Sign in to follow this  
bpcw001

Anti-ice auto operation

Is it really so that SimPhysicsX is working and affecting PMDG birds ?

I found comments that it is not working well with 737NGX, did not find anything about 777.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/73806-sim-physics-and-anti-ice/

For me the only real important thing with SimPhysicsX is brake performance based on runway condition, wet/dry/contaminated etc.

Here is some info on the latest build.

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/74303-sim-physics-x-version-11-rolling-out-now/

Rob Prest

OK. I'll have a close look what happens when flying through icing conditions. Now, having fall and winter coming, this will get interesting.

Dave P. Woycek

I just took of from ENSB.

It was snowing and -5C. 

Snowing stopt above 5000ft but below that Anti Ice did not go on. I manually set it to on.

I used FS Global Real Weather, but it's doing the same with AS2012

777 wing anti ice works just like every other Boeing or Airbus, not available on the ground. On the Airbus you are not allowed to select it until flaps are up. On the 777 no limitations exist, the aircraft only has to be airborn.

Doesn't the 737 have the ability to operate wing anti ice on the ground? I seem to remember a solenoid holding the switch on until takeoff.

It was snowing and -5C. Snowing stopt above 5000ft but below that Anti Ice did not go on. I manually set it to on.

The plane has to detect ice accumulation.  If the snow does not melt and then refreeze on the plane, it's not going to kick the AI on.

One thing that simmers have difficulty with is the formula WATER + COLD = ICE.  Snow is technically already frozen/crystalline.  It would have to unfreeze, and then refreeze.  In order to do that, you'd have to warm it up.  A cold aircraft is not going to do that.

Kyle Rodgers

I just took of from ENSB.

It was snowing and -5C.

Snowing stopt above 5000ft but below that Anti Ice did not go on. I manually set it to on.

I used FS Global Real Weather, but it's doing the same with AS2012

The manual states auto anti ice has to detect ice to work, not simply that icing conditions occur. Maybe you didn't get any build up?

Doesn't the 737 have the ability to operate wing anti ice on the ground? I seem to remember a solenoid holding the switch on until takeoff.

As far as I am aware the 737 is like every other Boeing, you should have airflow over the slats while wing anti ice is in operation, you will get over heat issues and whole other bunch of issues if it was able to operate on the ground, not to mention it is less effective with the slats or LE devices out

Rob Prest

Also, look up "TAT, Total Air Temperature" as it plays a role in large jets. Even with a TAT within the icing range +10ºC to -40ºC SAT, lots of other factors play in (air density, pressure, type of precip).

Icing isn't that much of a factor in large heavy jets (when handled correctly, of course)

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

As far as I am aware the 737 is like every other Boeing, you should have airflow over the slats while wing anti ice is in operation, you will get over heat issues and whole other bunch of issues if it was able to operate on the ground, not to mention it is less effective with the slats or LE devices out

I checked the 737 FCOM; wing anti ice is available in the ground.

According to what FCOM, PMDG's? Take a look at a real FCOM from an airline and you will notice that multiple aircraft of the same type will vary in a multitude of ways.

I did a little a research and many NG's have it inhibited (except for a self test) some will allow it to be engaged with an auto shut off in the case of overheat detected 125c.

Anyway as mentioned it is SOP with companies not to use it on the ground for the reasons I mentioned previously.

Its strange that they allow it to be available on some NG's it serves no purpose on the ground except to cook the slats.

EDIT - Apologies for dragging on! I like to learn new things and was curious as to why Boeing gave this option for the 737 only, it seems it was a reaction to the 737 crash in Washington. I won't post the whole thing but here's a small part

Federal Aviation Administration, after studying recommendations growing out of the Boeing 737 crash in Washington in January, has declined to issue an order at this time requiring improvements in the anti-icing system or changes in takeoff procedures.

The agency told the National Transportation Safety Board on Tuesday that the Boeing Company, the plane's manufacturer, was conducting tests of the takeoff hazards raised by snow or ice on wings....

... Last week Boeing sent a notice to airlines that it had voluntarily taken steps so that all new 737's would have an improved system to prevent icing on the wings while a plane was waiting for takeoff. The company also asked its customers if they wished to incorporate the improvement on 737's already in use ...

Rob Prest

Sorry to revive this thread, but wondered if there are any patches that correct the interaction between ASN and PMDG 777?

I flew into IAD with minus 8C and heavy clouds with snow and not once did the Auto EAI come on.

I simulated the scenario with the standard default FSX weather disconnecting ASN and leaving the EAI in AUTO, it activated when it was within those clouds.

Many thanks and happy Christmas and New Year.

Jake Roberts