Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

Any update on the DC-6? Its been almost 2 years.

Agree. Will be the first PMDG product I will not buy - up until now I've bought everything. Not sure what the fuss is about this aircraft, but each to their own.

The DC-6 is the 777 of its day. I can assure you flying a 6 is alot harder than flying a 777 where a computer manages the engines and the autopilot cqn land the plane ect. Flying an appraoch by hand,managing 4 r-2800s is no easy task. Its not as easy to fly old planes as it is new

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

z06z33, on 28 Oct 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

I can assure you flying a 6 is alot harder than flying a 777

Thanks for your assurance!

z06z33, on 28 Oct 2013 - 12:21 AM, said:

Its not as easy to fly old planes as it is new

as I said "each to their own"

If it does it for you, great. It just isn't my thing.

David Porrett

I love the 777 but I too am really looking forward to the DC-6.  Something to be said about old airplanes and their ability to really teach you about flying and what it means to be a pilot.  The more automated planes become these days, the less the pilot is involved with actually flying the plane, becoming a 'flight manager'. 

Remember the joke....in the future airplanes will have a pilot and a dog.  The pilot's job will be to monitor systems.  The dog is there to bite the hand of the pilot if he/she touches anything. 

Given the 777's ultra long ranges, all those modern systems are very welcome for sure and those automations certainly have a place in aviation.  Now and then tho its good to be in an airplane with no FMS, no FADEC, no Magenta Line.

That and as mentioned above, the sound of 4 R2800s is a beautiful sound, like a big fleet of Harleys approaching.  B)

The DC-6 isn't exactly some ultra rare bird too.  I think there are roughly as many airworthy DC-6s as there are 777LRs in service.

I really hope DC-6 is a big seller, it will encourage more PMDG vintage planes.  Common PMDG, can you let the A2A boys accusim Robert's DC-3 for joint A2A/PMDG DC-3 and C-47 project?  A legend like the Gooney bird deserves no less.  :wub:  

Cheers

TJ

Common PMDG, can you let the A2A boys accusim Robert's DC-3 for joint A2A/PMDG DC-3 and C-47 project?  A legend like the Gooney bird deserves no less.    

I would very much enjoy this proposition:

IMAG1008.jpg

Kyle Rodgers

Doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Me neither, but if it were an L-1011 or DC-8 I would be on it release day.

Jim Burke

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, nobody's interested in the fact that you're not interested...

Doesn't interest me in the slightest.

The DC-6 is the 777 of its day. I can assure you flying a 6 is alot harder than flying a 777 where a computer manages the engines and the autopilot cqn land the plane ect. Flying an appraoch by hand,managing 4 r-2800s is no easy task. Its not as easy to fly old planes as it is new

This is why I won't buy it. It isn't something that can be flown by a single pilot.

This is why I won't buy it. It isn't something that can be flown by a single pilot.

Sure it can.  You just have to do a better job of prioritizing.  :smile:

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Guys, they gave us a whole lot of automatisation in the T7... Who's saying they can't implement some levels of automatisation in the DC-6?

There may be a range, going from "Pull yoke back, plane goes up." to "Watch the RPM's, manifold pressures, fuel gauges, oil pressure, temps,... ALL at once.", and a few levels in between.

PMDG has kept rather quiet about it, so we just can't tell.

Sure it can. You just have to do a better job of prioritizing. :smile:

Billy Bluestar

If we ask real nice FS2Crew or Multi Crew Experience might solve that issue

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If we ask real nice FS2Crew or Multi Crew Experience might solve that issue

Sounds like a most excellent solution.

Sounds like a most excellent solution

I think the reason I don't think it was a problem is I have big radial flight time did a lot multi-engine IFR flying without an autopilot during my military career. :smile:

Billy Bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam