX went as far as this, i will have to start paying more attention and applying Vref+ICE speeds where applicable.

It builds very slowly, not enough to really affect a jet or even a turboprop the king air's size. Interestingly enough, there is an ice gauge (freeware)  that was created in order to speed up this process and enhance the effect. 

FSCaptain is another utility that accomplishes the same thing, as well as some other "hazards" (ground friction and brake effectiveness reduced on contaminated runways). 

SimPhysicsX tries to go into detail as well, and will even allow you to deice and observe holdover times, as we do in the real world.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

SimPhysicsX tries to go into detail as well, and will even allow you to deice and observe holdover times, as we do in the real world.

That addon sounds interesting. Do you have it, what do you think, and does it work well with PMDG aircraft?

I would recommend SimPhysics for every simmer looking for a more realistic experience. Yes it works with PMDG. It is on my list of wouldn't fly without addons.

Rob Prest

Is it really so that SimPhysicsX is working and affecting PMDG birds ?

I found comments that it is not working well with 737NGX, did not find anything about 777.

Artur 

The PMDG JS41 has icing simulated. I start picking it up in the mid-levels when IMC and the temperature is below 8C. If I don't start the de-icing the aircraft will slowly start to slow.

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam